Application cycle 2015-2016

You deserve it all your hard work and ambition l

Paid off!!! I plan to retake general chemistry 1 and 2 of not successful this year. I also have to repeat a&p cuz time limit even though received an A In both. Currently I have two full time jobs: hospice/ home health aide and work as an aide in a hospital on the PCU. I volunteer at a separate hospice company a few hours every week and visit patients. I used to work at a long term care/rehab (2 years) and an assisted living ( 6 months). I hope this is plenty of experience for them to see. I have good gpa just not so hot GRE. What do u think?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You deserve it all your hard work and ambition l

Paid off!!! I plan to retake general chemistry 1 and 2 of not successful this year. I also have to repeat a&p cuz time limit even though received an A In both. Currently I have two full time jobs: hospice/ home health aide and work as an aide in a hospital on the PCU. I volunteer at a separate hospice company a few hours every week and visit patients. I used to work at a long term care/rehab (2 years) and an assisted living ( 6 months). I hope this is plenty of experience for them to see. I have good gpa just not so hot GRE. What do u think?

I think your experience is great however, if I may suggest, maybe try getting some experience in the ER or on a high risk unit. I promise you will learn so much and it will build your confidence. Retaking undergrad courses is ok but they will see that you retook it. I know they say that Master programs are pricey but so worth it because it gives them no ammunition to question your grades. You said your GPA is stellar so start with retaking the undergrad first and if you still don't get in definitely go for the Masters. If your GRE is not so hot look into Magoosh! They saved me. I am a visual person learner and Magoosh is endless videos and instructional videos on problems you encounter on the GRE. Then you take practice GRE'S and the website tells you what you will make. It was spot on, on the verbal but I actually scored 5 points higher in math! I paid $99 studied everyday, 8 hours a day, for 30 days and rocked the test. You can do it!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I'm a current student at this campus so feel free to ask me any questions! I'm excited to be able to help you guys out & meet a few of you during your interviews. Good luck to all of you applying :)

Can you share your experience as a student at nova? Experience in classes , faculty, clinicals, etc?

This is open to any current students by the way :)

I am coming from out of state and don't know any students so I would love to hear a students perspective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not had clinicals yet.

First year (15 months) is didactics. Summer I is introductory and gets your feet wet pretty fast as a student. You'll need to put a lot of time into study.

Fall is hard. You start having your medicine classes, and it just seems never ending test upon test.

Winter is like a continuation of fall, only longer. Not looking forward to it.

Summer II is like a breath of fresh air. Your schedule will seem light and airy.

Classes are M-F typically 8-4:20, but 1 day a week you'll have pharmacology until 8:00 pm, to accommodate our pharmacology professor's schedule. He's a practicing pharmacist. We do start later on those days.

You'll have to study all the time. It's hard and a lot of work, but it can be done.

Our faculty is really great. They are awesome, caring people that want you to succeed.

Our class especially (go 2017) is really good with teamwork and being not competitive with each other and supportive. I want everyone to do well. I love the atmosphere at Nova.

We have at least one or two people in our class from California. One from Utah. Some from Michigan. We're mostly Florida based, but people definitely chose to come here from far away because of the program. I couldn't be happier with my choice, really.

I have not had clinicals yet.

First year (15 months) is didactics. Summer I is introductory and gets your feet wet pretty fast as a student. You'll need to put a lot of time into study.

Fall is hard. You start having your medicine classes, and it just seems never ending test upon test.

Winter is like a continuation of fall, only longer. Not looking forward to it.

Summer II is like a breath of fresh air. Your schedule will seem light and airy.

Classes are M-F typically 8-4:20, but 1 day a week you'll have pharmacology until 8:00 pm, to accommodate our pharmacology professor's schedule. He's a practicing pharmacist. We do start later on those days.

You'll have to study all the time. It's hard and a lot of work, but it can be done.

Our faculty is really great. They are awesome, caring people that want you to succeed.

Our class especially (go 2017) is really good with teamwork and being not competitive with each other and supportive. I want everyone to do well. I love the atmosphere at Nova.

We have at least one or two people in our class from California. One from Utah. Some from Michigan. We're mostly Florida based, but people definitely chose to come here from far away because of the program. I couldn't be happier with my choice, really.

Thanks for the information!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are all of your guys' stats? I'm applying in the 2016 cycle next year to begin in 2017. Here are my stats, I'm really hoping to get in.

At time of application submittal, which will be approximately August 1st, 2016, my stats will be:

Undergrad Ed School: University of California, Los Angeles, UCLA

Major: Physics B.S.
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.5
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.41
Post Bachelor GPA: 4.0

Pre-Req GPA: 4.0 (I will have all required, recommended, and more. At time of supplemental application submittal I will be enrolled in biochemistry and clinical pathophysiology)

Age at application time : 23-24

GRE: ~72nd percentile across the board 

Direct Patient Care : Phlebotomist in hospital 720 hours

Extracurricular/Research Activities:

US Department of Energy, Fermilab summer intern (high energy particle physics lab)

Volunteer ESL instructor

UCLA new student freshmen/transfer counselor volunteer

Private tutor in math and physics

Dance classes and performances

Schools Applied: Northern Arizona University, A.T. Still University, Nova Southeastern University (Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Fort Myers)

Top Choices: Northern Arizona University, Nova Southeastern University (Fort Lauderdale)
Application Submitted Date: ~August 1st, 2016

Schools Received Application Date: 

Interview Invites: 

Denied: 

Withdrew Application: 

Waitlisted: 

Accepted: 

Attempts:

-I won't be starting my full time phlebotomy work until mid March 2016

-I'll be finishing human anatomy physiology 1 and microbiology in mid May 2016

-I'll be finishing human anatomy physiology 2 and genetics mid July 2016

I need to choose an optimal time to submit my application next year, balancing turning it in early since its rolling admissions vs. turning it in later with more of the pre-reqs actually completed on transcripts with "A" next to them and increased completed health care hours rather than projected.

I'm thinking optimal might be as soon as I complete the last 2 pre-reqs in mid0July and have the grades available, which would be approximately August 1st. That's still kinda late though.

At least then if I have to apply again in 2016 I'll have Biochemistry and Clinical Pathophysiology completed and enrolled in OChem 2 and a Human Pathophysiology class, more health care hours, and I can do the CASPA application really quickly and turn it in as soon as it opens in April and be first in line hahaha.

On a side note,

I wanna work for a plastic surgeon/cosmetic dermatologist and make bank for a few years, pay off all debts, and then live comfortably working part time and pursue other life hobbies. :D

Working 20 hours per week instead of 40 hours per week over the course of 35 years during your career gives you an extra (1040hrs/year)(35years) = 36400 hours = 4.2 years of free time over the course of 35 years of work from, say, 28-63.

If you know about the book Outliers where the author talks about it taking 10000 hours of effective practice to reach the top skill level in a field, discipline, art, skill, or whatever, thats enough time to be a world-class master of 3 things you wouldn't have otherwise or an EXTREME jack of all trades ;p

Derek - this is a professional forum. While we are all adults, watch your language. Also, I wouldn't recommend advertising how much time you spent on tinder. Prioritizing that over your GRE doesn't reflect very highly on you. If you think that people associated with these programs don't check the forums... You're wrong.

You don't present yourself as ready to make life and death decisions in just a few short years should you be granted a spot in the future.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived