Class of 2018 Applicants

Guest briellecohen

Hey guys! So I just interviewed last week and I'm extremely anxious about the writing portion. I know they said there's no "right or wrong" answer, but I'm still rather worried that my answer was not appropriate for what they were looking for. 

Anyone have any input on how much the writing weighs and maybe a little more of what they are looking for? I'm also horrible at writing in timed conditions..

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone! I interviewed on November 12th and got an acceptance call an hour after I left.  Very excited!  I was hoping some current students could shed some light on how the program is going, pros and cons, and why to pick NSU over another school.  Any advice is greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

I interviewed November 20th and I just got the call for acceptance today!

I was initially placed on the accept/hold list. And I had to email Ms. Dickman to find out that I was on this list. I emailed her on Monday November 30th. And she said I was on this list and the committee meets up every Thursday to discuss their decisions. She then called me today to say I'm in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I'm a Florida resident and have applied.. I have not yet heard anything from Nova! Once you submitted your caspa, and then your supplemental material.. Did you receive any other email or information prior to an interview invitation? Also.. Will there be more interviews to come? Keeping my hopes up :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Submitted CASPA on 11/13. CASPA verified 12/3. Supplemental complete 12/8. Invited for interview via email on 12/15. I will be interviewing 2/8.

• 3 weeks later...

What are all of your guys' stats? I'm applying in the 2016 cycle next year to begin in 2017. Here are my stats, I'm really hoping to get in.

At time of application submittal, which will be approximately August 1st, 2016, my stats will be:

Undergrad Ed School: University of California, Los Angeles, UCLA

Major: Physics B.S.
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.5
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.41
Post Bachelor GPA: 4.0

Pre-Req GPA: 4.0 (I will have all required, recommended, and more. At time of supplemental application submittal I will be enrolled in biochemistry and clinical pathophysiology)

Age at application time : 23-24

GRE: ~72nd percentile across the board 

Direct Patient Care : Phlebotomist in hospital 720 hours

Extracurricular/Research Activities:

US Department of Energy, Fermilab summer intern (high energy particle physics lab)

Volunteer ESL instructor

UCLA new student freshmen/transfer counselor volunteer

Private tutor in math and physics

Dance classes and performances

Schools Applied: Northern Arizona University, A.T. Still University, Nova Southeastern University (Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Fort Myers)

Top Choices: Northern Arizona University, Nova Southeastern University (Fort Lauderdale)
Application Submitted Date: ~August 1st, 2016

Schools Received Application Date: 

Interview Invites: 

Denied: 

Withdrew Application: 

Waitlisted: 

Accepted: 

Attempts:

-I won't be starting my full time phlebotomy work until mid March 2016

-I'll be finishing human anatomy physiology 1 and microbiology in mid May 2016

-I'll be finishing human anatomy physiology 2 and genetics mid July 2016

I need to choose an optimal time to submit my application next year, balancing turning it in early since its rolling admissions vs. turning it in later with more of the pre-reqs actually completed on transcripts with "A" next to them and increased completed health care hours rather than projected.

I'm thinking optimal might be as soon as I complete the last 2 pre-reqs in mid0July and have the grades available, which would be approximately August 1st. That's still kinda late though.

At least then if I have to apply again in 2016 I'll have Biochemistry and Clinical Pathophysiology completed and enrolled in OChem 2 and a Human Pathophysiology class, more health care hours, and I can do the CASPA application really quickly and turn it in as soon as it opens in April and be first in line hahaha.

On a side note,

I wanna work for a plastic surgeon/cosmetic dermatologist and make bank for a few years, pay off all debts, and then live comfortably working part time and pursue other life hobbies. :D

Working 20 hours per week instead of 40 hours per week over the course of 35 years during your career gives you an extra (1040hrs/year)(35years) = 36400 hours = 4.2 years of free time over the course of 35 years of work from, say, 28-63.

If you know about the book Outliers where the author talks about it taking 10000 hours of effective practice to reach the top skill level in a field, discipline, art, skill, or whatever, thats enough time to be a world-class master of 3 things you wouldn't have otherwise or an EXTREME jack of all trades ;p

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived