MEDEX 2015-2016 Application Cycle

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As always, if anybody has any questions that I can answer, I'm just a PM away. The only caveat is that you pay it forward to the incoming classes when you get accepted... ;) 

I've made it my single-handed mission to decrease the gap between pre-PAs and PA students (real live PA students!) and also to increase the cohesiveness between the didactic year and clinical year students at MEDEX. 

Thank you to all the current students who so generously take time to connect with applicants and incoming students!! In addition to the awesome reputation of this program, MEDEX is my top choice in large part because of the type of people they select to be PAs - People who genuinely care about others!

I am currently writing my personal statement for the MEDEX supplemental application.  I was wondering what direction other applicants are taking in writing their statement?  Do prior applicants have advice, tips, or insider knowledge in regards to this statement?  I feel pretty good about my CASPA narrative, but the prompts for the MEDEX statement are far more directed and not as easy to respond to in a narrative format (although it is possible). Thank you all in advance for your comments!

Rallen -- When I wrote my CASPA narrative, I struggled with how to fit every thing I wanted into a limited space.  The supplemental application is a gift -- you get more words to finish your thoughts.  Use that space to talk about what accomplishments you left out.  Think about what makes MEDEX different from other schools; you may need to do a little research (show you've done your homework).  Discuss why that helps you, or how you will promote the goals of MEDEX, specifically.  

The other thing I can add is that MEDEX is trying to build a cohort.  You don't have to be an EMT, or have twenty years of being a charge nurse, or have earned a 4.0 GPA.  They want a group of students who can help each other through an extremely challenging didactic year.  We have people who've accomplished the above, but we also have a diabetes educator, three former social workers, military medics and corpsmen, and an ultrasound tech.  I worked in developmental disabilities.  Each are able to provide their expertise when it's needed.  In your essay, mention how your past healthcare experience compliments a diverse group of students.

Finally, if you come from a disadvantaged and/or minority background, and choose to mention that, be sure to explain how that has informed your choice to be a PA, and what some of the difficulties you face have taught you.

Hope that helps.  You can PM me if you want more help.

I am so excited for you applicants!  I am only one quarter in, but Medex is fantastic and my classmates are a riot.  The second-year's are very helpful and lend advice anytime we ask.  This is such a great program to be part of, I feel so blessed.

I also can't believe it was just a year ago that I was filling out the application and praying for the 'Interview Invite' email. :-)  Good luck to everyone, and I hope I get to meet you at the interview luncheon(s) in October - January.

My advice for the personal statement is to keep it about you and what you REALLY want to do.  Your passion will come through.  Good luck!

I am so excited for you applicants!  I am only one quarter in, but Medex is fantastic and my classmates are a riot.  The second-year's are very helpful and lend advice anytime we ask.  This is such a great program to be part of, I feel so blessed.

I also can't believe it was just a year ago that I was filling out the application and praying for the 'Interview Invite' email. :-)  Good luck to everyone, and I hope I get to meet you at the interview luncheon(s) in October - January.

My advice for the personal statement is to keep it about you and what you REALLY want to do.  Your passion will come through.  Good luck!

I would second what Elated said. Whatever truly motivates you to do this (not what you think they want to hear because the truth will come out in the interviews) is what you should be writing about. The passion you have will naturally come out, and you won't have to try to remember what you wrote when you're in the interview because it'll just be part of who you really are. I was blessed to be part of the very last interview for the 2015 cycle and heard everything from people wanting to share their knowledge and teaching abilities, polished during deployments and odd jobs, to someone's faith leading them to helping mission work overseas in their vacation time and the PA profession being a vehicle for them to do that, so nothing should deter you from bearing your true selves in the supplemental. But definitely spend some time on them! Like jlumsden said, it can be quite difficult to fit in everything you want them to know about you, even with the supplementals. And for you military guys and gals, you get yet another chance to share with them who you are. You is to your advantage and try not to mention the same thing more than once.

Thank you all so much for all of your feed-back, advice, and encouragement!  As you are all aware, this is a very intimidating process, yet and exciting one.  I pray that I will have the opportunity to meet each of you during the interview season!

As always, if anybody has any questions that I can answer, I'm just a PM away. The only caveat is that you pay it forward to the incoming classes when you get accepted... ;) 

I've made it my single-handed mission to decrease the gap between pre-PAs and PA students (real live PA students!) and also to increase the cohesiveness between the didactic year and clinical year students at MEDEX. 

Thanks for your efforts ktcan10! It makes a difference. I plan to pay it forward!!! All of the current MEDEX students I have met have been so great!

Lanime,

Yes, I have received multiple emails regarding the supplemental application.  The e-mail states to disregard the notice if you have already submitted your supplemental application.  So as long as you have an email confirming submission of your supplemental, then you probably have nothing to worry about.  

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I received an email stating that a preliminary review of my application confirmed that I meet all of the minimum requirements and that my application would move to the next stage of review.  The email indicated that the process could take several weeks.

Hi all! I am also applying to the MEDEX PA program.  The spirit in this thread is truly amazing.  I have no submitted CASPA yet.  I am still working on a few last changes for my personal statement but am planning on submitting by Monday.  Good luck to everyone! Im excited to see where this journey takes us!

Hi all! I am also applying to the MEDEX PA program. The spirit in this thread is truly amazing. I have no submitted CASPA yet. I am still working on a few last changes for my personal statement but am planning on submitting by Monday. Good luck to everyone! Im excited to see where this journey takes us!

Best of luck to you!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived