Thoughts on "Describe a Challenge You've Faced" Question?

I'm filling out supplemental applications and I'm struggling with coming up with a good answer to this question. I have two in mind.

1.When my good friend's mother was abusive to her and how I handled the situation and helped her

2. When my half-brothers from Venezuela came to live with my family after not seeing my mother for many years when I was young and how that changed the family dynamic

I'm not sure which would be better to use. I know they want to see how you handle and respond to a challenging situation and what you learn from it. Any thoughts?

IMO the half-brother is probably more of a challenge to you on a daily basis and a good way to show how you can cope with changes in your daily routine/ stress. Not to undermine the friend's abusive mother approach (I'm sure it was challenging), but that may not be the best challenge to describe that YOU'VE faced. 

Take this opportunity to show the adcom your flexibility, ability to cope with stress both acutely and over the long term, and show them an opportunity for maturity.

Going back to the half-brother, how old you were when this happened may make a difference.  Try and pick something recent to show how you've grown when faced with your challenge.  If you were five when your half-brother moved in, it may not be the best example.

Agree that it's good to use an example from you adult life.  My guess is that they're fishing to see what stress management skills you possess that could help you through PA school.  Not to say children don't have these, but an adult example would showcase a much more pertinent and developed set of skills.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived