2015-2016 Stony Brook University Application Thread

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah! Congrats to those who have interviewed and those accepted! I got the email verification for my supplemental July 1st (this was the first school I submitted to) but never heard from admissions since. I am confident that I am a competative applicant because I have interviews at several other schools, but no word from this great program! :-( This process is nerve wracking. We dedicate so much for a chance to be educated and trained as PAs! It's exciting and I am happy for this journey (very happy), but at times it is tough too! I would love a chance to interview at this school! Anyway! thanks for reading my rant. And all the best to you other hardworking, overachieving, passionate future PAs :-)

I remember them saying if you get accepted or rejected, you'll hear in a week. And those that don't hear anything, we are assumed to be on waitlist. So if I don't hear anything for this week, does that mean I'm on the waitlist?  And does anyone know if they tell us where we are on the waitlist? 

This may be very annoying but does anyone have any interviewing tips? I seem to be getting interviews but cannot get feedback from the schools on why I'm not getting accepted. Any help would be appreciated!!!!  Thank you!!

I remember being annoyed by people suggesting that I just "be myself," but that's really the best advice you can get. You're already someone they're interested in if they're allotting the time and resources to interview you. Understand that the person you're interviewing with is just another human being (albeit one who might be in the profession you also want to be in). You wouldn't be nervous speaking with the physicians and PAs/NPs you work with, so take a breath and stop psyching yourself out. Easier said than done, but you've been in more stressful situations before, guaranteed. Be genuine, be yourself, and show them the type of clinician you'll be.

Practically, I found doing practice interviews with friends/coworkers was super helpful, if only to become acquainted with how to answer interview questions (i.e. how to produce coherent, logical, thoughtful answers on the spot).

So of the 2400 applications, 150 students are offered interviews and only 44 are selected. If you haven't applied yet, don't waste the money for CASPA plus the $75 for the supplemental because Stony won't even look at your applications after November.  I wish people who truly wanted to practice medicine didn't have to pay such a heavy price for wanting to even apply. I also wish schools weren't such a scam. 

Archived