West VA Charleston University

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on landing an interview! I'm a student in the University of Charleston PA Program. Embassy Suites, Charleston Marriott and Four Points are hotels within a 10 minute drive. There are more options, too, depending on your budget.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have about the program or the area. Good luck!

No worries! It is a good thing to have questions.

When to interview is up to you. I chose morning to get it over with, but if you aren't a morning person, go afternoon.

Plenty of places to live. You can live on campus in the graduate dorms or in any one of MANY apartment complexes in the area.

The small class size is something I have loved. UC has great students and faculty.

The interview is intimidating to some but really is not too tough imo. Make sure you've done your homework on UC and the PA profession. Prepare some questions to ask the faculty. Be confident but not arrogant. RELAX!

I'm still in the didactic year so I can't say much about rotations but I hear good things from the students currently rotating. Charleston is a medical hub in WV so there is a lot of medicine in the area.

These are great questions. Write them down to ask during your interview!

• 4 weeks later...

I submitted my supplemental application within the last week, and I just got an interview offer today! There is still hope for you! It is for August 27th in the morning. I chose the morning slot because I plan on driving home after the interview. PAdawan, when you say Charleston is a medical hub, can you elaborate? Good luck to everyone interviewing! 

I will gladly elaborate!

Most of WV is pretty rural and Kanawha County, which contains Charleston, is surrounded by counties which qualify as medically underserved (source: http://muafind.hrsa.gov/)

Since there is such low population density in these areas, their collectively large population flocks to the closest, biggest city for medical care. That city is Charleston. It is also important to note that WV and especially southern WV have high statistical rates of obesity, poor diet, sedentary lifestyle, cancer, prescription drug abuse, depression, tobacco use and mental illness. Combine the number of people in need of healthcare with the lack of healthcare options in WV's more rural areas and you get places like Charleston which turn in to medical hubs. Driving around Charleston gives a great impression of this because there are just so many clinics, hospitals, specialty offices, imaging centers and practices. Multiple medical schools have a heavy presence here for the reasons I mentioned.

Hope this provides some clarity. I'm always happy to answer questions.

Best of luck to those interviewing!

I will gladly elaborate!

Most of WV is pretty rural and Kanawha County, which contains Charleston, is surrounded by counties which qualify as medically underserved (source: http://muafind.hrsa.gov/)

Since there is such low population density in these areas, their collectively large population flocks to the closest, biggest city for medical care. That city is Charleston. It is also important to note that WV and especially southern WV have high statistical rates of obesity, poor diet, sedentary lifestyle, cancer, prescription drug abuse, depression, tobacco use and mental illness. Combine the number of people in need of healthcare with the lack of healthcare options in WV's more rural areas and you get places like Charleston which turn in to medical hubs. Driving around Charleston gives a great impression of this because there are just so many clinics, hospitals, specialty offices, imaging centers and practices. Multiple medical schools have a heavy presence here for the reasons I mentioned.

Hope this provides some clarity. I'm always happy to answer questions.

Best of luck to those interviewing!

Thank you! That was very useful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feeling so, so fortunate to have received an interview for 8/28 at 12:45PM. Pam has been very patient and professional througout this process. 

Does anyone know what the interviews are like? 

Congrats, when did you submit your application/what was the turnaround time for you to hear back about the interview?

Archived