PA Applicant Stats Page

Guest UMDeeMan

Undergrad Ed School: University of Colorado Boulder (geography major)

Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.2 (Caspa)

Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.8 (took all pre req and sciences post bacc at community college)

Age at application time : 27

1st GRE: 290

1st attempt applying

Direct Patient Care : 5,000 hours at mental health facility. 200+ hours EMT (working as a full time EMT at time of application)

Extracurricular/Research Activities: volunteer trips abroad

LOR: PA I shadowed, A&P teacher, therapist I worked with at the mental health facility.

Shadow: 1 PA berriatric surgery, PA in the clinic of a berriatric practice total of about 15 hours

Schools Applied: UNE, university of Tennessee, MGH , Charleston university, UNC, south college, Bridgeport, Chatham, LIU, medex, SIU, UC Davis, Monmouth

Application Submitted Date: 6/5/15

Schools Received Application Date: most let me know they received it a couple weeks later some took longer.

Interview Invites: Monmouth, MGH, charleston university

Interviews attended: MGH, Charleston university

Denied: all the others, some I never heard from but just assumed I didn't get in bc I saw in the forum others had interviewed and been accepted

Waitlisted: charleston university

Accepted: Charleston university, MGH

Attending: charleston university

I was nervous applying with a GPA on the lower end but there is a school out there for everyone. I think applying early helped me a lot. Good luck to everyone applying / working towards applying. Took me a long time to get to this point but it paid off.

• Upvote 1

Undergrad Ed School: University of Central Florida, B.S. Psychology

CASPA undergrad cGPA: 3.43

CASPA undergrad sGPA: 3.02

Post Bac sGPA: 3.55 (retook a few classes and took extra science classes to raise my low science GPA to 3.13)

Age at application time: 23

Attempt: 2nd

GRE: 150 Q, 153 V, 4.5 W

HCE:

1200+ hours as a Pediatric Patient Care Technician

400 at application time, currently ~1000 hours as a ER Medical Scribe

Volunteering:

80 hrs Volunteer Clerical Assistant at primary care clinic

90 hrs Volunteer at Miami Children’s Hospital

50 hrs Volunteer with Autism Speaks

Shadowing: 1 Ortho PA, 1 ER PA, 1 Urgent Care PA: 66 hrs, 1 Primary Care NP: 117 hrs

LORs: 1 PA, 1 Professor, 1 NP, 1 RN coworker

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Undergraduate TA: Department of Psychology, Undergraduate Research Assistant: Department of Psychology, Member of Alpha Xi Delta sorority, Member of Rho Lambda National Honor Society, Member of Psi Chi National Honor Society, Mentors for Violence Prevention at UCF

Schools Applied: Nova Fort Lauderdale, Nova Fort Myers, Barry University

Application Submitted Date: CASPA Verified on 7/24/15

Schools Received Application Date: (approximate date) Novas: August 4th, Barry: August 8th

Interview Invites: Nova Fort Myers (9/28), Barry University (10/23)

Denied:

Withdrew Application: Nova Fort Lauderdale

Waitlisted:

Accepted: Nova Fort Myers, Barry University

Attending: Nova Fort Myers!!

As a 2nd year applicant I posted this because I want people with lower GPAs to still have hope. Last year I applied VERY late (like November late) and wasn't even given a chance. This year, I went back and took some extra science classes, continued to gain HCE, and started volunteering. I also believe that my LORs and PS were VERY strong, which definitely helped compensate for my low science GPA. YOU CAN DO IT! Don't give up, and remember why you started this thing in the first place!

Thanks for your post! It gives me hope :)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Happy to FINALLY be able to post this after 2 cycles of stress, patience and hard work!

Age at time of application: 24

Cumulative Undergrad: 3.11

Cumulative Undergrad Science: 3.42

Post-Bacc: 3.35

Overall Science: 3.42

Other Science: 3.86

BCP (Biology, Chemistry, Physics): 3.34

Last 40 Credits: 3.62

GRE: 300 (Q-145 V-155, 4.0 Writing)

Patient Care Experience: 3,264 hours

Health Care Experience: 1,926 hours

Total Experience: 5,190 hours

My healthcare experience is primarily as a Rehabilitation Aide and Phlebotomist in a 382 bed hospital.

I am also a Pharmacy Tech at a local CVS Pharmacy.

I am also a Standardized Patient for medical school students taking their Clinical Skills Step 2 exam.

Other Work Experience: Student mentor at my university for freshmen/sophomores and student mentor at a local high school for students matriculating into college

Volunteer: 500 hours (Make-A-Wish, Habitat for Humanity, Special Olympics, March of Dimes, Boys & Girls Club, local rehab clinics and hospice facility)

PA Shadow: 1 Neuro PA & 1 Gastrointestinal PA for a total of 70 hours

Certifications: Phlebotomy, CNA, CPR, BLS, Pharmacy Tech, First Aid/AED

Letters of Recommendation: 2 PAs, 1 MD, 1 Clinical Supervisor, 1 Professor

CASPA Submit/Verification Date: June 11th/June 22nd

Schools Applied: Emory, UC-Davis, Barry, University of New England, University of Florida, University of North Carolina, Duke, University of the Cumberlands, Texas Tech, Arizona Health Sciences

Interview Invites: Texas Tech & University of Florida

Accepted: Texas Tech & University of Florida

Attending: University of Florida

Gooooooooo GATORS!

To anyone with less than stellar GRE scores or GPAs, please do not give up! If this is what you truly want to do, look for other ways to strengthen your application and when you receive interviews, make sure you rock them and leave the admissions committee with a memorable impression! I'm thankful for the second opportunity and it has only made my passion for the profession that much stronger!

• Upvote 3

Relieved that I'm now DONE with this application process, and excited to start PA school next year!

Undergrad: B.S. English Literature
cGPA: 3.8
sGPA: 3.8
CASPA verification: June 3rd
GRE:  V 166 / Q 156 / W 5 
HCE: 1500 hrs ER medical scribe 
Research: ~300 hrs 
Shadowing: ~30 hrs (PAs in emergency department, gastroenterology, and family medicine) 
Volunteering: ~400 hrs

Attempts: 1st

Schools applied to: Arcadia (Glenside), AT Still, Barry, Chatham, Cornell, Elon, Samuel Merritt University, MCPHS University (Boston), Midwestern (Downer's Grove & Glendale), NYIT, Northwestern, NOVA (Ft. Myers & Orlando), PhilaU, Rosalind Franklin, South University (Savannah), University of New England

Interview Invites: Arcadia, AT Still, Barry, Chatham, Cornell, Elon, MCPHS (Boston), Midwestern (Downer's Grove & Glendale), NYIT, Northwestern, NOVA (Ft. Myers), PhilaU, South University (Savannah)

Interviews Attended: Cornell, Midwestern (Downer's Grove), Northwestern, South 

Accepted: Cornell, Midwestern (Downer's Grove), South 

Denied: No formal denies, but strongly believe "soft denies" from Northwestern, NOVA Orlando, Rosalind Franklin, and UNE

Attending: Cornell! 

Notes: I was very nervous going into this cycle due to my HCE, which is why I applied to so many programs. My only advice is don't underestimate yourself! Your personal statement is very important, and admissions committees are looking for diverse classes. That means they don't want an entire class full of EMTs and CNAs, or an entire class of people with perfect GPAs. Don't feel bad if you don't fit the perfect "pre-PA mold." Once you get an interview, don't let yourself be intimidated by others. It's a cliche but just believe in yourself and know your strong points. Also, APPLY EARLY!!!
  • Upvote 3

Undergrad ed school: University of Pittsburgh, B.S Emergency Medicine

cGPA: 3.05

sGPA: 3.20

Post Bacc:  3.85

CASPA verification: May 20th

Age at time of application: 25

GRE:  V 160 Q 157 W 5.0 (317)

HCE: 6000++ hours Paramedic

Research: None

Shadowing: 120 in rural primary care, 36 in Childrens Hospital ED

Volunteering: 60+ hours contributing to various charitable events such as 5k runs etc.  Member of Team Rubicon

Awards/ honors/etc.:  Air Force Veteran

Schools applied to: LHU, Penn State, GWU, Stonybrook, UNE, UNC, Salus, Drexel, Desales, PCOM, Thomas J, Yale, Franklin Pierce, Marietta, Mt Union, MEDEX, Marywood, Pace, AA/UMBC, MUSC, Univ of Toledo, Duke, West Liberty

Interviews: Lock Haven, Stonybrook, Penn State, GWU, UNE, Salus, Marietta, UNC, Mount Union, MEDEX (Nov 19th, WITHDRAWN - no more interview funds), West Liberty, Univ of Toledo(withdrawn)

Rejected:  Marywood, Pace, AA/UMBC (somehow missed a pre req in progress), Yale, MUSC, Thomas J, Desales, Duke, Drexel, PCOM

Still Under Review: Franklin pierce

Waitlisted: Stonybrook, Marietta

Accepted:  UNE

2nd time around

So excited to move my post to the accepted thread!!  The cycle is still going but it's such a relief to see all the hard work and years of effort paying off finally.  I feel like my GPA and course history really dragged me down regardless of the fact I got quite a few interviews.  Nonetheless very happy to be accepted and attending my 2nd pick out of all the schools I visited, UNE!

• Upvote 5

Undergraduate Instititions: Florida Atlantic University, then University of Central Florida , community colleges here and there

Cumulative Undergraduate: 3.25
Cumulative Undergraduate Science: 3.18

Post Bach GPA: 4.0 (Only for one class… I retook Orgo I and earned an ‘A’)

BCP: 41 hours, 2.86 GPA.

Yes. That’s right. I have earned my fair share of 'C's in prerequisite classes. The number of ‘B’s outnumber ‘A’s in the rest of that mix. I’ve included this statistic because I want to make a note of two things. One is the importance of an upward trend. My ‘C’s were all during a rough time in my life and I rebounded after that year and came back with better grades. The other point is that some of you are like me in the sense that you came in from high school with 40-something credits. I’m not saying this to brag. I’m pointing out that I came into college with most of my “basic sciences” done and jumped right into more difficult classes. I didn’t even take physics I and II thanks to AP/IB tests. So this number may be artificially low due to the credits included without grades. Most of the classes I received grades for were upperlevel classes.Maybe admissions noted that... maybe they didn't. I'll never know.

GRE: Q 554 (56%), V 558 (78%), Writing 5.5 (98%)

Employment:

590 hours in computer repair (I started off computer science and this was one of two jobs I worked freshman year. The other was food service)

480 hours Microbiology QA Intern
810 hours Lab intern (not research)
2,160 hours Emergency Department Scribe (GREAT experience, highly recommend)
150 hours (but add to this 40 hours a week since early May) ED Scribe Trainer

HCE:
48 hours Medical Missions Trip to Costa Rica
36 hours (plus 15 hours a week since May) volunteer Phlebotomist in a local free clinic
220 hours as an unlicensed Medical Assistant in a local clinic

(Also see ED Scribe)

Research: 70 hours

Shadowing:
440 hours Podiatry
40 hours Internal Medicine

Volunteer:
500 hours fundraising for a local charity and organizing events for them
52 hours of doing crafts with terminally ill children
20 hours for Missions Trip (I broke the same trip down into different components. Did NOT double dip. Split up the hours if you want to list them in multiple areas, DON’T double them.)
48 hours at Camp Boggy Creek (Also, if you live in Florida, HIGHLY recommend! If you live in other locations, google “Serious Fun Camps”. They’re fun and a great way to get meaningful hours)

References: 1 PA, 1 MD, 1 Employer (These were excellent reviews. Make sure these people KNOW you. I believe these were my saving graces as they likely backed up the things I said about myself in my essay and supplementals.)

Schools Applied To: You can bet with my grades, I cast quite a wide net. I applied to most schools in Florida. Then Stony Brook, Albany, Touro in California, and Baylor.

Interviews: South University Tampa, Stony Brook (As of 11/2/15)

Rejections: South University Tampa, Albany, Touro.

Acceptances: Stony Brook, My NUMBER ONE Choice!!!

Pending: All others, plan to withdraw

This is my second attempt. Let me just say something here.

I have two ‘W’ on my transcript. I retook neither, though I planned to essentially retake all prerequisite courses if I was not accepted this cycle.

I know. That’s a pretty rough track record. Why would any school accept that? I wouldn’t accept that.

The answer, I think, is that I made up for it. I didn’t look back, didn't make excuses, and I put everything I had into recovering from my grades in the past and improved on future grades. I had a reason for my poor performance and I made it known as a learning experience and proved that I learned from it. Don't use me as an example of "it's alright if I get a bunch of 'C's.." because it is DEFINITELY better to have 'A's. Slacking on school makes it harder on yourself, and I wish I was able to do better in the beginning.

I volunteered and worked a lot to prove myself. Some days I worked days and nights to show that I was passionate about my goals, especially after being rejected from all schools my first try. I really put the pedal to the metal this year, if you know what I mean. And I found wonderful people who I knew would write wonderful things about me in my references.

Low GPA people, you can do it! But you absolutely need to put in the work. A LOT of work. Show the admissions committees that you are a person that is unique and more than just numbers on a page (especially if those numbers are mediocre). Let your application build a consistent story of who you are, and when you interview don't be afraid to let your excitement show through.

Getting into this school is a dream come true for me. It was my best-case scenario and I used the idea of maybe being accepted to Stony Brook as my motivation. And it worked! If people like me can make it, then so can you! Good luck to everyone.

• Upvote 9

Undergrad ed school: University of Pittsburgh (B.S. in Rehabilitation Science)

cGPA: 3.75

sGPA: 3.75

CASPA verification: June 2nd

Age at time of application: 22

1st GRE:  V 149 Q 154 W 4.5 (total 303)

2nd GRE: N/A

PCE: 729 (at time of application) --->  ~ 900-1000 after application 

HCE: 577 

Research: 0

Shadowing: 12

Volunteering: 47

Awards/ honors/etc.:  Dean's List (7 semesters), Gamma Sigma Alpha Honor Society, Golden Key Honor Society, Delta Epsilon Iota Honor Society, Sigma Alpha Lambda Honor Society, Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society, Magna Cum Laude.

Schools applied to: Arcadia, Philadelphia University, Penn State Hershey (never submitted supplemental), King's College, DeSales University, University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, Thomas Jefferson University.

Interview invites: Arcadia, Philadelphia University, University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, King's College

Waitlisted: Arcadia, King's College

Rejected: Philadelphia University, Desales University, Thomas Jefferson

Withdrew:

Accepted: University of the Sciences in Philadelphia!!

Attempts: 1st

SOOOO EXCITED! I was extremely fortunate to have had three interviews, but I do not believe that I was well prepared for my first two, which led to a waitlist and denial.  Apparently, third times the charm. I was more comfortable and confident. Good luck to everyone else!

• Upvote 1

Undergrad Ed School: Local Community College/ Very small catholic university in NJ

Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.3
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.12
Graduate Ed School: (if applicable) Very large monster school in Boston
Cumulative Graduate GPA: (if applicable): 3.02

Age at application time : 28

1st GRE: 154 verbal, 156 quant, writing score super low (who cares)
2nd GRE: (if applicable): N/A

Direct Patient Care : (type & hours) > 4000 hours of ED medical scribe, over 1000 hours of PA and MD shadowing during this experience. Volunteering on pediatrics floor, volunteered at free clinic while in grad school, MD shadowing in pediatrics and plastic surgery.

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Studied classical voice in high school/college, swimming, musical director for elementary school theater group. Honors research in undergrad resulting in 1 publication.

Honors: Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Society

Schools Applied: Rutgers, Arcadia, Pace, LIU, stony brook, MCPHS, drexel, Boston University, Monmouth University, Seton Hall University, Thomas Jefferson, Tufts University, Suny Upstate.

Application Submitted Date: June 2nd

Schools Received Application Date: (approximate date) June 5th ish

Interview Invites: Rutgers, Stony Brook, MCPHS, Boston University, Drexel

Denied: Pace, Arcadia, Tufts, Stony Brook and Rutgers (after interview)

Withdrew Application: LIU, Thomas Jefferson, SUNY upstate, Monmouth, Seton Hall

Waitlisted: MCPHS

Accepted: Drexel, Boston University <3 <3 <3

Attending: I don't know!!!! Why do you ask these hard questions???

2nd attempt

Feeling extremely fortunate, don't give up guys!

• Upvote 5

Undergrad Ed School: The College of Wooster

Cumulative Undergrad GPA: 3.75
Science Undergrad GPA: 3.8
Graduate Ed School: The University of Akron 
Cumulative Graduate GPA: 4.0

CASPA Submitted: August 1st
CASPA Verified: August 19th

Age at application: 22

1st GRE: 149 (verbal), 149 (quantitative), 4 (writing)

Direct Patient Care Experience: >1000 hours as a Patient Care Assistant at a hospital, ~100 hours volunteering as a Health Coach while in Undergrad., >50 hours shadowing a Family Medicine MD and PA and a Pediatric MD.

Research: >500 hours of Organic Chemistry research 
Volunteer: 100

Extracurricular Activities: DIII Varsity Softball, President of Tri-Beta Honor Society, President of Student Athletic Advisory Committee, Volunteering at local school before/after program

Awards/Honors: DIII Scholar Athlete, Cum Laude, Honors on my Independent Study Thesis 

Schools Applied: Baldwin Wallace, University of Findlay, Marietta College, Mt. Union, West Liberty, Alderson-Broaddus, Oregon Health and Science University, Penn State, University of the Cumberlands, South College (Tennessee), University of Tennessee

Interview Invites: University of the Cumberlands, Mt. Union, Marietta (waiting), University of Findlay (waiting)

Denied: Oregon Health and Science University and University of Tennessee

Waitlisted: None

Acceptances: University of the Cumberlands and Mt. Union!!!!

Attending: Mt. Union!!!!!!!!

Still waiting to hear from all of the other schools, but in my case I feel very blessed to have received the interview opportunities that I did especially since this was my first time applying to PA schools. I thought for sure I wouldn't receive any interviews, but I learned not to sell myself short (and neither should you)!!! Mt. Union was my top choice and I was ecstatic to receive an interview but I didn't think I would ever get an acceptance. I truly believe that my interviews saved me because I prepared for weeks in advance, and I went into each one as MYSELF. Don't show the schools something you aren't because in the end it probably won't work out, they want to see who YOU are and what you have to offer. If you receive an interview, SMILE, BE YOURSELF, and BE HONEST!

Undergrad Ed School: Johns Hopkins
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.5
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.4
Graduate Ed School: N/A
Cumulative Graduate GPA: N/A
Science Graduate GPA: N/A

Age at application time : 22 or 23...

1st GRE: V 157 (71%), M 156 (71%), 4.5 W (94%)

Direct Patient Care : ED medical scribe >2000 hours, EMT 200 hours, shadowing 100h

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Research at Biological Chemistry,  Urology, and Pathology

Schools Applied: Arcadia, DeSales, Drexel, UF, Rutgers, Cornell, Duke, Albany, ...etc (rest does not matter but applied to like 15-17)

Application Submitted Date: mid June

Interview Invites (attended): Arcadia, DeSales, Drexel, Rutgers, Duke, Albany

Denied: Albany and Duke

Waitlisted: Rutgers

Accepted: Arcadia, DeSales, Drexel

Attending: most likely DeSales :)

1st attempt applying, goodluck everyone! Some advice I would give is: DON'T UNDERESTIMATE YOURSELF. I had a pretty bad last semester, below 3.0 GPA, which really brought down my cGPA and sGPA, but I took the prerequisites after I graduated at a community college, which boosted it back up to the 3.5. Also, if you stats are close to mine, apply to 10 schools. I applied wayyy too many (15-17), ended up getting interviews from 12 of them, and attended only 6 which is enough... after the 6th one, I was done. So DON'T APPLY TO A SCHOOL IF YOU DON'T INTEND ON GOING IF ACCEPTED!

Undergrad Ed School: University of Oregon
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.34
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.0
postbac: GPA 3.98 (Oregon State University)
Cumulative cGPA: 3.55
Cumulative sGPA: 3.78

Age at application time : 29

1st GRE: N/A

Direct Patient Care : 378 hours Spanish-English interpreter (volunteer), 500 and change as a cardiology scribe

Extracurricular/Research Activities: 160 hours research, secretary of pre-health science club

Schools Applied: SLU

Application Submitted Date: July 23rd

Interview Invites (attended): SLU

Denied: N/A

Waitlisted: N/A

Accepted: SLU

Attending: SLU

1st attempt applying

Undergrad Ed School: West Virginia University (BS athletic training)
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.51
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.39
Graduate Ed School: University of Nevada, Las Vegas (MS kinesiology)
Cumulative Graduate GPA: 3.68
Science Graduate GPA: 3.61

Age at application time : 23

1st GRE: Verbal 140, Quantitative 144, Writing 3.5

Direct Patient Care
Athletic training student: 1,658hrs

PA shadowing (orthopedics): 250hrs

Certified athletic trainer: 3,120hrs

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Thesis 

Schools Applied: Arcadia, Salus, Barry (st. croix), SUNY upstate medical, LIU, Nova southeastern (ft. lauderdale), 

Application Submitted Date: 9/14/15, verified 9/28/15

Schools Received Application Date: 10/5/15

Interview Invites: Barry

Denied: Arcadia 

Withdrew Application: NA

Waitlisted: NA

Accepted: Barry!

Undergraduate Education: SUNY Geneseo, BS Biology, Minor in Environmental Studies

Cumulative GPA (per CASPA): 3.79

Science GPA (per CASPA): 3.77

Graduate GPA: N/A

CASPA submitted: May 26th

CASPA verified: 6/1/2015

Age at time of application: 23

Attempt: 1st

GRE:  Verbal: 161,  Quantitative: 166,  Writing: 4.0

LORs: 2 professors, and 1 paramedic

Direct Patient Care Experience: 500 hours at time of application (now ~2000):

- Emergency Room Medical Scribe (1700)

- Volunteer EMT (300)

Research:

Nothing outside research projects done for classwork.

Shadowing: 

~80 hours between shadowing an MD, PA, and NP. 

Schools applied to: 10 total -  Penn State University, Yale University, Le Moyne, Upstate Medical, Thomas Jefferson, Drexel University, Lock Haven University, Wake Forest, Chatham, and DeSales

Interview Offers: Penn State, Yale, Le Moyne, Upstate, Drexel, Lock Haven, Chatham, DeSales

Interviews attended: Penn State, Yale, Drexel, and Lock Haven

Waitlisted: None

Accepted: Penn State, Drexel, and Lock Haven

Withdrew: Le Moyne, Upstate, Thomas Jefferson, Wake Forest (did not complete secondary), Chatham, DeSales

Attending: Penn State!!

Good Luck Everyone!!

Undergraduate Education: Towson University, BTPS in Allied Health

cGPA: 3.03

sGPA: 3.14

Graduate GPA: N/A

CASPA submitted: 5/22/15

CASPA verified: 6/05/15

Age at time of application: 38

Attempt: 1st

GRE: 316

V: 165   Q:151   Writing: 4.0

LOR: 1 Academic advisor/ professor, 2 PA

Patient Care Experience: 21,000+ (8 year Navy Corpsman, 3 year ER tech/ CNA, volunteer EMT)

Research: 0

Shadowing: 24 hours (outpatient derm PA, inpatient hospitalist PA)

Schools applied to: 12 (13 campuses): Arcadia (both campuses), Barry, Baylor, Des Moines, Desales, Harding, Penn State, Rosalind Franklin, University of Florida, University of Missouri, University of North Texas, Wake Forrest 

Interview offer: Des Moines, Penn State, University of Florida, Wake Forrest

Interview attended: Des Moines, Penn State, Wake Forrest

Denied: Arcadia (both campuses), Penn State, University of Missouri, University of North Texas

Accepted: Des Moines, Wake Forrest

Withdrawn: Barry, Baylor, Desales, Harding, Rosalind Franklin, University of Florida

Attending: Wake Forrest

It can be done. Research the programs; every program, and find the right fit for you.  I pared my list down from over 200 schools to these 12.  I was invited to interview at 3 out of the top five schools I felt I was competitive at.  If you have a low GPA, look for the words "holistic review" and have a strong application.  Know how you compare to the averages and do not give up.  There are hundreds of seats every year and you only need one.

• Upvote 5

Undergrad Ed School: East Carolina University

Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.38 (3.32 CASPA)

Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.17

Age at application time : 22

1st GRE: 148q 148v Analytical - 3.0

2nd GRE: 148q 150v Analytical - 4.0 (Don't know if i should retake the GRE for this application cycle).

Direct Patient Care :

Medical scribe - 1,147 hours

Shadowing orthopedic surgeon/PA and cardio-thoracic surgeon - 300 hours

Extracurricular/Research Activities:

Undergraduate assistant for general biology lab.

Graduate research assistant in the biology department.

Internship at Vidant Medical Center.

University anatomy tutor.

Athletics.

Schools Applied: High Point, Elon, Campbell, East Carolina, South College

Application Submitted Date: September 2015 - November 2015

Schools Received Application Date: September 2015 - November 2015

Interview Invites:

Denied: High Point

Withdrew Application:

Waitlisted:

Accepted:

You definitely want a GRE of 300+ to be competitive. Your GPA is on the lower side, and you dont have any good direct patient care experience. I'd take a year, retake the GRE, get 2000 hours of work as a CNA, EMT, etc, and then try again if this year doesnt work out.

Undergrad Institution: 
Temple University
Degree: BS, Kinesiology
GPA: 3.82
Science GPA: 3.78

Graduate Institution: 

University of Delaware

Degree: MS, Exercise Science 
GPA: 4.0
Science GPA: 4.0

CASPA Verified GPAs: 
Cumulative: 3.85
Science: 3.83

Age at Time of Application: 24

GRE Scores: Verbal - 160, Quantitative - 160, Writing - 4

Patient Care Experience: 80 hours as exercise physiologist in stress test lab, 100 hours as a hospital volunteer

Shadowing Experience: 80 hours family practice NP

Research Experience: 300 hours (at time of application) as research assistant (graduate), 100 hours as research assistant (undergrad)

Community Service/Extracurricular: 360 hours as teaching assistant (A&P lab), 1000 hours as officer for women's club volleyball team (undergrad), additional activities included senator for graduate student government, ambassador and peer mentor for honors program at TU, and peer mentor for student-athletes at TU

Awards/Honors: Undergrad - Magna Cum Laude, Outstanding Senior in Kinesiology, Dean's List, Honors Program Director's List, Temple Scholars Award; Graduate - Full Graduate Funding, Neeve's Award for Outstanding Master's Thesis

Schools Applied: 

Thomas Jefferson University

Arcadia University (Glenside campus)

Penn State Hershey

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PA campus)

DeSales University

Philadelphia University

Interviews:
Jefferson

Arcadia

Penn State

PCOM (declined)

Accepted: Jefferson, Arcadia, and Penn State

Waitlisted: N/A

Withdrawn: PCOM, DeSales, and Philly U

Rejected: N/A

Attending: Thomas Jefferson University!!!!

Comments: This was my first year applying and I was really nervous about my lack of direct HCE/PCE hours. I think I made up for my lack of hours with a strong undergrad and graduate GPA, strong GRE scores, and good letters of recommendation. I also spent a lot of time preparing for the interviews by researching the programs that I was applying to and prepping answers to common interview questions. I also owned up to the fact that I was lacking in hours at my interviews (stating I knew that this was where my application was the weakest) and instead trying to highlight other areas of my applications, such as my research hours, etc. If anyone has any questions they want to ask, please feel free to PM me!

• Upvote 3

Undergraduate Ed School: West Chester University of PA; B.S. Exercise Science

Cumulative Undergrad GPA: 4.0

Science GPA: 4.0

CASPA Verified: August 24th

Age at time of application: 21

GRE Scores: 159- Quantitative; 160- Verbal; 4.5- Writing

Direct Patient Care Experience: ~400 hours CNA in assisted living facility

Health Care Experience: 500 hours volunteer work in emergency department/ambulatory care

Shadowing: ~100 hours (urgent care, gen surgery, internal medicine, NICU, nephrology, vascular, peds, etc.)

Community Service/Extracurricular Activities: member of Phi Epsilon Kappa honors society; vice president of campus Habitat for Humanity chapter; volunteer work for American Red Cross

Schools Applied: Arcadia (both campuses), Philadelphia U, DeSales, Thomas Jefferson, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, King's College

Interviews: Arcadia (Delaware), DeSales, Thomas Jefferson, PCOM (declined interview at King's)

Accepted: Arcadia (Delaware), DeSales, Thomas Jefferson, PCOM

Attending: DeSales University!!!

The best piece of advice I can give everyone is to be confident in yourself and to be yourself at the interviews. I didn't really prepare much for the interviews and just answered the questions honestly. Good luck to everyone!

Undergraduate Education: Florida State University, BS in Interior Design

Cumulative GPA (per CASPA): 3.65

Science GPA (per CASPA): 4.0

CASPA submitted: 5/20

CASPA verified: 5/22

Age at time of application: 26

Attempt: 2nd

GRE:  Verbal: 155,  Quantitative: 157,  Writing: 4.0

LORs: 1 professor, 1 PA, 1 Nurse Manager

Direct Patient Care Experience:

- CNA in Hospital: 1,400 hours at time of application (now 2,440):

Shadowing: 

- About 50 hours with 2 ortho PAs, and an Oncology PA.

Honors/Awards:

- Dean’s List all through college

Volunteering:

-       120 hours at the local hospital

-       240 hours at an orphanage in South Korea  

Schools applied to:  Barry (St. Pete), South University Tampa, South University Savannah, Midwestern University Downers Grove, Pace, Pacific, UNE, UC Davis, Philadelphia, Chatham, Touro, DeSales

Rejected: Philadelphia

Interview Invites: South Tampa, South Savannah, Midwestern, Pace, UC Davis, DeSales, Chatham

Interviews Attended: South Tampa, South Savannah, Midwestern

Waitlisted: None

Accepted: South Tampa, South Savannah, Midwestern

Withdrew: Barry, Pace, UC Davis, DeSales, Chatham, UNE, Pacific, Touro

Attending: South University Tampa

I am so super stoked to be going to South!!

To all those non-traditional students, don’t lose hope!! I did my undergrad in an arts degree and that didn’t hold me back.

I applied last year (last minute) with a very weak and rushed application and not surprisingly got rejected. This year around I prepared better and expanded my school selection. I got interviews at quite a few of the schools I applied to, and got accepted at all of the ones I interviewed at which was pretty amazing. Congrats to everyone else getting accepted this cycle, and good luck all those still waiting to hear back :)

Undergraduate Education: University of Maryland, BS in kinesiology
Cumulative GPA (per CASPA): 3.50
Science GPA (per CASPA): 3.51

CASPA submitted: May 1
CASPA verified: 5/7/2015
Age at time of application: 24

GRE: Verbal: 153, Quantitative: 163, Writing: 4.0

LORs: 1 professor, 1 PA, 3 physicians

Direct Patient Care Experience: 2,500 hours clinical assistant at a hospital in Neuro IR
200 hours assisting/scribing in plastic surgery
300 hours assisting in orthopedics

Research:
2,000 hours doing clinical research in Neuro IR and 13 publications

Shadowing:
50 hours shadowing a PA

Schools applied to: Towson, Anne Arundel, GWU, Drexel, Thomas Jefferson, Temple, Rush, Cornell, Pace, LIU, Northeastern, BU, MGH

Interview Offers: Towson, Rush, Northeastern, Anne Arundel, Temple, TJU, Pace
Interviews attended: Towson, Rush, Northeastern
Waitlisted: Rush (withdrew from waitlist)
Accepted: Towson
Withdrew: Temple, TJU, Anne Arundel, Rush
Rejected: MGH, BU, Northeastern, and assuming everywhere else I haven't heard from

Attending: Towson/CCBC! 

Undergrad Education: Towson University

Cumulative Undergrad: GPA: 3.51a

Science Undergrad GPA: 3.32

Post-Baccalaureate GPA: 4.00 (7 Credits – 2 Courses)

Overall GPA: 3.54

Age at time of application: 23

Application Submitted Date: 6/08/2015

Schools Received Application Date: 6/30/2015

Direct Patient Care Experience: About 1,730 hours at time of application as an EMT, etc.

Volunteering: Over 3,700 hours at my local volunteer Fire Station.

Shadowing:

-125 hours shadowing various Physicians in Trauma Centers and Intensive Care Units.

-95 hours shadowing Urgent Care/Emergency Physician Assistant.

-70 hours shadowing surgical Physician Assistant

Schools Applied: Towson University/CCBC, West Liberty University, University of the Sciences of Philadelphia, Saint Francis University, Philadelphia University, Pace University, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Kings College, Hofstra University.

Interview Invites: Towson University/CCBC, Saint Francis University, Philadelphia University, and University of the Sciences of Philadelphia.

Interviews Attended: Towson University/CCBC

Denied: Pace University

Withdrew Application: West Liberty University, University of the Sciences of Philadelphia, Saint Francis University, Philadelphia University, Pace University, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Kings College, Hofstra University.

Waitlisted: None.

Accepted: Towson University/CCBC

Attending: Towson University/CCBC!

Extremely excited to be attending my number one choice in programs, Towson/CCBC. I almost didn't apply this year because I didn't think I had a chance of getting in but I have received interviews at 4/5 schools that I heard from. I interviewed at my number one school first and didn't need to interview at any other schools after being accepted. I had great letters of recommendation, and I prepared for my interview for over a month. Make sure you submit your application early and do everything you can to prepare for the interview.  

Undergraduate Education: Texas Tech Univ., BA Psychology/Biology

cGPA: 3.7

sGPA: 3.6

Post-baccalaureate: 4.0 (Statistics, Chem1, Chem2, OChem, A&P2, Genetics)

Graduate Education: UT Dallas, MS Neuro in progress

Graduate GPA: 3.9

CASPA submitted: 6/6/15

CASPA verified: 6/12/15

Age at time of application: 24

GRE: V: 152 (54%)  Q: 155 (60%)   Writing: 4.0 (56%)

LOR: 1 Professor, 1 PA, 1 Supervisor

Patient Care Experience: >2500 hours Clinic Staff Assistant orthopedic surgery

Research: 350 hours Molecular Pathology program assistant, 220 hours Human Factors Psychology research assistant, >400 hours PTSD study research assistant

Shadowing: 20 hours (13 hrs family medicine PA, 7 hrs ortho PA)

Schools applied to: UTSW, UNTHSC, TTUHSC, Baylor

Interview offer: UNTHSC

Interview attended: UNTHSC

Denied: UTSW, TTUHSC (too many pre-reqs in progress for the latter during fall 2015)

Accepted: UNTHSC

Withdrawn: Possibly Baylor

Attending: UNTHSC!!

I figured as much as I used this forum to maintain sanity and find hope during the app process, I would give back so other prospective PA students can feel the same. The feedback I got from schools where I was rejected was that my LORs were "less-than-stellar," likely because I asked my writers last minute. Every aspect of your application counts. Good luck!

Undergraduate Education: University of Illinois; BS in Kinesiology

cGPA: 3.8

sGPA: 3.8

Post-baccalaureate: 4.0 (Microbiology)

Graduate Education: N/A

CASPA submitted: 9/23/15

CASPA verified: 10/03/15

Age at time of application: 29

GRE: V: 160 (85%)  Q: 158 (64%)   Writing: 4.5 (80%)

LOR: 1 Professor, 3 PAs, 1 EMS Coordinator

Patient Care Experience: >7500 hours: 3100 ER HCT, 1600 EMT-B, 800 Army Medic, 2000 Paramedic (Approximates)

Shadowing: 110 hours (70 hrs Army PA, 12 hrs orthopedic PA, 18 hrs Primary Care PA, 10 hrs ER PA)

Schools applied to: Southern Illinois University (Carbondale)

Interview offer: SIU

Interview attended: SIU

Denied: None

Accepted: SIU

Withdrawn: None

Attending: SIU

First time applying.  SIU was my first choice; since I didn't want to go anywhere else, I didn't apply to any other school.  They received my application on 10/16/15, and received an invite to an interview on 11/16/15 the same day.  I did not try and memorize any interview answers; in order to keep my answers genuine, and not seem like I only had rehearsed answers.  I guess hard work and genuineness really does pay off.

• Upvote 1

Undergraduate Education: University of Nevada, Las Vegas, BS in Biology, minor in psychology

cGPA: 3.58

sGPA: 3.41

CASPA submitted: July 1,2015

CASPA verified: July 21,'2015

Age at time of application: 28

GRE: V: 156 Q: 154) Writing: 4.5

LOR: clinical supervisor, PA, and MD

Patient Care Experience: 6000 ER Tech, 1200 EMT

Shadowing: 21 hrs with ICU PA, 10'hrs ER MD, 10 hrs ER PA

Schools applied to: Touro Nevada, Wingate, Wakeforest, UTMB, Elon, UNE, NAU, Nova Southeastern.

Interview offer: All schools

Interview attended: NAU and UTMB

Denied: NAU

Accepted: UTMB

Withdrawn: All others

Attending: UTMB

Undergraduate Education: Monmouth University Class of 2016, BS in Biology with a concentration in Molecular Cell Physiology

cGPA: 3.85

sGPA: 3.96

Graduate Education: N/A

CASPA submitted: 6/20/15

CASPA verified: 7/09/15

Age at time of application: 21

GRE: V: 155 (67%)  Q: 149 (37%)   Writing: 3.5 (38%)  I did not prepare much for the GRE's because only 2 schools that I applied to required them and they were not my top choices to begin with.

LOR: 4 Professors for a compiled faculty letter, 1 Orthopedic Surgeon, 1 Boss

Patient Care Experience: approximately 1500 hours (EMT, medical volunteer at Special Olympics, hospital volunteer)

Research: 1 year working with MRSA and essential oil treatments

Shadowing: approximately 100 hours with various ortho PAs

Schools applied to: Hofstra, Monmouth, Rutgers, Drexel, DeSales, Stony Brook, Arcadia

Interview offer: Hofstra, Monmouth, Rutgers

Interview attended: Hofstra, Monmouth, Rutgers

Denied: Rutgers, Arcadia, Stony Brook

Accepted: Hofstra, Monmouth

Withdrawn Acceptances: Monmouth

Have Yet to Hear From: Drexel, DeSales (but I am withdrawing my applications from these programs)

Attending:  Hofstra Class of 2018!!!