EM job in NYC

received an offer today, and it goes like...

36hrs/wk, 85k ($45.40598/hr), full health benies (medical/vision/dental), malpractice , retirement plan available, 1 Week CME w/ $1350, 5wks vaca. 1hr14min from home by train (40-50 or less by car depending on traffic).

my background: primary care x ~ 1yr.

what do you think between this and my primary care job offer?

cME money need to go up. Plus commute adds to your hours so in reality it is not 36 hr/ wk but 45hr/wk since technically you can't do anything while on the train or in the car. For 85k unless it will give awesome retirement or loan assist I would pass. If you can increase salary to at least 93-95k you can consider. What is patient volume? Any production bonus?

Unfortunately, I think that salary is pretty much about the standard for NYC from what I have heard. If you absolutely must work in NYC, you probably won't do a whole lot better. But might I suggest looking upstate just a bit? There are some great hospitals north of the city that probably pay far better than the ones in NYC. TeamHealth staffs quite a few EDs in the area.

salary is non negotiable. If I accept it, I would be making the same that I am making right now in P.C.  but with less of the hassles and WAYYY better benies. one Year from now they will be merging with a bigger network, so hopefully ill be in the 90s.

akdEM - I cannot move out of NYC right now, everything has to be either Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan or Long Island.

cME money need to go up. Plus commute adds to your hours so in reality it is not 36 hr/ wk but 45hr/wk since technically you can't do anything while on the train or in the car. For 85k unless it will give awesome retirement or loan assist I would pass. If you can increase salary to at least 93-95k you can consider. What is patient volume? Any production bonus?

commuting is part of everyone's job. asking for more base on that would be a tough sell I feel.

yeah CME money is low. no loan repayment, it's ED. loan repayment is for PC/OB/Psych I think.

Archived