Soon to be PA grad- Family Med. salary?

Hi everyone,

My name is Mary and I'll be graduating from a Texas PA program this upcoming August. I have a job interview at a private family medicine clinic tomorrow and would love to have some advice.

I've looked at resources in preparing for my interview by looking at potential questions from the AAPA and TAPA. As an almost new graduate I want to be realistic if the conversation of compensation comes up. Obviously I would wait for the interviewer to bring up the topic but does anyone know what would be an appropriate baseline salary for me to ask for as a new graduate in Texas in family medicine?

Some things he mentioned on the phone about his practice: there are currently 4 docs (1 of which is a doc of chirop) and one PA. Their practice has been growing at about 17% each year and they are looking to eventually expand to 7 docs. They have a great pt population (no medicaid), the hours are very flexible, I would be expected to work 36 hrs/wk with 4 hr of admin time, potential for bonus by working extra hours.

The AAPA 2013 salary reports a PA graduate with less than one year of experience is 78-80K.

1. This salary report is two years old (but there is not an updated one yet) so the avg might have gone up???

2. It is in the Houston area in Magnolia (near The Woodlands) which is very suburban.

My little sister is an ER nurse who works night shifts and says she makes probably a little under 70k/yr so I know I'm worth more than that.

I don't want to low-ball myself but I also understand that as a new graduate I will need a huge learning curve the first year.

Any advice on this and job interviewing in general would be much appreciated!!

Mary

Hi everyone,

My name is Mary and I'll be graduating from a Texas PA program this upcoming August. I have a job interview at a private family medicine clinic tomorrow and would love to have some advice.

I've looked at resources in preparing for my interview by looking at potential questions from the AAPA and TAPA. As an almost new graduate I want to be realistic if the conversation of compensation comes up. Obviously I would wait for the interviewer to bring up the topic but does anyone know what would be an appropriate baseline salary for me to ask for as a new graduate in Texas in family medicine?

Some things he mentioned on the phone about his practice: there are currently 4 docs (1 of which is a doc of chirop) and one PA. Their practice has been growing at about 17% each year and they are looking to eventually expand to 7 docs. They have a great pt population (no medicaid), the hours are very flexible, I would be expected to work 36 hrs/wk with 4 hr of admin time, potential for bonus by working extra hours.

The AAPA 2013 salary reports a PA graduate with less than one year of experience is 78-80K.

1. This salary report is two years old (but there is not an updated one yet) so the avg might have gone up???

2. It is in the Houston area in Magnolia (near The Woodlands) which is very suburban.

My little sister is an ER nurse who works night shifts and says she makes probably a little under 70k/yr so I know I'm worth more than that.

I don't want to low-ball myself but I also understand that as a new graduate I will need a huge learning curve the first year.

Any advice on this and job interviewing in general would be much appreciated!!

Mary

Don't be so sure that as a new grad PA that you'll make more than a seasoned RN. My base salary as a PA is exactly what a 40hr work week was when I worked as an RN.....except now I am salaried. If I worked as an RN as many hours per week as I work as a PA (with overtime and bonuses), I'd be making nearly double. I can't tell you how many of my nurse colleagues became APRNs but went back to floor nursing because the $$$ and flexibility and benefits were better. So, no, you do not want to under value yourself, but experience matters.

Guest Paula

Starting salary at my facility regardless of experience is guaranteed at $101,000, for two years, then transferred to production.   (Family practice, general internal medicine)

Do no undervalue yourself and you should expect better than a seasoned RN salary.  If they ask you what salary you want don't quote the AAPA salary one, it is way too old. 

Starting salary at my facility regardless of experience is guaranteed at $101,000, for two years, then transferred to production.   (Family practice, general internal medicine)

Do no undervalue yourself and you should expect better than a seasoned RN salary.  If they ask you what salary you want don't quote the AAPA salary one, it is way too old. 

this is rural though, right? most new grads in FP should not expect 100k to start...

Archived