Applying for 2016 start/2018 graduating class

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some tips I would say are to be early, use humility, and be yourself. They are interested in knowing who you are in the small time given. Make sure you get the required PA shadowing hours and try to get 2-3 types of practices. Know why you want to become a PA and why you want to go to GRU.

@HumbleSauce, thanks for the advice! Are you a current student?  If so, how do you like the program?  They seem so eager for their students to succeed (which is great), and have excellent first time PANCE rates.  I also like that they have a full cadaver lab.  My other choice does not. 

@JPG13-I also work with a large group of 30 PA's and have TONS of hours working directly them with.  I listed in on my CASPA app but just as compensated hours. 

Hey! I'm applying to GRU this round! I applied last year and made the waiting list so I'm hoping I'm still invited for an interview this year and hopefully accepted! They have a gorgeous campus and a very nice facility. One of my top choices!! Good luck everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

First time applicant here, applying in July!  I'm a non-traditional student going back to school in my late 30s :-)  Does anyone know if the shadowing hours must be completed when the application is submitted?  or by the time of admittance?  I only have about 60 hours so far, 3 different specialties...  I'm still working on my science prereqs which don't have to be completed during application.  Thanks for any help or advice out there!  I know GRU is super competitive!  Good luck to everyone!!

First time applicant here, applying in July!  I'm a non-traditional student going back to school in my late 30s :-)  Does anyone know if the shadowing hours must be completed when the application is submitted?  or by the time of admittance?  I only have about 60 hours so far, 3 different specialties...  I'm still working on my science prereqs which don't have to be completed during application.  Thanks for any help or advice out there!  I know GRU is super competitive!  Good luck to everyone!!

@Lbw1207 we are in the same boat!  I'm in my 30's as well, have a daughter, mortgage, all the grown up responsibilities. I say the life experiences will benefit us.  :)  I'm not sure if shadowing hours have to be completed before applying-sorry.  Maybe HumbleSauce could answer? Best of luck to you!

When I interviewed at GRU last cycle, I had my shadowing hours completed but most of the others in my group did not. I was under the impression that they needed to be completed by the time of the submission but apparently you can still be invited to an interview! And this was a late interview.. in December! So I'd say get as many done as you can but if you can't, its ok! AND you can always send an email or snail mail letter with updated hours. I did that with CNA hours. Hope that helps!

@Lbw1207 we are in the same boat!  I'm in my 30's as well, have a daughter, mortgage, all the grown up responsibilities. I say the life experiences will benefit us.  :)  I'm not sure if shadowing hours have to be completed before applying-sorry.  Maybe HumbleSauce could answer? Best of luck to you!

@had1118 so glad to hear its not just me going back for career number 2!!  I have 2 boys and yes all of the other responsibilities that come with that, I'm praying to get in this cycle so I can be out of school around 40ish!!  But I hear many are waitlisted and apply 2 and 3 times before being accepted, I think it will be all worth the wait!!  Good luck to you as well!!

When I interviewed at GRU last cycle, I had my shadowing hours completed but most of the others in my group did not. I was under the impression that they needed to be completed by the time of the submission but apparently you can still be invited to an interview! And this was a late interview.. in December! So I'd say get as many done as you can but if you can't, its ok! AND you can always send an email or snail mail letter with updated hours. I did that with CNA hours. Hope that helps!

@jnorton3 thanks so much for the response, that helps!!!  I know I can get the hours completed throughout the interview cycle, but not by the first part of July (next week, yikes!!).  Best of luck this time around, I hear 2nd times the charm with GRU!! :-)

Hey there! I'm planning on applying in July as well, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight on the LOR. From what I have read on GRU's website, they are looking for clinical references. So does this mean that a professor would not be a good LOR to have? I'm a recent graduate from an athletic training program, so I have clinical preceptors to help me out but I'm just on the fence of whether or not I should have my professor write one as well. 

I used one clinical PA, one clinical surgeon, and a science professor that knew me well academically.

"We recommend strongly that at least one of your references be provided by a physician assistant who has seen you in action with patients or in a volunteer capacity."

I would suggest mostly clinical references, especially if your GPA and GRE are high.

Has anyone started the online application process?  I am currently filling it out but got to a page about Graduate Nursing Supplement and at the bottom it has several different Nursing degrees with a big box to enter your reasons for applying.  I clicked on the PA link to Apply Now, just making sure I'm filling out the correct application before I submit my payment!!  Also, no where on the application does it ask for personal statement, shadowing hours, etc...  Anyone else??

First time applicant with questions! I graduated in 2011 December and worked in Pharmacy for couple years and currently as a patient care tech in a hospital. I meet all requirements for applying except in my shadow hours... how strict are they on this portion of the application? I have been reaching out to PAs and NPs but only 1 PA and 1 Dr has allowed me to shadow. I used linkedin to reach out to PAs who are alumni from my undergraduate school but since I went to The University of Alabama almost everyone is from there. Any advice/tips/hope for me? Im still working towards those hours but I dont think I can get 100 and submit my application ASAP as I'd like... and I would really like to attend this school due to its incredible facilities, use of actual cadavers, and the immpeccanle pass rates on the PANCE. I don't want this one portion to keep me out of my career!

Also in the part about obstacles you've overcome and such... what are they looking for? What have some of you written? Just curious to know what kind of answer they are looking for... I don't have any crazy stories but just the basic obstacle of figuring out what I wanted to do in this world and the work (encouraging and discouraging) I've put in to make my dream come true. 

Any and all feedback is welcome! Thanks!

question for those already applying online!  Under Autobiographical information... is that where you are inserting your personal statement?  I don't see another place for it, thanks!!  All the best to everyone!

@abwiggins, under obstacles, successes etc...  I focused on academic career, that's pretty much it.  but I haven't finished and submitted so if anyone else has pointers, please share them!

I'm just starting my application and cannot select a term when it ask you which program you are applying to.  I can select Master of Physician Assistant, but the drop down box to select the term is blank when I click it.  It won't let me go any further either because it says I need to select a term.  I've emailed the program. Any suggestions?? 

question for those already applying online!  Under Autobiographical information... is that where you are inserting your personal statement?  I don't see another place for it, thanks!!  All the best to everyone!

@abwiggins, under obstacles, successes etc...  I focused on academic career, that's pretty much it.  but I haven't finished and submitted so if anyone else has pointers, please share them!

How long would you say yours was? Im having a hard time expressing exactly what I am trying to say! I loathe writing essays/papers Im such a get to the point person haha!

Anybody have any tips on how to get someone to allow you to shadow them? Ive dropped off resumes to offices with a letter attached as to what I was looking to do and no one gets back to me and when I follow up they are always "Unavailable" aahhh! really nervous about my shadow hours 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived