MEDEX 2015-2016 Application Cycle

Hey everyone! My name is Tenesha, I am a re-applicant and this will be my second year applying! I live in Tacoma and work in Burien and Seattle! I am an EMT at AMR and an ER technician at Highline. I would love to get emails from anyone in the are so we can go over applications and whatnot. I had an interview last year... Hoping for another! The group I interviewed with last year was so amazing, a few of them got in and we still keep in touch. I hope for another close group like that again this year.

I submitted my application to CASPA, I am for sure applying to UC Davis (if it is verified in time) and UW. My concerns are my GRE, my scores were not so great, but I will be retaking I soon! I look forward to getting to know everyone. My email is Teneshamcfadden@yahoo.com

And of course, thank you thank you thank you to all of the other re-applicants who helped me so much last year and to the currently enrolled students who always take the time to help out and offer advice. I am beyond grateful and I can only hope I will have the opportunity to pay it forward just as you have. That's what makes MEDEX so amazing!

Best,

Tenesha

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tenesha -- Getting an interview last year is a sign you are a good candidate for the program.  You've got a leg up, as you understand how the questions work too!  Your intuition to carefully consider ways to grow in preparation for this year's application is spot on.  My understanding is that the UW does not put a lot of weight into the GRE, and mainly requires it to meet the university's overall policy for graduate school.  I'd emphasize the other talents you've gained, and other accomplishments from this year.  Good luck!

Tenesha -- Getting an interview last year is a sign you are a good candidate for the program. You've got a leg up, as you understand how the questions work too! Your intuition to carefully consider ways to grow in preparation for this year's application is spot on. My understanding is that the UW does not put a lot of weight into the GRE, and mainly requires it to meet the university's overall policy for graduate school. I'd emphasize the other talents you've gained, and other accomplishments from this year. Good luck!

Thanks jlumsden! I am very excited for this years round of applications. :) Glad to hear the GRE isn't too big of a deal, I will still retake it, but I won't stress about it. What you said about me having a leg up because I have already interviewed reminds me... I am here if anyone has any questions! Meeting in groups truly is the best, so is helping one another out. I never felt like I was competing against the people in my group (there were 8 of us who emailed back and forth and met for dinner the night before). I felt like we would all have our time, and that MEDEX would make the right choice. I feel like that again! So, I am super excited to make more friends, knowing we will all have our moment-- when the time is right. I want us all to succeed, and success is either getting in, or learning ways to improve our application for next year. Either way we all win if we work together. Gah, I am getting so excited!

Hey everyone! My name is Tenesha, I am a re-applicant and this will be my second year applying! I live in Tacoma and work in Burien and Seattle! I am an EMT at AMR and an ER technician at Highline. I would love to get emails from anyone in the are so we can go over applications and whatnot. I had an interview last year... Hoping for another! The group I interviewed with last year was so amazing, a few of them got in and we still keep in touch. I hope for another close group like that again this year.

I submitted my application to CASPA, I am for sure applying to UC Davis (if it is verified in time) and UW. My concerns are my GRE, my scores were not so great, but I will be retaking I soon! I look forward to getting to know everyone. My email is Teneshamcfadden@yahoo.com

And of course, thank you thank you thank you to all of the other re-applicants who helped me so much last year and to the currently enrolled students who always take the time to help out and offer advice. I am beyond grateful and I can only hope I will have the opportunity to pay it forward just as you have. That's what makes MEDEX so amazing!

Best,

Tenesha

Hi Tenesha, I am in the same boat as you. I don't think my GRE scores are that great. I hope they don't take that into too much into consideration. When you interviewed last year were there any veterans in your group? I have most of my experience from the military as a combat medic. I read that this program accepts most than most schools out there. Do you remember the interview questions they asked you? I appreciate your help. Good luck!

Let me go ahead and advise you strongly to not ask about interview questions on the forum.  There are many faculty, interviewers and current students who browse this thread on a regular basis and that could give an impression of trying to cheat the process.

My class was/is 50% veterans, the class after mine was about 35%, and that was just one site.  MEDEX has a strong history of working with the veteran community.  

In regards to the GRE statement, whoever mentioned that MEDEX doesn't place much emphasis on them was correct.  They haven't yet figured out what kind of weight they want to put on the scores, so as of right now you just need to pass!  

Good luck to all, the waiting game begins!

Let me go ahead and advise you strongly to not ask about interview questions on the forum. There are many faculty, interviewers and current students who browse this thread on a regular basis and that could give an impression of trying to cheat the process.

My class was/is 50% veterans, the class after mine was about 35%, and that was just one site. MEDEX has a strong history of working with the veteran community.

In regards to the GRE statement, whoever mentioned that MEDEX doesn't place much emphasis on them was correct. They haven't yet figured out what kind of weight they want to put on the scores, so as of right now you just need to pass!

Good luck to all, the waiting game begins!

Thank you Medimike for your insight!

Bringing it back to applications, if you haven't turned in CASPA yet just know I got an Email saying it will now be taking up to FOUR weeks to verify. This is double the time it was when I first turned in my CASPA application, which was approximately a week and a half ago. So, keep that in mind as you get your CASPA applications in.

Hi everyone,

I just want to start off by saying how appreciative I am of how helpful everyone has been in this thread.

I received an email from MEDEX stating they received my CASPA and supplemental application a few days ago, but they're waiting for the final grade of the composition class I'm taking this summer before forwarding my application for further review. The class will be completed by the end of August, but I'm afraid this delay will hinder my chances of getting accepted. Should I be concerned?

Thank you! And best of luck to all applying :) 

Best,

Tenesha

Hey Tenesha! My name is Shannon, I believe I met you at a re-applicant info session a few months back. I just submitted the CASPA application over the weekend and was surprised by the turn around time too. Hopefully they're being very generous with the estimate! While we wait, I would love to meet up with you and any other applicants to talk PA school. 

Keep working hard and best of luck to all the other applicants! 

Shannon

Hey Shannon! So good to hear from you, and I am glad you got your application submitted. To give you a rough estimate on the time frame I submitted mine July 10th and it was just verified on Thursday the 23rd. So, not as long as they predicted! How is your MEDEX application going? I am going to start mine as soon as my healthcare stats class is finished.

Has anyone taken biochemistry through the University of New England or any other online program??

I just received notification that I do not meet the biology prerequisites. Can anyone help me understand this as all other programs have not had an issue with my courses.

They say that my animal bio class will not count as a general/human bio even though animal bio is a higher level class AND it covers all topics of general bio, cell bio, diversity, evolution and molecular cell science.

I wrote MEDEX and email expressing my concern but now have to wait all weekend for a response. Can anyone help with this? I am heartbroken as MEDEX is my top choice:(

Hey Shannon! So good to hear from you, and I am glad you got your application submitted. To give you a rough estimate on the time frame I submitted mine July 10th and it was just verified on Thursday the 23rd. So, not as long as they predicted! How is your MEDEX application going? I am going to start mine as soon as my healthcare stats class is finished.

Has anyone taken biochemistry through the University of New England or any other online program??

That's great! Thanks for letting me know. I submitted the MEDEX supplemental over the middle of last week.

I applied to WSU online for Biochemistry last summer, it was a relatively easy process. I didn't end up taking the class at the time but I will be submitting an application for Fall semester again or on-campus at N. Seattle CC. 

Man, I look at the profiles of some of the people MEDEX accepted on their facebook site, and it makes me feel very mediocre as a candidate. 

Gere -- Don't feel too badly.  I used to feel the same way during my application process.  The best advice I heard was that MEDEX is not trying to make up a class of 50 identical candidates.  They want a diverse class of people who can help each other.  They realize that people have different life experiences.  It's very likely that you have unique skills that could intimidate other people too.  Focus on presenting your own contributions to a cohort, and on what you want to do with your PA degree once you finish.

UC- While I'm not familiar with your home institution I'm aware that CASPA and MEDEX will evaluate classes taken on a case by case basis.  But if you've been told you don't meet the requirement then there's a reason.  Although it may fulfill a requirement for a biology major at your home institution, if that major was in Human Biology I highly doubt it would be included as part of the curriculum.  Comparative anatomy doesn't really apply to us in this field.  

Gere- Don't stress it.  As JL has stated above MEDEX looks for a mix of candidates. My class had everything from RT's, nurses, medics, EMT's to rad techs and MAs.  Now, if you're lacking in hours of experience well then a little sweating can be expected.  Otherwise chillax as best you can.

Can't recall timelines for the other sites, but for Tacoma at least I doubt anyone will be receiving interview invitations until Nov/Dec.  It's a painful wait but worth it.

Hi, everyone! I just submitted my application today. I am excited about this program but I'm also a little worried. I'm not from the region and I know the program gives preference to certain areas around Washington. Does anyone know how much this will impact getting selected?

Can any current students shed some light on the differences between the Seattle and Spokane programs? I've been to Spokane many times and Seattle a handful of times, I'm just looking for program differences. The supplemental wants to know your first & second choices and why, but since location/climate (I live in Montana where all four seasons make an appearance in the same day) aren't issues for me, I'm wanting to know more of program differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all! I just wanted to stop by to wish everyone the best of luck with the application process and upcoming interviews!

Just as ktcan10, jlumsden, and EMSGuy1982 have helped us in the past, I am open to assist in any way I can as well.

Cheers! :)

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Archived