Don't do this new grads!

Thought I would share something I overheard that made my jaw drop. 

- A couple days a week I work at an outpatient surgical center. I overheard a general surgeon speaking to an administrator regarding him hiring a PA. He was asking if the surgical center would hire her, as a SURGICAL TECH!!!! His reasoning was that she was a new grad and he wanted her to be comfortable in the OR and learn all of the instruments before bringing her on as a PA. Luckily the administrator pretty much explained to him that it is not usual practice and that it was his responsibility to both hire her and train her. Unfortunately, he wasn’t convinced. I wish I knew who this gal was so I can tell her to run now, and by no means accept anything other than the role you have just worked to achieve and be nationally certified to do. 

Don’t do it!!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, robins53 said:

Hello, I’m a new grad that was recently offered a contract to work in EM. Would you take a job that does not offer any monies or reimbursement for obtaining licenses, DEA or life certification courses? They do provide CME. 

It is pretty typical for organizations to provide reimbursement for certifications, state licensing, DEA and CME. Unless you are getting a huge base salary where you don't mind forking over thousands to upkeep your credentialing then I would keep looking. You should be able to find a EM job that provides everything you are looking for. I bet they are probably reimbursing the physicians. 

1 hour ago, jaredlj3 said:

It is pretty typical for organizations to provide reimbursement for certifications, state licensing, DEA and CME. Unless you are getting a huge base salary where you don't mind forking over thousands to upkeep your credentialing then I would keep looking. You should be able to find a EM job that provides everything you are looking for. I bet they are probably reimbursing the physicians. 

They are offering 1/2 rate pay of $27.50/hr for first 90 days due to it being a fellowship . After 90 days will get full rate of $55/hr salaried at guaranteed 130 hours every 4 weeks totaling $92,950/yr. After 1 year pay increase to $60/hr with same salaried hours totaling $101,400/yr. Will get a bonus after 90 days and have to commit for 2 years. 

pto included of 130 hours/yr

Long term sick 40 hours/yr

malpractice insurance with tail

health and dental insurance 

• 5 months later...

Hi all! I was offered a job that is part urgent care and part family medicine. I would see only level 1 and 2 patients in urgent care and would work only weekdays, no weekends, holidays or nights. 

Just curious what you all think of this as a first job and what questions I should ask to make sure I avoid any red flags. Also I would love some examples of level 1 and 2 chief complaints I would see and what level 3+ would be?

Thanks!