2015-2016 Augsburg College Application Thread

Katmetzger listed the process perfectly. You will get an email about 5 days before your scheduled phone interview. If accepted that month, they will call you with the news. Don't start to worry if you don't get an October interview! I was a November candidate and many of my classmates were December and even waitlisters who found out in the spring. Also, the interview is very laid back and I thought enjoyable. Don't be nervous, but be prepared to answer some questions to paint a picture of who you are and why you are pursuing PA.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to Midwestbound and prePA3. Waiting is the hardest part for me. I just worry about how competitive I am in general.

I graduated Cum Laude (GPA about 3.6) from St. Thomas with a degree in Biology (BS). I did a few leadership opportunities in college, including President of my Quiz Bowl team and Relay for Life. Since then, I've been working on patient care hours and experiences. I worked as a Medical Assistant (MA) intern for a pediatric and urgent care clinic where I learned a lot of hands-on diagnostic procedures with patients. I now work as a PCA for people with physical and/or behavioral disabilities. I even acted as the Lead PCA for one of my clients who was a quadriplegic wherein I would train incoming PCAs on his comprehensive nursing cares, managed the schedules of each PCA on our team, organized his medical supply inventory, and took the initiative to write up his Care Plan. I recently took on another job as an MA for an internal medicine clinic, a new demographic to work with while I study for my CNA license. This past summer I did a research internship at Gillette Children's Hospital for the Pain & Comfort department, where I worked with cerebral palsy and Rett syndrome patients in using a pain interview tool to help them articulate their chronic pain experiences; I co-wrote a research paper with my mentor on the benefits of this process. 

To date, I have a total of about 3,700 direct patient care hours and counting. 

I've been doing so much to stand out as much as possible, not just to Augsburg but to other PA schools. Then I wait for something to happen and I worry that all of these efforts are not enough to get in. I don't know if my record is competitive or not, but I'm still trying and I want to show schools that I'm good enough. Just wish they could see it.

From what I have seen on other forums, posts, and heard from speaking with current Augsburg PA students at my job, they typically alert applicants at the "end of September" and that telephone interviews will proceed to begin filling seats up through the months of October, November, and January. There is NO rolling admission for Augsburg as was stated during their info session! 

Here is what I have written down as notes from their info session I attended: 

There are major points of the application process broken down into this timeline: 

1) Aug 1st: finalize file and start reviewing for those applications that are ready 

2) October: Interview and begin offering seats, non-selected students are "rolled" to their "still-building" pool 

3) November: same process

4) January: offer final seats

5) February (first week of): all applicants are given final status of acceptance or rejection

For those lucky to receive a telephone interview, they typically last 30 minutes in which the candidate is invited to interview on campus. 

Hope that helps!! Best of luck to everyone~~ 

Hey guys! Good luck on your apps. I know the anticipation is the worst part.  The majority of what was said above it true, except points 4/5- I was in the first round of interviews and was eventually waitlisted. They ended up accepting enough people during the first and second rounds that they actually didn't even do the January session with our class (I'm a current first year). If you end up getting waitlisted they won't answer where you are on the list and there is no "cut off" date like in medical school where everyone has to decide by a specific date, so you're kind of left in the dark. I believe I was the last person to squeak into our current class, and I wasn't accepted until the end of March.

Moral of the story- I know the process is horrible and stressful but don't give up hope if you don't get in right away! 

Thanks to Midwestbound and prePA3. Waiting is the hardest part for me. I just worry about how competitive I am in general.

I graduated Cum Laude (GPA about 3.6) from St. Thomas with a degree in Biology (BS). I did a few leadership opportunities in college, including President of my Quiz Bowl team and Relay for Life. Since then, I've been working on patient care hours and experiences. I worked as a Medical Assistant (MA) intern for a pediatric and urgent care clinic where I learned a lot of hands-on diagnostic procedures with patients. I now work as a PCA for people with physical and/or behavioral disabilities. I even acted as the Lead PCA for one of my clients who was a quadriplegic wherein I would train incoming PCAs on his comprehensive nursing cares, managed the schedules of each PCA on our team, organized his medical supply inventory, and took the initiative to write up his Care Plan. I recently took on another job as an MA for an internal medicine clinic, a new demographic to work with while I study for my CNA license. This past summer I did a research internship at Gillette Children's Hospital for the Pain & Comfort department, where I worked with cerebral palsy and Rett syndrome patients in using a pain interview tool to help them articulate their chronic pain experiences; I co-wrote a research paper with my mentor on the benefits of this process.

To date, I have a total of about 3,700 direct patient care hours and counting.

I've been doing so much to stand out as much as possible, not just to Augsburg but to other PA schools. Then I wait for something to happen and I worry that all of these efforts are not enough to get in. I don't know if my record is competitive or not, but I'm still trying and I want to show schools that I'm good enough. Just wish they could see it.

Your application sounds strong. The biggest hurdle for anyone in your situation is there are far more applicants than spots available. Some schools don't even open all applications because they simply don't have time. Based on your stats I would assume you will get interviews. Don't get discouraged if you get rejections. I had more rejections than interviews. Also, plenty of people reapply and are often more successful the second time around.

Thank you Midwestbound for your encouragement, especially since you're a current Augsburg student. Best of luck to you in school! Is there a reason why they do phone interviews, or do they follow up with campus interviews as well?

I'm not really sure why they do phone. It is a system they have found successful and have stuck with it. It did make me nervous about my potential classmates, but everyone is amazing! They invite you for an info session following your interview, but it has no impact on your admissions! I didn't go to the info session and was accepted two weeks after my interview. You can also arrange a visiting time that works best with your schedule if the info session does not. You will also get a list of current student emails to contact if you wish.

• 2 weeks later...

May,

I think it went pretty well. My interviewer was very informative and friendly. I myself am not a fan of phone interviews, but I think it went alright. I don't like not being able to read expressions and I felt like there were quite a few pauses on both ends so we weren't talking over each other because obviously you cannot pick up on body language.haha I would just say relax and be yourself:)

I have an interview! I felt like I was already written off, now I am nervous. Anyone know how long after the interviews in October they offer seats?

What made you think you were already written off? My interviewer was really nice, but it is really hard to read people over the phone. I saw a timeline somewhere on the forums.

prePA3, on 18 Sept 2015 - 07:47 AM, said:snapback.png

From what I have seen on other forums, posts, and heard from speaking with current Augsburg PA students at my job, they typically alert applicants at the "end of September" and that telephone interviews will proceed to begin filling seats up through the months of October, November, and January. There is NO rolling admission for Augsburg as was stated during their info session! 

Here is what I have written down as notes from their info session I attended: 

There are major points of the application process broken down into this timeline: 

1) Aug 1st: finalize file and start reviewing for those applications that are ready 

2) October: Interview and begin offering seats, non-selected students are "rolled" to their "still-building" pool 

3) November: same process

4) January: offer final seats

5) February (first week of): all applicants are given final status of acceptance or rejection

For those lucky to receive a telephone interview, they typically last 30 minutes in which the candidate is invited to interview on campus. 

Hope that helps!! Best of luck to everyone~~

eeb,

I am sure you will do great! I think the main point is to be yourself and show your personality.

Kojo, 

I was planning on business casual (black pants and a nice top) because I will be coming right from work and that is what I usually wear. I was not planning to wear my suit to this one, but I am not sure what is typical. 

Archived