2015-2016 Application Cycle

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a current student of the program in didactic year. Happy to answer any questions about the program you may have.

Thanks so much! I am sure I will have a bunch of questions as it gets closer.  However, are you enjoying the program?  How is the pace?  Which campus are you on? Any advice?

The program is extremely intense, like any other PA program I'm sure. For example, this week we have 5 exams and 2 quizzes. You don't have enough time to read everything and study everything in the fullest, but you have just enough time to learn it. All the hard work aside, it's a great program. The faculty are wonderful. They really care about the students and they are all very qualified. For example, one of our instructors has been practicing for nearly 30 years and had a perfect score on his last PANRE (PA re-certification exam)...that's impressive. I love the program. It's nice to finally be here.

I chose to attend Pocatello. I like the small town and university feel. It's a great place. More faculty reside in Pocatello, so there are fewer "distance" lectures. You can also take advantage of the campus amenities. There are some in Meridian and Caldwell as well (they just got a brand-spankin' new anatomy cadaver lab). Overall, all the students (regardless the campus location) are happy with where they are! Caldwell has a blast and benefit from small-class-comradery. :)

Advice .... if you're in the interview process, relax! This campus was by far my least-stressful and most enjoyable interview. Take time to enjoy the year before you start PA school.  

Hi,

If you have some time, I have a few questions for you. Any idea of how many of the Meridian campus courses are distance courses? Are any of the Pocatello courses done as distance courses? Also I know that ISU has a Spanish for Health Professions Certificate, is this available at all campuses? Are the international mission trips, and rotation options for students at all campuses? At the Pocatello and Meridian campuses do you know if the clinical locations are all in the area. I know that Boise/Meridian area is a lot bigger so I'd guess that all clinical sites are going to be in the Treasure Valley, but Pocatello is kinda small so any idea how close/far clinical sites are? If you don't mind me asking, are you from Idaho? Or were you familiar with the Pocatello are before picking that location?

Great questions!

Distance learning. Currently all courses are coordinated and take place simultaneously on all 3 campuses. That means we are all receiving the same lecture from the same professor at the same time. I would say about 65% of the lectures take place in Pocatello and are therefore broadcast live to Caldwell and Meridian. The remaining lectures take place at the other campuses and are broadcast. We have a great tech team and lots of awesome technology so that broadcasts are interactive.

Spanish certificate. This is a really great opportunity to a) refine existing Spanish skills for clinical application or b) learn basic medical phrases for clinical use. Note that you won't learn how to speak Spanish fluently. Dr. Tarp, the course instructor, is a certified Spanish medical interpretor and has her Ph. D In thé field. She is extremely qualified and fun! The course can be taken as an audit without credit, as an undergraduate course (pass/fail), or as part of your graduate education with a certificate. It's available at all locations!

Clinical rotations. The program has many clinical sites that they contract with, ranging from Boise, Pocatello, Washington State, Wyoming, Nevada, Utah, and some even futher away! There is a detail process that allows you to request program rotations (and even set up your own if you have a preceptor who has offered to take you on). This process is lottery-esque, it takes into account locations and rotations available for the year and ranking submitted by students. The algorithm spits out the most fair schedule for all 8 rotations for all 72 students.

International opportunities. These are available for all students! There are three opportunities that I am aware of. One is a full rotation and counts for your elective and takes place in Belize. The other two take place during spring breaks and other times during the year and count as leaves of absence. These are typically led by staff and are amazing from what I hear! Great stuff, great opportunities. One of our adjunct faculty is a doctor who has headed up the Belize trip for twenty years! He has amazing stories and insight into international medicine and opportunities for PAs in that respect.

My demographic. I'm from Washington state. Much of our class is composed of out-of-staters. Some as far as the east coast! Some students came directly from work in Japan. We are a diverse bunch. I did my undergrade in Idaho and was familiar with Pocatello. I like that it is close to Salt lake. I have many friends in the area. Cost of living is amazingly affordable.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Ben

Hey Benny,

Thanks for participating in this thread. I would like to know what the outdoors scene is like around Pocatello. I am an avid mountain biker and rock climber and want to make sure the area is a good fit. I know that being close to Salt Lake is definitely a plus but it would be nice to have some stress busters outside my back door during the week!

-JJ

Hey Benny,

Thanks for participating in this thread. I would like to know what the outdoors scene is like around Pocatello. I am an avid mountain biker and rock climber and want to make sure the area is a good fit. I know that being close to Salt Lake is definitely a plus but it would be nice to have some stress busters outside my back door during the week!

-JJ

Well JJ, I have great news for you. The outdoor scene in Pocatello was made in heaven for mountain bikers and rock climbers. Not only are there countless places within 10 minutes of Pocatello for mountain biking AND rock climbing, there are also many really great places within a few hours, such as City of Rocks. This is literally the place to be for those two sports. 

Received my interview invitation on 10/9. So excited! File score of 4.92. I'm a first year applicant and looking forward to meeting the staff and current students at ISU. I'm from Idaho and can second Benny's post that Idaho is fantastic for ALL outdoor activities (in all three locations). I love mountain biking and rock climbing (the black cliffs are just 30 minutes from Meridian) and the City of Rocks is incredible. Idaho has amazing kayaking, skiing, and tons of hot springs. Natural beauty abounds! 

Archived