Any Progress at 2015 Conference?

A candidate must have accumulated at least three distinct years of experience
in the past five years in at least two of the following major areas of
professional involvement. This experience requirement will be waived for
currently sitting AAPA board members who choose to run for a subsequent
term of office.
i.
An AAPA or constituent organization officer, board member, committee, council, commission, work group, task force chair.
ii.
A delegate or alternate to the AAPA House of Delegates.
iii.
A board member, trustee, or committee chair of the PA Foundation, Society for the Preservation of Physician Assistant History, American Academy of Physician Assistants Political Action Committee, Physician Assistant Education Association or National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants.
iv.
AAPA board appointee.

sorry didn't paste well - but striking this section is EXCELLENT - stops the nepotisim/favoritism that does not benefit anyone except the inner circle....

this is the section on name

Physician Associate or Physician Assistant as the Title of the PA Profession

-B-10 Resolved

Amend policy HP-3100.1.1 as follows:

The AAPA recognizes that “physician assistant” OR “PHYSICIAN ASSOCIATE” MAY BE USED

as the official title for the PA profession.

Rationale/Justification

AAPA has already set the precedent with the publication: “America Necesita Asociados

Medicos”. The

translation of Asociado Medico is literally: Associate Physician. Our Spanish-speaking colleagues have got it right and AAPA has endorsed that title.

A growing number of PAs wish to call themselves Physician Associate or just PA, and we need the AAPA to lead us into the 21stcentury. “Assistant” does not adequately describe our function in medicine. We practice autonomously, with the collaboration and assistance of a Physician, when necessary. If we are in the office, without a physician, we are assisting no one! WE ARE THE PROVIDER, not the Medical Assistant. The word “assistant” is derogatory and implies subservience. Ultimately, the term “assistant” is confusing to patients, who may believe they are being treated by an individual with training that is insufficient, as the individual is only qualified to “assist.”AAPA has begun the process of focusing on the title “PA” instead changing

the Assistant name. This new campaign is an acknowledgement of the concept that we do not want to be associated

At its inception, our profession was called the Physician Associate. It is possible that in 30 years, the profession will be called Physician Associate. Physician Assistant can be a historical name for the Physician Assistant History Society (which would then be called the Physician Associate History Society).

The FAPA delegation would like to be a force for change, but using these three names for the same profession for the next 20 years, is a good compromise for all involved, even the traditionalists. Every State can slowly adopt as desired by the PAs within that State.

To clarify, this resolution will not impact the current title of our organization: American Academy of Physician Assistants. A change in the organizational title of AAPA would require an Articles of Incorporation change that would need to be approved by the Board of Directors.

and for the education. doctorate discussion....

Clinical Doctorate for PAs

-B-12 Resolved

AAPA supports that PA programs that require over 120 credit hours should confer a clinical doctorate as the degree awarded.

Rationale/Justification

The current masters-level PA program requires 120 credit hours to fulfill completion of the standard curriculum. Other masters level medical degree programs typically require approximately 30-50 credits to qualify for this degree. The PA profession is the only graduate medical profession that does not award a doctorate degree for the high number of credit hours it demands of its students.

Other medical professions vary in the amount of credit hours required to obtain a clinical doctorate. A Doctor of Podiatry program requires approximately 90 credit hours. A Doctor of Physical Therapy also requires approximately 90 credit hours. The Doctor of Pharmacy

(PharmD) curriculum requires in the range of 130-150 credits. The Doctor of Nurse Practitioner requires between 30-50 credits.

The purpose of this resolution is to support the granting of a clinical doctorate to future PA students. A PA clinical doctoral program should not cost more to confer as the requirement for the doctorate can be met with current ARC-PA standards.

Reference:

1. “A PA Doctorate Discussion” by Gregory Davenport, 2014

Okay, I am confused here. I just heard from someone who attended who said that these proposals were made but quickly crushed by the BOD without discussion. Really? Who was there?

That was a majority decision of the delegates, not the BOD

I'm sorry, I meant HOD but BOD came out.  I'm now a member. I want to take names and throw the bums out.  I will not tolerate the old way of thinking anymore.  We need to retake our AAPA.

Thanks Paula. I started that other discussion because I had a feeling it was too good to be true.

I don't think the doctorate one passed either. I think those were all just proposed resoluations...judging by the AAPA's comments about some of them

https://www.aapa.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=2147485553

Here's the section on title

2015-B-10-FL

Type Policy

Summary Amends policy to reflect physician assistant or “physician associate”

as the official title for the PA profession.

AAPA Considerations  Three titles (physician assistant, PA and physician associate) will

be confusing for patients, payers and the market.

 Three titles will complicate AAPA’s legislative and regulatory

efforts on behalf of profession.

 Infringes on title protection for “physician assistant”, which exists

in 44 states. Title “physician associate” would not describe PA

role in a way that is legal in these states. Title protection is

increasingly important as new professions are being created in

certain states (e.g. MO/Assistant Physician).

 AAPA is already branding PA and moving to use PA after first

reference in all instances except where needed for laws and

regulations.

 If the title physician associate is adopted in new laws or

regulations, it might prevent PAs from being reimbursed by

Medicare/Medicaid or private payers where that is not a provider

definition eligible for reimbursement.

A proposed change to the profession’s title would require revision

of the Social Security Act in order to preserve eligibility for

Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement.

Had my hopes up...

Sent from my S5 Active...Like you care...

"A proposed change to the profession's title would require revision of the Social security Act..." 

So what's the hold up AAPA? Start working on it.....Oh, never mind, you're right, this would require you to work in the best interest of PA's and not your own self motivated goals. And we certainly wouldn't want to would we?   

Guest Paula

It looks like we have to start at the Federal level to change SS Act as well as with CMS.  We need to get the designation of LIP (Licensed Independent Provider) at the Federal level then the other chips will fall.  I agree with JMJ....we need to take back AAPA and I do believe we elected a few progressive people.  The way to change is to join the profession and vote for the PAs you want to be in our leadership on a national level.. 

And again, as I have been saying all along......state chapters are the ones who will change our licensing laws and we are to be working at that level too.  State laws are what hold us back too.  The Model State Legislation is a start for us to use as a template for what our state laws should or could look like. 

Paula, i agree with you statement,

My understanding is that the aapa represent PA's at the natiomal level. State chapters represet us at the state level. If this is correct the aapa SHOULD be working on LIP, the title "associate" etc.... they dont seem to take intrest in this. Concurrently, state chapters should be working in our best interests as well.

I'm asking because I do not know....Are any members of the HOD students, recent grads or at the beginning of their careers?

Yes, the largest caucus in the HOD is actually the student delegates.  With the ever expanding student base, they are becoming more and more relevant in the HOD deliberations.

jmj11, I would agree that everyone who has been standing on the sidelines for the past several years because of past missteps on the part of the AAPA would be well served to step back in at this point.  Look at the position statements of the new President-Elect, and others (Including Dave getting elected to the BOD) and you will see some significant evolution from past leadership.  I would encourage everyone, both students and experienced PAs to consider making a five year commitment of involvement  with the AAPA going forward.  That time frame recognizes that the legislative environment is less than stellar right now with an election year looming to get things done on the national level; however,  the advocacy team is still working diligently in raising awareness of PA issues with congress, including hosting a leadership summit in March in DC to connect PAs with their district legislators.

Change is happening, it is up to all of us to help determine the direction it will take.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being goverened by your inferiors." - Plato

Guest Paula

I'm not a sociologist and I find group behavior sometimes as perplexing. I don't understand the politics of state chapters either.  I deleted the rest of this post as I have told my stories before and I sounded like I was whining.

I'm just learning the politics of state chapters.  I think there is a mentality that we are to be lead around by a bullring in the nose by the board of medicine and only too happy to keep the bulls happy. I moo to a different drummer, kind of like a clanging cymbal and I sure hope I don't succumb to the prevailing fear. Board meetings coming up in a week or so and in July. 

I admit I am a bit naive about it all.  Maybe that is good?????

Biggest problem with most state chapters is lack of support from constituent PAs. How do you go negotiate with a legislator when 80% of the people in your profession in the state do not even care enough to join the state chapter? 

PAs are too fat and happy. Sadly it will take a crisis to get most people to wake up and get involved. 

State medical societies are scared, facing the same low membership issue. They often get the mindset that if they attack "midlevels" they will be seen as champions for their profession and energize their base.

The AMA has the most blatant audacity in the country. They file amicus briefs and are recognized by the courts as the voice of the nation's physicians, but 90% of physicians are not members. WTF?

Guest Paula

Biggest problem with most state chapters is lack of support from constituent PAs. How do you go negotiate with a legislator when 80% of the people in your profession in the state do not even care enough to join the state chapter? 

PAs are too fat and happy. Sadly it will take a crisis to get most people to wake up and get involved. 

State medical societies are scared, facing the same low membership issue. They often get the mindset that if they attack "midlevels" they will be seen as champions for their profession and energize their base.

The AMA has the most blatant audacity in the country. They file amicus briefs and are recognized by the courts as the voice of the nation's physicians, but 90% of physicians are not members. WTF?

I agree.  My region is huge and only 44 PAs are members of the state chapter in my area.  I was shocked to see such little interest. I have 4 constituents who want change and we all work for the same group. 

Archived