Chatham Uni pass/fail question

Hi all,

I haven't seen this question on the forum yet, so sorry to post this here if it's already been addressed. I'm ready to submit the CASPA application but I noticed something on Chatham's site that confused me...

"Pass/fail grades must be calculated into the GPA according to the minimum degree requirements for a “pass.” If the minimum required is a D, the course will be unacceptable unless documentation from the course instructor supports a higher grade."

I've e-mailed them for clarification and am still waiting for a reply, but I would like to submit my application ASAP. I had to take some gym classes to graduate from college and these were pass/fail. Does Chatham want me to give myself a C in my gym classes? That seems too ridiculous to be true because that would lower my cGPA (who gets a C in badminton?). I also did a shadowing J-term thing overseas that was pass/fail. If I give myself a C in that, then my sGPA will be lowered, and I would have certainly done better than a C. Pass/fail classes are listed on the application, but CASPA doesn't include them in GPAs. This seems alright to me.

Sorry to whine, but this seems a bit nuts. Does anyone have clarification on this from Chatham?

That is a really odd policy. I agree, call and see if you can get someone from Chatham on the phone to explain this. Usually, grades listed as Pass or Fail on a transcript are written on CASPA as Pass and Non-Pass and do not calculate into the CASPA GPA.

Archived