Any lower GPA hopefuls?

Any chance I can get some advice? 

Any suggestions, comments? 

What are my chances? 

I am a re-applicant for my 3rd year now. 

BS: Human Biology

Overall cumulative GPA: 3.02

Overall Science: 3.0

Pre-Reqs: 3.35

Last 60: 3.35

As of June 2015: 

~1200 HCE. Direct Hands on 

EMT certified: 

Patient Care Tech in the ER. (insert foleys, suture removal, staple removal, venupunctures, vitals, EKG technician, fiber-glass splint applications, basic patient hygiene, wound cleaning, suction, CPR, Cardiac monitoring, etc...) 

I have not given up on this dream. I know my GPA is low but it is extremely hard to pull that up with 158 total credit hours. 

Any masters programs ANYWHERE in the country that will help? I am willing to relocate if you have any advice on your personal journey. 

my GPA was lower the past two cycles: 2.97 

My HCE was around 300 hours

Please comment with respect, thank you. 

Why is your HCE so low? As a 3rd time applicant, you should have at least 6,000 hours by now ( 3 years working full time). Have you been taking courses to show your dedication to continuing education and your goal to raise your GPA? These are things I would wonder if I were on an adcom.

Why is your HCE so low? As a 3rd time applicant, you should have at least 6,000 hours by now ( 3 years working full time). Have you been taking courses to show your dedication to continuing education and your goal to raise your GPA? These are things I would wonder if I were on an adcom.

I couldn't find a job to save my life. I tried over and over. I shadowed a PA for 2 months after graduation. I kept applying for many positions including lab jobs, research, research assistants, hospitals that hired CNA's without certification, transport positions in hospitals. (all requiring experience, a bachelors of science wouldn't help)  

I ended up meeting someone at a restaurant who happened to be the president of a hospital (I told him my story), it is how I got my foot in the door. That is when I realized without knowing someone and having the connections you need, you cannot get any work. 

I just became EMT certified Fall 2014. 

To answer your question. I could not find any work, I got a 4.0 GPA my last round of courses. (fall 2014) 

To be honest, I got rejected so many times from job apps and other work, that I kind of just gave up for a little while. (How am I supposed to have 3 years experience for an intermediate lab job with a biology degree?) 

it is why I am here and asking, what is the best thing to do next? Masters? Certify in something else? Post-Bacc? 

Thanks for your concern and comment. 

Advice: don't reapply.  It's not cheap and you have the burden of explaining why you are trying yet again.

What I would do:  get work as an EMT, enroll in hard science courses.  Whatever you struggled with, explore it further by either retaking classes or moving around laterally within that subject.

Your priorities should look like this:

#1 - get that GPA up, whatever it takes

#2 - commit to racking up full time HCE hours as an EMT

HCE will not sub for low grades, the burden is on you to prove yourself academically by showing a positive upward trend by reeling off As like it's cool.  Give yourself time, this will take, at the very minimum, a full academic year including the summer of full time As.

Best of luck to you.

Your priorities should look like this:

#2 - commit to racking up full time HCE hours as an EMT

I agree with everything except for this suggestion. Based on the broadness of his current scope of practice as an ER Tech, I personally would not recommend 40 hours/week just for the sake of being an EMT. However, if you're bored of being a PCT and need a change of scenery then you make that decision.

Remember, it's more about the quality of experience and a lot less about the title.

You have a major hurdle to overcome considering how many times you've applied...you should have gotten EMT-certified a long time ago because those jobs are plentiful (at least for private ambulance companies). Regardless, there's nothing you can do to change what you've done now. I would not apply this cycle and instead spend the year retaking classes to bring up your GPA and rack up some HCE hours. Volunteer for under-served communities, shadow more, and start attending open houses to meet faculty members at the programs you're interested in.

Archived