Hawaii PAs

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

This places uses lots of PAs. it's basically a high acuity 24 hr urgent care/freestanding E.D. with ambulatory care/family medicine during the day. if you want to work there locums they cover HI license, air, and lodging + $65/hr

www.wcchc.com

I have a good friend who worked there full time for years and now works there 2 weeks/yr as a locums.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I am in talks with a recruiter for a job in Maui, anybody still working in Maui; that can discuss your experiences. We have 3 children and it'll be a major move, so I'm trying to get as much input as possible. Overall life on the island, schools, job experiences, salary ranges, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I lived on Oahu for several years - undergrad, started our big family- now in NC for PA school- I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can. Hawaii is an amazing place, however island life is not easy for everyone. A lot of people move there and it isn't what you think, so it's very transient- especially in the medical community. I personally am hoping to return my family home after PA school. Any connections there, please send my way!

• 2 years later...

Do any Hawaii PAs have any information about locations in Hawaii that are NHSC loan forgiveness eligible and would hire a new grad? I'm almost finished with my first year of PA school in New Mexcio and I'm looking to schedule my elective rotation in a location that would be promising for a first job. I have experience with wilderness medicine and Indigenous health and I'm very motivated to work remotely. 

For those interested in working in Hawaii that haven't been there as of yet, I would strongly encourage you to go spend a weeks vacation there and see what you think.  I've not lived there but have been fortunate enough to visit the four primary islands often enough to have a feel for each of them.  General observations on my part:

1)  Maui and Kauai away from the resorts are stuck in the 70's/80's.  Many residential structures from that era may not be what you are expecting (Ugh, EVERY bath on Kauai seems to have a tile counter top if not remodeled).

2)  Transient population, especially on Oahu, since folks can get there but after a while can't get off and then they're stuck there.  Personal opinion is that many want to live the 60's type of existence and unfortunately for them it's now the 21st century.

3)  There are the have's and the have not's that live there.  As noted online yesterday, there was an article discussing how the majority of individual homes are owned by investors for rental income.  Affordable housing for full-time residents that are not in high paying positions are hurting for affordable housing.  There's a new condo complex on Maui in Kihei that is directed toward locals primarily due to lack of housing.

4)  If you're used to zoning restrictions I think that you may find that somewhat lacking.

5)  Oahu housing is a vicious cycle housing wise due to our friends at Pearl and Hickam.  US provides a housing supplement for military personnel which the local real estate community is aware of thus whenever the government increases it's supplement the housing market increases in kind.

6)  No tiny houses to speak of due to zoning restrictions (believe it or not) and you don't see travel trailers on the islands.

7)  As noted previously in another thread I believe, my 4/2/2 brick one story in N. Texas in a very hot housing market is now over $310K.  A comparable house on Maui or Kauai (not possible since they don't use brick exteriors) would easily go for over $1M.

?  If you intend to purchase something, especially a condo, you need to understand the concepts of fee simple and leasehold properties.  Condo purchases require a minimum of 30% down for the most part (Maui at least does) to qualify for a traditional mortgage (I looked this past year).  Forget ocean/water front but you might get a peek-a-boo look of water for about $500K (2B/2B).  Big Island (Hawaii) traditionally has been the cheapest but I'm starting to see prices creep there as well.  The island is divided into "lava zones" which dictates your risk of possible lava exposure and thus impacts your homeowner's insurance.

9)  Each island is a county within the state and is thus subject to their own restrictions/guidelines.

10)  I've seen doc in the boxes on each of the islands but aside from Oahu I don't know that I could tell you where the "major medical center" is on each of the other islands since I've never run across them while out and about.

Anyone else actually living there please feel free to comment or correct any of my perceptions.  For housing examples try out Zillow.com or Realtor.com and put in your island, wants, price range, and see what pops up.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...