PA Applicant Stats Page

Guest UMDeeMan

@spflynn4 I have around 900 hours volunteering with hospice, 75 ish hours working with injured athletes in my college's training room, and 800 hours volunteering for a crisis hotline. (From what I can tell some schools will count that, some won't). I also have recently gotten a job as a resident care assistant at a group home, so I'll have like 320 hours there before I apply and that will be ongoing

It's really going to depend on the school. I applied with similar stats but with more hce, and you can see my results above. Most of the opinions on this forum will probably tell you to hold off for a cycle, which isn't really the worst idea in the world. If you really want to apply directly out of undergrad, try to apply broadly and really focus on your personal statement, but keep accumulating hce and know that there's a chance that you'll have to apply more than once.

Undergrad:  Portland State University  (BS Molecular/Microbiology - graduated August 2015)

Cumulative GPA:  3.41

Cumulative Science GPA:  3.24

CASPA Submitted: May 2015 to top choices and early June to the rest

CASPA Verified:  Within a week

GRE: V161, Q150, W 4.0

HCE: 23 years as a paramedic

Shadowing: 24 hours with a hospitalist PA

LOR:  Hospitalist PA, Paramedic Training Officer, Biology Professor

Schools Applied: UW Medex, OHSU, Pacific, Samuel Merritt, UC Davis, Marshall B. Ketchum, Charles Drew (missed a needed med term prereq), was willing to add more if needed!

Interviews:  UW Medex (Sept), OHSU (Oct), Samuel Merritt (declined), Marshall B. Ketchum (declined)

Interview Waitlist:  None

Rejected:  OHSU, Pacific, UC Davis

Accepted:  UW Medex

Attending:  UW Medex!!

Attempt:  2nd

Last cycle, I applied in late August to UW Medex, OHSU, and Pacific.  I was still in progress to get my BS degree.  I was interviewed by OHSU and UW Medex... with a rejection from OHSU and a waitlist from UW after attending their very last interview.  I learned my lesson and applied EARLY this cycle!  I turned in the apps for my top 2 schools in May and the others in early June to see if I could get early interviews at the schools I wanted most and save some traveling fees.  It seemed to work since I was interviewed at UW Medex during their first interview of the cycle and accepted less than a week later thus allowing me to decline other interviews out of the area.  I do recommend interviewing at at least a couple of schools because there is definitely a feel at each and you want to fit in and be comfortable even if it isn't the closest program or the one you thought you'd like the best.

• Upvote 4

Undergrad: Georgia State University (Biology, 2014)

Cumulative GPA: 3.45

Cumulative Science GPA: 3.37

CASPA Submitted: June 2015

CASPA Verified: 11 days after

GRE: V155, Q147, W 3.5

HCE: 1,800 as a CNA

Volunteer: 200 hours in various free clinics and non-profits

Research: 2 years in an evironmental microbiology lab

Shadowing: 50 hours with 6 different PAs

LOR: PA, Nursing Supervisor, Work Supervisor

Schools Applied: Rush, Touro CA, Touro NV, Samuel Merritt, UC Davis, Western (Withrew application), University of Sciences (Withdrew application), Duke, Northwestern, NYIT, MCPHS

Interview Invites: MCPHS (Declined), Rush, Touro CA, Touro NV, UC Davis

Waitlisted: Rush, Touro CA

Rejected: NYIT, Northwestern, Duke, Touro NV, Northwestern

Waiting to hear from: Samuel Merritt

Accepted: UC Davis

Attending: UC Davis! (Unless I hear back from Samuel Merritt)

Attempt: 1st

Undergrad:  Colorado College (2010), University of Alaska Anchorage, UNE

Cumulative GPA:  3.0

Cumulative Science GPA:  3.06

CASPA Submitted: June 2015

CASPA Verified:  June 2015

GRE: V166, Q154, W 4.5

HCE: 5 years as Pilates Instructor. 1 year medical scribe

Shadowing: 30 hours+ with PMR MD, DPT, DO FP. 

Volunteer: 300+ as volunteer EMS and youth mountain bike coach. 

LOR:  FP DO, FP PA, 2 x EM MD

Schools Applied: UW Medex, OHSU, Pacific, UC Davis, Marshall Ketchum, Heritage U, Idaho State U, Duke, UNC Chapel Hill, Rocky Mountain College, Rocky Mountain University, Stanford University, Touro California, Franklin Pierce, Southern California, University of the Pacific

Interviews:  UW Medex- Anchorage, UNC Chapel Hill, Idaho State U

Interview Waitlist:  Pacific U

Rejected:  UNC 

Accepted:  UW Medex- Anchorage, Idaho State

Attending:  UW MEDEX- Anchorage

Attempt:  2nd-ish (1st only applied to MEDEX to get a feel for the process). 

So excited to be starting this promising career and am looking forward to participating in my local medical community (Alaska). For those who are low GPA. Last year I had a 2.7 GPA! With hard work, introspection, and smart application skills you too can be a PA-S.

• Upvote 3

This feels so surreal to type out... but I can finally do it!

Undergrad: Northeastern University (B.S. in Behavioral Neuroscience)

Cumulative GPA: 3.65

Cumulative Science GPA: 3.48

CASPA Submitted: late June/early July 2015

GRE: V156, Q160, W 4.5

HCE: 2,800 split between clinical research, medical volunteer @ free clinic, and MA

Volunteer: ~980 hours in free clinics, state house, ministry, service-learning, marine research, etc.

Research: 4 years in women's health clinical research (including authorship on publication)

Shadowing: 16 hours with 2 PAs (1 surgical onc, 1 wound care)

LOR: undergrad advisor/prof, private practice MD, MD who was PI for clin research

Schools Applied: Emory, Duke, GWU, Northeastern, Rush, Arcadia

Interview Invites: Emory, Duke, GWU, Northeastern (declined), Rush (declined), Arcadia (declined)

Waitlisted: None

Rejected: None

Accepted: Emory, Duke, GWU

Attending: Emory! :)

• Upvote 3

Undergrad school: Georgia regents university

Undergrad GPA:3.46

Science GPA: 3.48

GRE: quantitative 157, verbal 156, writing 5.0

Patient care: EMT less than 200 hours, volunteer in ER about 200 hours, pharmacy tech but I don't know if that counts, shadowed PAs in cardio, derm and ER (about 100 hours)

Extracurricular: student instructor and teachers assistant for organic chemistry, volunteer in ER, air force vet

Schools applied: wingate, high point, south university in Savannah, wake forest, uab, south college, Anderson broaddus, Lincoln memorial

Interview invites: south university, south college, Anderson broaddus, can and Lincoln memorial

Denied: none

Withdrew app: south university

Wait listed: uab and Lincoln memorial

Accepted: Anderson broaddus and south college

I want to add that I didn't feel like I had enough patient care experience to apply this year but my friend who is a PA talked me into it. I'm so glad now that I did it now. So for those of you who are hesitant because you feel like you're not as competitive as you need to be, just take the jump and go ahead and apply if you have enough of the other stuff to make you look good. If nothing else, it's a great learning experience and it can be a great confidence booster. This was my first year applying and I could not be happier that I went ahead and applied instead of waiting until next year

Undergrad: University of Florida

Major: Food Science and Human Nutrition. Nutritonal Sciences

Cumulative GPA: 3.97

Cumulative Science GPA: 3.96

CASPA Submitted: July 15

CASPA Verified: July 27

GRE: V156, Q148, 4.0 Writing

HCE: 1,400 PCT at time of application (July), 2000 by Mid November-December

Volunteer: Community service director, Pharmacy volunteer, Various hospital events with nursing unit

Research: 1.5 years, Undegrad Independent Thesis Project, 1 Publication in Micro journal from senior thesis, Worked in Ag lab during undergrad

Shadowing: 60 hours, 2 PAs, Critical Care/Primary Care

Awards/Honors: Summa cum laude, Deans List

LOR: Critical Care PA, Nurse Manager, Nurse Supervisor, Mentor/PI/Professor

Schools Applied: Rutgers, PCOM, Barry, University of Florida, Desales, Drexel, Duke, Pacific, NOVA Ft Lauderdale

Interview Invites: Rutgers, PCOM, Barry, University of Florida, DeSales (Declined), Duke, Drexel (Declined), NOVA (Declined)

Rejected: Pacific

Accepted: Rutgers, Duke, University of Florida, Barry

Waitlisted: PCOM (Withdrew)

Attending: University of Florida!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Undergrad Ed School:   Arizona State University
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA:  3.87
Science Undergrad. GPA:  4.0

Age at application time :   35

1st GRE:   Verbal: 155(67%); Quant: 160(78%); Anal: 4.0(56%)

Direct Patient Care : Nothing, except for taking care of my sick kids (yes, I reported that).

Extracurricular/Research Activities: N/A

Schools Applied:  AT Still (AZ), Baylor, Idaho State U, Midwestern (AZ), Northern AZ U, Oregon Health & Science U, Pacific U, Rocky Mountain U, St. Louis U, U of Colorado, UNT HS Center, UTMB (Galveston), UT Southwestern, U of Utah

Interview Invites:  Idaho State U, Baylor, (On hold at Midwestern)

Denied:  Everyone else (11 schools)

Withdrew Application:  None

Waitlisted:  Baylor 

Accepted:  Idaho State

Attempt: 1st

• Upvote 3

Undergrad Ed School: University of Mississippi - B.S. Exercise Science/B.A.Biology w/ minor in English
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.24
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.10
Graduate Ed School: Mississippi College - Master's in Health Services Administration (in progress)
Cumulative Graduate GPA: 3.85
Science Graduate GPA: 4.00

Age at application time : 25

1st GRE: 154-Verbal, 152-Quantitative, 3.5 Analytical

Healthcare Experience : Medical Scribe (E.R.) - approximately 3000 hours

-Student Athletic Trainer: 300 hours

-E.R. Volunteer: 40 hours

-N.P. Shadowing: 80 hours

-P.T. Shadowing: 25 hours

Extracurricular/Research Activities:

-Research Assistant: 60 hours

-Special Olympics Volunteer: 15 hours

-Student Athlete Tutor: 48 hours

-Waiter: Approximately 3000 hours

Schools Applied: Mississippi College, University of South Alabama, South College (Knoxville)

Application Submitted Date: 08/29/15

Schools Received Application Date: 09/01/15

Interview Invites: Mississippi College, South College

Denied: USA

Withdrew Application: South College

Waitlisted: None

Accepted:   Mississippi College

The old saying is true, there really are several ways to skin a cat.  I had a less than stellar GPA and HCE, so I tried to make up for it in graduate school. If you get rejected this cycle, use that for motivation and do everything you can to improve your application for the next cycle.  Don't give up, your hard work will pay off eventually, and it will be all the more rewarding when it does!

Undergrad and Grad institution: Baylor University

Undergrad GPA: 3.08 

Science (BCP) GPA: 3.74

Graduate GPA: 3.66 (88 hours) 

Post-Bac GPA: 4.0 (48 hours – basically all my pre-reqs)

GRE: Verbal – 168 (98%), Quant – 160 (78%), Writing – 5.5 (98%)

Age at time of application: 34

Hands on Care Hours: 1800 – Research Assistant working on clinical trials (worked job for 5 years, but only part of it qualified as “hands on”)

Research: 7200 hours

Volunteering: Around 800 hours

Shadowing: 40 hours (32 with Pediatric MD, 5 with Ortho PA, and 3 with Peds PA)

Applied to:  18 so I won’t list them all, but if you are curious feel free to send me a message.

Interviewed: (8) St. Francis (NM), University of North Texas HSC, Yale, Duke, Midwestern University, Wake Forest, Pacific University, and UT Southwestern Medical Center

Denied: Yale, Wake Forest

Wait Listed: St. Francis, UNT HSC, Midwestern, Pacific

Accepted:  UT Southwestern, Duke

Attending: UT Southwestern

Attempt: 2nd 

I want to encourage a few different types of people: The non-traditional student for whom this is a second career and the applicants that had a low GPA in undergrad.  I got my BA in religion and my Master of Divinity.  After school I worked in the music industry, worked a couple of short lived odd jobs, and then started my current work in research.  I worked full time while completing all my pre-reqs over the course of several years.  As one can see I had a poor undergrad GPA at 3.08.  However, since my junior year I showed an upward trend academically from 3.42 Junior year, 3.53 senior year, 3.66 grad school, and 4.0 in all Post-Bac classes.  If your academic record shows consistent improvement I believe that will help you if you were a complete slacker like me my first two years of college. 

Also for those of you with low GPA do everything you can to get a good GRE score and to get hands on care experience.  If you don’t get accepted your first time around it’s okay to be disappointed.  I didn’t get accepted on my first attempt last year.  In fact I’ve met a lot of people that didn’t get in until their 2nd try.  If you’re reading this post and feeling discouraged because you haven’t been accepted yet I know exactly how you feel.  And if you need someone to vent your frustrations feel free to send me a personal note here and I’ll be your sounding board.

• Upvote 9

Undergrad and Grad institution: Baylor University

Undergrad GPA: 3.08 

Science (BCP) GPA: 3.74

Graduate GPA: 3.66 (88 hours) 

Post-Bac GPA: 4.0 (48 hours – basically all my pre-reqs)

GRE: Verbal – 168 (98%), Quant – 160 (78%), Writing – 5.5 (98%)

Age at time of application: 34

Hands on Care Hours: 1800 – Research Assistant working on clinical trials (worked job for 5 years, but only part of it qualified as “hands on”)

Research: 7200 hours

Volunteering: Around 800 hours

Shadowing: 40 hours (32 with Pediatric MD, 5 with Ortho PA, and 3 with Peds PA)

Applied to:  18 so I won’t list them all, but if you are curious feel free to send me a message.

Interviewed: (8) St. Francis (NM), University of North Texas HSC, Yale, Duke, Midwestern University, Wake Forest, Pacific University, and UT Southwestern Medical Center

Denied: Yale, Wake Forest

Wait Listed: St. Francis, UNT HSC, Midwestern, Pacific

Still no decision: Duke

Accepted:  UT Southwestern

Attending: UT Southwestern

I want to encourage a few different types of people: The non-traditional student for whom this is a second career and the applicants that had a low GPA in undergrad.  I got my BA in religion and my Master of Divinity.  After school I worked in the music industry, worked a couple of short lived odd jobs, and then started my current work in research.  I worked full time while completing all my pre-reqs over the course of several years.  As one can see I had a poor undergrad GPA at 3.08.  However, since my junior year I showed an upward trend academically from 3.42 Junior year, 3.53 senior year, 3.66 grad school, and 4.0 in all Post-Bac classes.  If your academic record shows consistent improvement I believe that will help you if you were a complete slacker like me my first two years of college. 

Also for those of you with low GPA do everything you can to get a good GRE score and to get hands on care experience.  If you don’t get accepted your first time around it’s okay to be disappointed.  I didn’t get accepted on my first attempt last year.  In fact I’ve met a lot of people that didn’t get in until their 2nd try.  If you’re reading this post and feeling discouraged because you haven’t been accepted yet I know exactly how you feel.  And if you need someone to vent your frustrations feel free to send me a personal note here and I’ll be your sounding board.

Congrats! I also worked in the music industry+ odd jobs post liberal arts degree before deciding to return to school. Definitely consider myself a "non-traditional" applicant, so thanks for the tips & encouragement!

Undergrad Ed School: Michigan State University

Major: Economics     Minor: Art History

CASPA Undergrad GPA: 3.20

CASPA Science GPA: 3.00

Age at application time : 26

GRE: Verbal: 152, Quant: 151 , Analytical: 4.5

Direct Patient Care : CNA Orthopedics: 500 hours; Dental Assistant: 2,000

Other activities: Refugee mentor in college, Honors college graduate, Deans list every semester, Soup kitchen for several years,  have two years of working in the financial world as a banker

PA Shadowing- I work in orthopedics, so I see and help out the PAs quite often, but my hospital only let me formally shadow them for 10 hours, but in reality, through my work I get to see them with my patients almost daily.

Schools Applied: all of the Nova Southeastern schools but did not do supplemental for the Fort Lauderdale one, Rosalind Franklin, Rush, Rocky Mountain College, Barry, Rocky Mountain University, Touro University-California, King’s College, Midwestern Downers Grove, MCPHS, Johnson & Wales, Augsburg (15 total)

CASPA verification date: July 20th (or so) 2015

Interview Invites: Barry University, Rocky Mountain College, Touro University-California

Withdrew Application: none

Waitlisted: none

Accepted: Touro University-California

Denied: everywhere else

Attending: Touro University-California! My absolute #1 choice!

I highly recommend that you save up a good amount of money because gre, application fees and the costs to go out for an interview add up really quickly! It is already a stressful process, be prepared financially. Don’t take hard classes during interview cycle, which is usually August to December, I did and it was stressful studying for a hard exam and also flying out to an interview.

I would recommend having a plan if you are not accepted this cycle.  I had a list of courses I was going to start taking if I was not accepted into any programs so that I could build on my application for the next cycle along with I was going to continue working getting more patient care hours. Many people don’t get in their first cycle, please do not get discouraged, it never hurts to have a plan to provide you peace of mind that you are working towards your goal.

As for interview, it really is like a job interview and even harder. Have the questions, why you want to be a PA and why did you choose this school, prepared in an outline manner. Do not sound rehearsed! One school said I did sound rehearsed, and guess what, I did rehearse it line by line! So don’t do what I did. The next interview, I had my answers as an outline in my head. Every time the answer came out different, but the outline was the same, so it flowed naturally.

Read up on healthcare, I read The New Yorker medicine, Washington post, the Economist to know the changes that are happening in healthcare and it made me more confident and knowledgeable in my approach.

Best of luck everyone!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Undergrad Ed School: 

Sonoma State University: BA  Philosophy with distinction 

Cabrillo College AS Dental Hygiene 

Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.89 

Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.9

Age at application time : 31

1st GRE: V 168 Q 154 W 4.5 

Direct Patient Care : (type & hours) Dental Hygienist 10,000

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Volunteer in Dental Clinics, Mentor for Big Brothers Big Sisters, Home health care volunteer, class president, treasurer for ethics club, several awards and scholarships 

Schools Applied: Davis, Loma Linda, Samuel Merritt, University of Utah, Barry St Croix, Yale, Duke, University of Utah. (Submitted CASPA to Stanford but withdrew application when I realized I didn’t want to go there) 

Interview Invites: Yale, Loma Linda (declined) U of Utah 

Denied: Duke, Barry, Davis 

Still waiting on Samuel Merritt 

Withdrew Application: Stanford- never submitted the supplemental. I wouldn't even bother if you are from a dental background they were very uninterested at the information session. 

Accepted: U of Utah 

I originally took my prerequisites for RDH school and my A&P were more than 10 years old. I wanted to apply this year, and I was going to retake them if I didn’t get in anywhere. I feel very fortunate to be starting this year! U of Utah was awesome! I highly recommend applying there! I wanted to give hope to applicants that have been working for many years since they took their prerequisites. 

Undergrad Ed School: University of Washington

Major: B.S. in Biology and B.A. in Psychology
CASPA Cum. Undergraduate GPA: 3.44
CASPA Science Undergraduate GPA: 3.34

CASPA Post-Baccalaureate Overall GPA: 4.0

CASPA Post-Baccalaureate Overall GPA: 4.0

GRE:

Quantitative - 156 (64th percentile)

Verbal - 158 (79th percentile)

Writing - 4.0 (56th percentile)

Patient Care Experience: ~2,500 as a CNA at a hospital

Volunteering: ~1,000 hours (counselor at UW Camp Kesem, volunteered at Group Health, UW Freshmen Interest Group (FIG) leader, volunteering at random events with my sorority in college, working on my sorority's philanthropy in college, etc.)

Shadow Experience: ~105 hours shadowing PAs in dermatology, urgent care, family medicine, pain medicine, interventional radiology, and neurosurgery. Also shadowed doctors and nurses during my study abroad experience in Chile.

Extracurricular/Relevant Activities/Experiences: studied abroad in Chile (focusing on their healthcare system and practices), Freshmen Interest Group (FIG) leader at UW, UW equestrian team member

LOR: A physician I work with, my most recent physiology professor, and the PA whom I spent the most shadowing hours with

Schools Applied: University of Colorado - Denver, University of Washington MEDEX Northwest, Baylor College of Medicine, Samuel Merritt University, Midwestern University - Glendale, Midwestern University - Downers Grove, Oregon Health & Science University, Pacific University, Pace University, University of Texas Medical Branch, University of North Texas, university of Toledo

CASPA Application Submitted Date: July 17th 

Application Verified Date: July 28th

Interview Invites: University of Colorado - Denver, University of Washington MEDEX Northwest, Baylor College of Medicine, University of Toledo

Still waiting to hear from:  Midwestern University - Glendale, Midwestern University - Downers Grove

Denied: Oregon Health & Science University, Pacific University, Pace University, University of Texas Medical Branch, University of North Texas, Samuel Merritt University

Declined Interview Invites: University of Toledo

Waitlisted: Baylor College of Medicine

Accepted: University of Colorado - Denver, University of Washington MEDEX Northwest

Attending: University of Colorado - Denver!!

My first application cycle, I literally didn't get one single interview invite. If you don't get in the first time, seriously do not give up! Make a plan (NOW) for what you can do if you don't get in. Here's a summary of what I did:

• After I didn't get it, I continued to work as a CNA at a hospital. When I applied the first time I only had ~800 patient care hours; the second time I had ~2,500. I think just having another year of patient care experience A) boosted my application and B) helped me write a much more insightful, meaningful essay. I completely redid my CASPA personal statement (looking back now, my first one was awful), however I only made minor edits to most of my supplemental application essays because these were already pretty good. WRITE A GOOD ESSAY. I can't stress that enough. Utilize the writing centers are your undergrad schools (most will help you even if you aren't a student there anymore). The UW writing center helped me write an awesome essay.
  • I shadowed more PAs in a wider variety of specialties and pretty much doubled my shadowing hours. 
  • I also took Human Physiology at a community college (I'd taken mammalian phys during undergrad, which most schools allowed me to use as a substitution for human phys...however, my grade in that class wasn't so hot). I also took Medical Terminology online at a community college just because a lot of schools recommended it and because I knew it would boost my GPA. I worked hard and got a 4.0 in both classes. 
  • I got a different professor LOR and a different physician LOR than I had the first time around. I had the same PA write an LOR though.
  • Interview prep: I gathered like 100 example questions into one document, printed it out, and then just wrote notes and/or lists by the questions. I never came up with my exact answers. I also had a piece of paper where I'd jot down anecdotes that displayed my personal strengths or that would be good examples to many of the questions. Having a handwritten list allowed me to add to it as the ideas popped into my head (rather than giving me a chance to forget it before I could write it down). I also paid for a mock interview at the UW Career Center. I cannot recommend doing a formal mock interview enough. This seriously was a godsend. Mock interviews are usually free to UW students, but cost $75 for an alumni. It was seriously the best $75 I spent on any sort of application prep material. 

Feel free to message me if you want me to explain any part of my experience further! I am seriously on top of the world right now, and would be more than happy to lend a hand to anyone who is going through the same process I went through.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Feels so great to finally be able to make this post!

Undergrad institution: UC Berkeley

CASPA Cum. Undergraduate GPA: 3.5

CASPA Science Undergraduate GPA: 3.4

CASPA Post-Baccalaureate Overall GPA: 4.0

Age at application: 25

GRE:

Quantitative - 158 (71th percentile)

Verbal - 161 (87th percentile)

Writing - 4.0 (56th percentile)

Patient Care Experience: ~3300 hrs ER Tech, Health Careers Internship, Assisted Living

Community Service: ~1600 hours (Peer Health Educator in low-income high school, ER, Cancer Registry, clinic for the homeless, Public Service campus club)

Shadow Experience: 40 hrs with ER PA, 40 hrs with CT Surgeon

Other Experiences: Tutor in General Bio, A&P, Microbio; Undergrad honors research; Editor in Chief of Pre-Health magazine

LOR: ER Physician, ER PA, Anatomy Professor

Schools Applied: Samuel Merritt University (SMU), Midwestern University - Glendale (MWU), Touro-Vallejo (TUC), Western Pomona (WUHS), Chatham, Elon, D'Youville College, Univ of Pacific (UOP), Charles Drew U (CDU)

CASPA Application Submitted Date: 09/20/15

Application Verified Date: 09/30/15

Interview Invites: Chatham, MWU, SMU, TUC, WUHS, UOP, Elon, D'Youville

Turned Down Interview: Chatham, Elon U, D'Youville, UOP

Waitlisted: WUHS

Denied: CDU

Accepted: MWU, SMU, TUC

Attending: Samuel Merritt University

Undergrad ed school: Aquinas College (Grand Rapids, MI), B.S. Biology

cGPA: 3.80

sGPA: 3.93

Post Bac GPA: 4.00

CASPA verification: July 7th

Age at time of application: 24

1st GRE:  V 151 Q 155 W 4.5 (306)

2nd GRE: N/A

HCE: 3000+ CNA in the Intensive Care Unit

Research: 200 hours researching the suture tensile forces on pacemaker leads

Shadowing: 0

Volunteering: ~100 hours in various soup kitchens, teaching elementary students, science days at college

Awards/ honors/etc.:  Dean's List (All 4 years), Student Senate, Varsity Hockey Team Captain (also established the program while in school), AED President, BBB Historian, Pre-Health Professions Scholarship, Magna Cum Laude

Schools applied to: Butler, Northwestern, Rosalind Franklin, Midwestern (IL),  Rush, U of Colorado, Cornell, Hofstra, NYIT, Grand Valley, U of St. Francis (IN), U of WI-Madison, Carroll U, Marquette, Yale, Le Moyne, and Toledo 

Rejected: Rush, Northwestern

Interviewed: U of St. Francis, Yale, U of CO, Rosalind Franklin, Midwestern, Grand Valley

Waitlisted: 

Withdrew from Interview: NYIT, Hofstra, Marquette, Carroll U, Le Moyne, Butler, U of W-Madison

Accepted: Rosalind Franklin, Yale, Midwestern, Grand Valley State U

Attempts: 1st

Attending: Grand Valley State University

• Upvote 2

Can't actually believe I get to post this already!

Undergrad Ed School: Central Michigan University (BS in Communication Disorders in 2011)
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.41
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.5

CASPA Post-Baccalaureate Overall GPA: 3.6

Age at application time : 26

1st GRE: Quant: 151, Verbal: 148 Writing: 4

Direct Patient Care : (type & hours) Approx 2000 as a medical assistant in a plastic surgeon's office and probably close to 5000 as an emergency room tech

Extracurricular/Research Activities: No research, but about 80 hours of various volunteer experience including a week long trip to St. Jude's to work with families and patients

Shadowing: a couple shifts in the ER with a PA before I started working there and I observed several surgeries with an NP as first assist (similar to what a PA would do in surgery). I work daily with PAs of all different specialties so I made sure to make that known so they could see that although my shadowing hours were low, I do indeed know what all kinds of PAs do within a hospital.

Schools Applied: Anne Arundel, Eastern Michigan, U of Toledo, Philadelphia U, Desales, GWU, EVMS, Franklin Pierce, West Liberty, Salus

Application Submitted Date: July 6 2015

Schools Received Application Date: (approximate date) About 2 weeks later

Interview Invites: Anne Arundel, Salus, Philadelphia U

Denied: Anne Arundel, EMU, GWU, Desales

Withdrew Application: EVMS, West Liberty, U of Toledo

Waitlisted: Salus

Accepted: Philadelphia University!!

Undergrad ed school: Delaware State University, B.S Exercise Science

cGPA: 3.30  (Bacc: 3.17, Post Bacc: 3.63)

sGPA: 3.31  (Bacc: 3.21, Post Bacc: 3.54)

CASPA verification: August 6th

Age at time of application: 23

HCE: 2200+ hours as PT tech (still accruing), ~240 hours interning with PT in school setting working hands on with children with disabilities, 1000+ hours as Chief Medical Scribe in ER (still accruing), 20 hours hands on doing ride alongs with EMTs

Research: 675 hours researching expression levels of voltage gated sodium channels in those with spinal muscular atrophy

Shadowing: 200+ hours shadowing PAs and Doctors in various settings such as ER, neurosurgery, pediatrics, orthopedic surgery, hospitalist services, and urgent care

Volunteering: ~100 hours doing special olympics and various other events

LOR: neurosurgery PA, professor/chairperson, PT/clinic director

Extracurricular: Division I college soccer player, Teacher assistant for Biology 2, High school girls soccer coach

Schools applied to: ~20 (too many to type, message for specifics if interested)

Interviewed: Sacred Heart University, Le Moyne College, Slippery Rock University

Denied: Most schools

Accepted: Slippery Rock University

Attempts: 1st

Attending: Slippery Rock University!!! :)

I posted this to give others hope. My GPA was not the greatest and even after taking an extra year of courses and repeating courses, it was still below average. However, I accrued many HCE and shadowing hours, and had an upward trend in my GPA. I believe that saving up and applying to as many schools as I did really helped as well. Don't put all your eggs in 1 basket! 

BUT, my best advice and a lesson learned for people with similar stats to mine, is to apply as early as possible (Like May!). I think that really would have helped me, because many programs were filled or mostly filled by the time they reached my application. Feel free to message me with any questions!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Undergrad:  Stony Brook University - Health Science - Critical Care Concentration - Graduated 2015

Cumulative GPA:  3.14

Cumulative Science GPA: 3.13 

CASPA Submitted: 08/15

CASPA Verified:  08/15

GRE: 157V 152M 3W

HCE: 5000 hours + of 911 EMT-B experience

Shadowing: 8 hours of shadowing a MD in an ER, 8 hours of shadowing a PA in a practice

LOR:  1 MD, one supervisor non healthcare related, one professor

Schools Applied: Albany Medical, Le Moyne, Lock Haven, LIU, Monmouth, Nova Ft Meyers Jacksonville and Orlando, Rocky Mountain University, Sacred Heart, Sam Merrit, South University, Stony Brook, University of Bridgeport, University of Colorado, University of New Mexico, University of South Alabama, University of Utah, Medex, UT Southwestern, West Liberty, Clarkson 

Interviews:  Monmouth, Sacred Heart, Clarkson 

Interview Waitlist:  Monmouth

Interview Rejected:  Sacred Heart

Accepted:  Clarkson

Attending:  Clarkson

Attempt:  2nd

GPA was hit hard my first time around at school. Second attempt avg was around 3.5

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Let me preface this post by saying that I place complete blame upon this forum for making me such a paranoid wreck that I applied to way too many schools.  How many is too many?  29.  29 is too many.  I was sure that my GPA wasn’t high enough or my HCE was no good or I was too old, or too young, or whatever other spastic negative thought came to me while poring over this website.  PA Forum, you are a blessing and a curse.

Undergrad: Skidmore College, B.S. in Dance
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.72         
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.76
Graduate School: N/A

Post-bacc GPA: 4.0 (52 credits)

Honors: cum laude, departmental honors, honors society

Age at application time: 40, holla

1st GRE: 154 quantitative (56%), 164 verbal (94%), 5.5 writing (98%)

HCE: 1100 hours phlebotomy

Certifications: EMT-B. Got it, never used it.

Volunteer: Red Cross (60 hours), Animal rescue (40 hours), volunteered in various arts-in-education, scholarship foundation, and community outreach programs for dance (1000s of hours).

Shadowing: 60 hours internal medicine, cardiology, and orthopedics

LOR: 2 PAs that I shadowed, professor, pre-health advisor, lab supervisor

Schools Applied: Too many, see disclaimer.

CASPA Submitted: 07/04/2015

CASPA Verified: 07/20/2015

Denied: South University, Philadelphia U, Rosalind Franklin

Interview invites: Thomas Jefferson, College of St. Joseph, Indiana U, Clarkson, UNC Chapel Hill, Chatham, SUNY Upstate, NOVA Ft. Myers, Albany Med, Arcadia, Lock Haven, Rush, DeSales, Cornell, Yale, Rutgers, Wake Forest, George Washington, Duke

Interviews attended: College of St. Joseph, Albany Med, Lock Haven, Cornell, Yale, Rutgers, George Washington

Withdrew before hearing from: Drexel, James Madison, UNE, MCPHS, Stonybrook, Hofstra

Accepted: College of St. Joseph, Albany, Lock Haven, Cornell, Yale, George Washington

Attending: Yale

Many will judge me for applying to so many schools, but there was a method to my madness and some surprising results that others might learn from.  I am 40 years old and coming from my former job I took a HUGE pay cut when I got the job as a phlebotomist.  In my mind, applying was a one shot deal so forking over the money for 29 schools seemed like a rational idea at the time since I wouldn’t have to apply again (more $) and also spend another year getting paid a low wage.  Also, I honestly didn’t know how desirable a candidate I was until I started hearing back.  3.7 is a good GPA but it’s not 3.8 or 4.0.  I read that 1000 hours was the bare minimum and that phlebotomy was not considered “desirable” to schools.  Every school I applied to I researched thoroughly and made sure all of my pre-reqs and HCE requirements lined up even if only the minimum.  I also just looked at schools I would be willing to go to if I only got into one. 

The most interesting thing about this experience is that the schools I considered my just-for-the-hell-of-it/reaches got back to me very quickly, and I was in the first or second interview groups (GW, Yale, Cornell, Duke, Rutgers, Wake Forest).   And the schools I thought I was a shoo-in for I didn’t hear from by the time I had already interviewed and been accepted at 6 others (I’m looking at you, Drexel, Stonybrook, MCPHS, and UNE). 

So I guess the moral is that this is not an exact science.  You cannot know what is possible until you fork over the cash and hit that submit button.  I feel so very fortunate to have gotten the opportunities that I had. Best of luck to everyone, especially my fellow oldies.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Undergrad Ed School: 3.55 [bS in Psychology at Texas A&M University]

Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.29

Age at application time : 23

GRE: Quantitative: 157 (69%), Verbal:159 (81%), Writing: 4.5 (80%)

Direct Patient Care : Medical Assistant/Scribe: 350 hours; Volunteer: 30 hours
Extracurricular/Research Activities: 3421 Hours through volunteer student organizations
Schools Applied: Baylor College of Medicine, UNTHSC, Harding University, Texas Tech, UTMB, UT-Southwestern
Application Submitted Date: 6/3/15
Schools Received Application Date: 6/11/15
Interview Invites: Baylor, UNTHSC, Harding University
Denied: Texas Tech, UTMB, UT-Southwestern
Waitlisted: UNTHSC
Accepted: Baylor, Harding Unversity
Attempt: 2ND
Attending: BAYLOR :)

• 2 weeks later...

Undergrad:  a University of California school (BS Biology - c/o 2014)

CASPA cumulative GPA: 3.48

CASPA science cumulative GPA: 3.34

CASPA Submitted: Late June

CASPA Verified:  Early July

GREs:

-       Verbal:                             157                 74%

-       Quantitative:                    157                 68%

-       Analytical Writing:            5.0                  93%

HCE: ~1200 hours as a Dermatology Medical Assistant

Community Service Hours: ~1500 hours in community outreach projects, health clinics, tutoring, teaching kids karate

Shadowing: ~100 hours with PAs in family med, neuropsychiatry and neurology

LORs: Research supervisor, cell bio professor, volunteer coordinator, supervising physician and a neuropsych PA

Schools Applied: 

Western, CA - Rosalind Franklin, IL - Le Moyne, NY - MCPHS-Worcester, MA - Touro, CA - USC, CA - Midwestern, AZ - Touro Winthorp - Touro Manhatten - Touro Bay Shore - Stony Brook, NY - South University, GA - Touro Nevada - Saint Francis, PA - Samuel Merritt, CA - Charles Drew, CA - CUNY, NY (Withdrew) - Arizona School of Health Sciences - Long Island University, NY - Southern California University of Health Sciences (20 total)

Interviews:

- Western, CA

Rosalind Franklin, IL

Le Moyne, NY

MCPHS-Worcester, MA

Touro, CA

- USC, CA

- SCUHS, CA (Declined)

Waitlist:

- Le Moyne, NY - Declined

- MCPHS-Worcester, MA - Withdrew

- Touro, CA - Withdrew

Rejected:

Touro Winthorp - Stony Brook, NY - South University, GA - Touro Nevada - Saint Francis, PA - Samuel Merritt, CA - Charles Drew, CA - USC, CA - Midwestern, AZ - etc

Accepted:  Western University of Health Sciences, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Sciences

Attending:  Western

Attempt:  1st

I knew that my grades were concerning so I tried my best to beef up everything else while acing post-bacc courses to slowly raise my GPA (I work part time). This especially meant dedicating a lot of time doing community service, revising my PS/secondaries, having a great relationship with my LOR writers and honing my interview skills (which needed a lot of work) - feel free to msg me with any questions :)

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Undergrad Ed School: University in NJ, B.S. Bio

Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.80

Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.92

Age at application time :26

GRE: 160 quant

162 verbal

4.0 w

Direct Patient Care : 2600 hrs Medical Lab Tech, 700 hrs phlebotomist. Shadowed 4 P.A.s, ~40 hrs each.

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Undergrad research published 1 article. Volunteer at Blood Bank and Habitat for Humanity ~100 hrs

Schools Applied: Rutgers, Seton Hall, Elon, Duke, Monmouth, Yale, Emory, Wake Forest, MUSC

Application Submitted Date: September 2015

Interview Invites: All but Emory

Denied: Emory, Rutgers, Yale

Withdrew Application: Seton Hall & MUSC (declined interviews)

Waitlisted: Wake Forest

Accepted: Duke, Monmouth, Elon

ATTENDING: Monmouth

• Upvote 1

Undergrad Ed School: University in NJ, B.S. Bio

Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.80

Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.92

Age at application time :26

GRE: 160 quant

162 verbal

4.0 w

Direct Patient Care : 2600 hrs Medical Lab Tech, 700 hrs phlebotomist. Shadowed 4 P.A.s, ~40 hrs each.

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Undergrad research published 1 article. Volunteer at Blood Bank and Habitat for Humanity ~100 hrs

Schools Applied: Rutgers, Seton Hall, Elon, Duke, Monmouth, Yale, Emory, Wake Forest, MUSC

Application Submitted Date: September 2015

Interview Invites: All but Emory

Denied: Emory, Rutgers, Yale

Withdrew Application: Seton Hall & MUSC (declined interviews)

Waitlisted: Wake Forest

Accepted: Duke, Monmouth, Elon

ATTENDING: Monmouth

I'm honestly surprised you did not get into Yale, Emory and Rutgers. You seem like the perfect candidate, how did your interviews go?

• Upvote 1

I'm honestly surprised you did not get into Yale, Emory and Rutgers. You seem like the perfect candidate, how did your interviews go?

I thought my interviews at RU and Yale went well. My interview at Duke was ok. Each school is looking for different types of applicants though, so you never really know!

• Like 1