New Texas PA School

Perhaps the moderators could add this school to the Texas physician assistant schools. The University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio is taking applications now for a brand new PA program and, according to the website, will matriculate their first class of 30 students in August. This is a 28 month program with tuition of about $43,000/yr. This program will be located in the osteopathic medicine school which is scheduled to start in 2016, so both programs will be new. Aside from the U.S. Army program, this means Texas will now have two private programs and six public programs. Texas will also have two DO schools. Please note that UIW appears to discriminate in favor of Hispanic students.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Read the Web site. Attracting and graduating Hispanics is part of their mission. 53% of their students are Hispanic. 19% are international. Do the math. They don't, of course, claim to discriminate against whites. No one is going to say that, and they do want a mix that includes whites so they can demonstrate diversity, BUT, the proportion of Hispanics way exceeds the population of the area.

Guest Paula

They will be Associado Medico's !  Who are the international students, I wonder?  maybe FMGs who can't match to a residency or pass the USMLE's? 

Read the Web site. Attracting and graduating Hispanics is part of their mission. 53% of their students are Hispanic. 19% are international. Do the math. They don't, of course, claim to discriminate against whites. No one is going to say that, and they do want a mix that includes whites so they can demonstrate diversity, BUT, the proportion of Hispanics way exceeds the population of the area.

I used to live in San Antonio, as I attended the Interservice Physician Assistant Program there.  In fact, I lived very close to UIW, and passed it every day on my way to my own program (they're probably less than a mile apart, for what it's worth).  

Anyway, the population of San Antonio is (and always has been) largely Hispanic, and the local culture reflects it.  Many PA programs favor local applicants and have a mission to support underserved communities in their own backyard - this is no different.  Their demographic makeup is simply reflective of the community of which they are a part - I don't really see a problem with this.  

Incidentally, the program at UT Pan American in the Rio Grande Valley, a relatively poor, rural area of South Texas with an even larger Hispanic population, likely has similar demographics.  This shouldn't be that surprising when you consider that, you know, Texas used to BE Mexico.

• Like 1

Many PA programs favor local applicants and have a mission to support underserved communities in their own backyard - this is no different. Their demographic makeup is simply reflective of the community of which they are a part - I don't really see a problem with this.

Interesting how all the hackles came up. I didn't say it was a problem.

Interesting how all the hackles came up. I didn't say it was a problem.

Dont play word games. You alleged discrimination against white applicants. As far as I know I will be the only African American in a class of 98. Don't tell me about discrimination. I don't support discrimination of any type. I do however support diversity. From my understanding, it is not often that qualified students of color end up applying. When they do, I think they deserve an equal opportunity. It is nice to see providers that look like you and have some of the same world experience every once in awhile.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

It is nice to see providers that look like you and have some of the same world experience every once in awhile.

Do you mean people who look like Americans and have the same world experience as average Americans? And what I said was "they appear to discriminate in favor of Hispanics" as a matter of information. I didn't say it was a problem and I didn't whine about it. I don't practice the politics of victimhood.

Do you mean people who look like Americans and have the same world experience as average Americans? And what I said was "they appear to discriminate in favor of Hispanics" as a matter of information. I didn't say it was a problem and I didn't whine about it. I don't practice the politics of victimhood.

Sorry to say that if you think ALL Americans look the same and experience the world in the same way then you are either living under a rock or have been in denial for a long long time. I bow out of this discussion. Thanks for bringing light to the new program in Texas. That is all.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2013 NCCPA stats (based on respondents): 85.6% white, 6.4% Hispanics, 4.1% AA, 5.2% Asian PAs 

I don't see it as a big deal if some PA leaders decide to give under represented races a chance to enter such a great profession and make their pool of applicants minorities. If the roles were reversed, you (not targeted to OP) would feel the same.

I've been to AAPA and my state chapter's conferences, the race gap is VIVID.

• Upvote 3

• Administrator

"Discriminate" has become a bad word, but it's really not.  Every clinician discriminates every time they update a differential diagnosis, since the process of deciding between two things is discrimination.

Illegal discrimination, on the other hand, is a completely different animal, such as where we treat people differently in inappropriate ways based on protected class status.  No one in this thread has alleged any illegal discrimination.

• Upvote 3

"Discriminate" has become a bad word, but it's really not. Every clinician discriminates every time they update a differential diagnosis, since the process of deciding between two things is discrimination.

Illegal discrimination, on the other hand, is a completely different animal, such as where we treat people differently in inappropriate ways based on protected class status. No one in this thread has alleged any illegal discrimination.

Thanks for setting that straight.

On a different but still related topic, I do find it fascinating that it's taken this long to introduce another PA program in Texas.  I don't know about the other existing programs in Texas, but the program I went to (UNT) expanded their class sizes considerably after I graduated as a response to increased demand.  I have much less of a problem with a new program in Texas than someplace like Philly that's way too choked with medical and PA students

Also, I believe only Banuchi has the ability to create a new forum for a program- I don't seem to have that ability on my end

On a different but still related topic, I do find it fascinating that it's taken this long to introduce another PA program in Texas. I don't know about the other existing programs in Texas, but the program I went to (UNT) expanded their class sizes considerably after I graduated as a response to increased demand. I have much less of a problem with a new program in Texas than someplace like Philly that's way too choked with medical and PA students

Also, I believe only Banuchi has the ability to create a new forum for a program- I don't seem to have that ability on my end

A number of the other Texas programs have also expanded their class sizes over the years. I would like to see a program in East Texas, perhaps UT Tyler, where there is already a nursing school and a pharmacy school, or the UT Health Science Center in Tyler.

I wrote something out, but then edited to delete because I don't feel like participating in this thread anymore. Following SoCalPA's lead!

Good! Because the purpose of the thread was to inform interested pre-PAs about a new Texas program that they might want to apply to. Two of you wanted to hi-jack it and turn it into a race issue. Glad you have decided to bow out.