MEDEX 2015-2016 Application Cycle

Can any current students shed some light on the differences between the Seattle and Spokane programs? I've been to Spokane many times and Seattle a handful of times, I'm just looking for program differences. The supplemental wants to know your first & second choices and why, but since location/climate (I live in Montana where all four seasons make an appearance in the same day) aren't issues for me, I'm wanting to know more of program differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I know, curriculum should be the same for both MCHS sites. The only difference would be location and faculty members.

Check out;

http://depts.washington.edu/medex/pa-program/campus-locations/

Moreover, right out of the MEDEX 2015-2016 Student Handbook pg 2. states the following;

"Training Sites

Didactic: Four MEDEX classroom locations offer decentralized training designed to

meet the needs of the region’s diverse communities. This decentralized model allows

place bound students to remain close to their homes for training and guarantees

deployment of graduates to primary care sites throughout the region.

• The Seattle MEDEX site is designed to train physician assistants to serve

underserved inner-city and rural populations in the WWAMI region.

• The Spokane MEDEX site focuses on the healthcare needs of small towns and rural

communities of the WWAMI region.

• The Anchorage MEDEX site focuses on the healthcare needs of native and remote

• The Tacoma MEDEX site focuses on the healthcare needs of small town and veteran

Clinical: Clinical training takes place throughout the WWAMI region and beyond. The

WWAMI designation refers to the University of Washington School of Medicine service

region of Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana and Idaho."

Current students in Spokane or Seattle class will have a better " boots on the ground" information.

If you have any specific questions, the MEDEX administration office have always been professional and helpful whenever I had concerns.

I hope this helped! :D

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your going to want to simply emphasize your desire to be more urban v. slightly less urban.  Have a reason for which campus you're choosing (i.e. Seattle so you're able to participate in the MEDEX Foot Clinic in Tacoma or Spokane so you're able to...get to Idaho faster?).  As mentioned by the fine gentleman above there are no differences didactically other than lecturers who will be coming from the local community.

Your going to want to simply emphasize your desire to be more urban v. slightly less urban. Have a reason for which campus you're choosing (i.e. Seattle so you're able to participate in the MEDEX Foot Clinic in Tacoma or Spokane so you're able to...get to Idaho faster?). As mentioned by the fine gentleman above there are no differences didactically other than lecturers who will be coming from the local community.

Haha ok the get to Idaho thing cracked me up. Thanks for the input everyone! And good luck to all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a member of Seattle Class 48.  I told MEDEX that Seattle was my first choice because I was interested in providing medical care to people with developmental disabilities, and I was already connected with the service networks in the Seattle area.  I said I was interested in maintaining those connections during school, if possible.  

I don't know the current plans, but Seattle's 48th class was made up of Master's level students.  Our building is literally connected to a major academic teaching hospital, and we draw on that expertise.  One drawback of Seattle is that it costs a lot to live here.  Spokane students get the same financial aid, but pay about half the rent.  The Spokane students love their faculty too, although I've never seen their guest lecturers.  Our Spokane counterparts were a combination of Master's level and Bachelor's level students. 

The rural/urban dichotomy doesn't seem to be important -- there are Spokane students who want to practice urban medicine, and Seattle students who I know will literally head straight for the hills once they graduate.

Feel free to PM me if you have additional questions.

Hi all!  I am new to the forum.  I am a reapplicant to MEDEX.  I have interviewed the last two times I have applied but I can't seem to make it past the interview.  Any interview tips from current students?  My grades are great, I have a ton of patient care experience, the last 7 years in an ICU.  I also have volunteer and shadowing experience.  Just wondering what I can do to impress the interviewers and make it in!!

Anecdotally it seems as if MEDEX has moved away somewhat from the WWAMI region preference.  I know grads and current students from NV, TX, CO etc.

I am from Florida and was accepted. There are others in my class who are not from the WWAMI region. Don't count yourself out.

Hey Everyone! I'm part of Tacoma Class 2 and just wanted to say though I'm not around a lot, I poke my head in here every now and again :) Hoping that Maybe I will have more time during clinical year?! Good Luck on your applications and the long but well worth it wait for interviews! I can help answer any questions especially on the Veteran end of things.

Ps - Hi Again EMSGuy :) See you in a couple Weeks!

kwinters -- We have to be careful about discussing the interview format and structure in excessive detail.  I would recommend taking a careful look at why MEDEX opts for the interview format they use (the other place I interviewed at was very different), and then adjust your responses and behavior accordingly during your interview.

The other piece of advice I would offer is to start talking about why you want to be a PA with friends or coworkers, and keep doing so until the interview.  This will help you to be relaxed and articulate in higher pressure situations.  As said above, if you've been offered two interviews, you are on the right track.  MEDEX likes reapplicants.

Medimike: Will it be over polycom? :-) Not sure what crap I should have together but I won't let you down. I will take any advice I can get! My EMED rotation is in a spot that was previously not so welcoming of the profession. So I hope to change that attitude!

I heard we will not be doing OSCE stuff which makes me wonder what we will be doing.

Kwinters: You have probably heard this before but the best advice I can give is to absolutely be yourself. Get comfortable with talking about the profession and do a little research. Remember that they have asked you to come back twice and that should mean something! If it's an anxiety thing work on it and drink some chamomile tea. It can really help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I know I'm probably on the late side - but I am completing the MEDEX supplemental right now and I'm having a tough time figuring how to interpret the directions for the Personal Statement.  
Are they looking for one personal statement that integrates the four questions? Or four separate narratives for each question? 

Thanks for your help! 

Hi y'all! First off, I must say this is probably the BEST forum and to all the PA students on this thread, much oblige. I am from Houston, but I must say MEDEX is probably my top choice of school. This is my first year applying to MEDEX Program specifically and I'm still waiting on a hopefully interview invitation. I'm not from the WWAMI Region and was wondering what the stats were for out-of-state interview/acceptance. Also, does anyone know when the MEDEX will start sending out interview invitations?

I can only speak for Tacoma, but interviews are generally held in December.  EMSGuy or ADahnke could probably speak to this a bit better than I, I was a T-Town transplant.  Invitations are generally sent out a couple weeks ahead of time.  I honestly think I had about 2 weeks notice.

As mentioned above, historically MEDEX was a strict WWAMI applicant pool, this no longer holds true (anecdotally).  

Hi y'all! First off, I must say this is probably the BEST forum and to all the PA students on this thread, much oblige. I am from Houston, but I must say MEDEX is probably my top choice of school. This is my first year applying to MEDEX Program specifically and I'm still waiting on a hopefully interview invitation. I'm not from the WWAMI Region and was wondering what the stats were for out-of-state interview/acceptance. Also, does anyone know when the MEDEX will start sending out interview invitations?

I don't know the exact stats but four of my classmates in Tacoma class 2 are from out of state and none of them are in the WWAMI region. So don't count yourself out. The hardest part is probably waiting for the interviews to start rolling out. Good luck to you and if you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Still waiting on that beer...if you can leave a puppy in a car you can leave a kid in there. Just saying. Crack the windows real good.

True! Although you can still get a hefty fine/jail time for both in this lovely state. Not sure I could afford that. Broke PA student and all. I haven't forgotten. I have a case of natty ice waiting for you....Just kidding of course. Sounds like you'll be there for transition week so that will be a perfect time.

I can only speak for Tacoma, but interviews are generally held in December.  EMSGuy or ADahnke could probably speak to this a bit better than I, I was a T-Town transplant.  Invitations are generally sent out a couple weeks ahead of time.  I honestly think I had about 2 weeks notice.

As mentioned above, historically MEDEX was a strict WWAMI applicant pool, this no longer holds true (anecdotally).  

(Tacoma class is all I can speak for...I believe the other sites interview earlier than Tacoma) .... Anyhow, I received my Invitation to interview mid November. I interviewed mid December and was accepted to the program just before christmas.

Archived