Any help greatly appreciated. Rough first draft.

I have contemplated long and hard about why I want to become a Physician Assistant.  In doing so, it made me think back to my childhood dream; a dream of becoming a super hero. I would tie a towel around my neck and jump from various heights hoping I could learn to fly. Whenever there was an injured animal, I would bring it home to nurse it back to health. Every time a kid was getting bullied on the playground, I would stick up for them and let them know that I cared. But, as I grew up, I eventually learned that a true super hero isn’t exactly like they are in the comics. They can’t fly or shoot lasers beams. What they can do is help those who cannot help themselves. They save lives and genuinely care about people. I feel that becoming a PA would very much so fulfill my dream of becoming a super hero.  I simply want to help as many people as I can by ultimately becoming a PA for the United States Navy.

Although I am lacking in direct patient care, teaching has instilled upon me a great amount of empathy and compassion. I work in a special needs classroom in a rural community of only 5000 people. These kids have shown me what it truly means to be happy. Robert was first diagnosed with the incredibly rare genetic disorder cystinosis as a baby. He lost his mother in a car accident at three and his father is an alcoholic who has been in and out of jail throughout his entire life.  He had a kidney transplant at age twelve and the medications to treat his disorder cause him to emit an odd sulfurous smell. Yet, through all this, he always has a smile on his face and loves every one of his classmates as though they were family. Every day when I get to the class he jokingly shouts “Daddy! Good Morning!” Robert looks up to me as a father figure and knows I truly care about him. I am so proud that these kids look up to me with such admiration. Robert is not just a “student” to me.  And, when I am a PA, I want my patients to not be “just a patient.”

There have been some setbacks in my life which have been used to learn and grow from. During high school, I made the choice to get my GED rather than to be held back a year. I have always valued education and knew I wanted a college degree.  However, I didn’t quite know what I wanted to do. The only thing I knew was I wanted a profession that helps people in a healthcare setting. I went to school for nursing, but eventually realized that nursing wasn’t enough for what I wanted out of a career. I wanted to be the one prescribing the medications and performing the surgeries. So, I took a few years off due to the inability to pay for school while working fulltime and living on my own. When I eventually went back I did very well at university. However, I had to withdraw from the semester in which I lost both my father and grandmother. It was then that I realized I had to remain strong even in the direst of circumstances. Through all these events, I have since had a steadfast goal of becoming a PA.

Job shadowing a PA in an emergency room setting really helped me to put the qualifications of being a PA into perspective.  During this time, I saw numerous procedures including staples, sutures, intubations, and the insertion of chest tubes. These were all incredible to observe, but what really amazed me was how vital a role my PA played at the hospital.  He has over a decade of experience in orthopedics and the doctors frequently ask for his expertise in performing unusual reductions. The doctors trust his judgment and always agreed with his course of treatment. This PA is compassionate towards all of his patients and often donates money to those in need so that they can afford their medications. He is the epitome of what a PA should be, and has provided me with an unimaginable amount of inspiration. Through this experience, I was able to make certain that being a PA is exactly what I want to do with my life.

Over the past few years, my entire being has been driven to complete what is required to get into PA school. I have retaken several prerequisite courses to help me refresh for PA school.  I have thoroughly enjoyed every Saturday I spent job shadowing a PA. I plan to continue with even more shadowing so that I can gain as much knowledge as I can about medicine and the PA profession.  I want to be a PA to help my community and to serve my country.

I don't know. It just doesn't feel very good. I mean it's only 800 words that determine my future.

2nd Draft pretty much only fixing little nit picky things here and there. The only thing I'm really stuck on is that conclusion. I want to somehow tie my desire to be a PA in the Navy into my conclusion but that last sentence just seems out of place and staged.

Archived