2015-2016 Application Cycle -UC Davis

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will you guys be flying into Sacramento Intl airport or San Fran? Also, where will you be staying? Trying to make travel accommodations right now.

I'm going to fly into San Francisco and stay for a few days to go sight seeing and then I'm taking a bus and staying at the hostel in Sacramento (they offer a private room at a reasonable price). Staying in hostels is way cheaper and more fun than hotels as long as you get a private room the night before the interview.

Congratulations again to all of you! Receiving an interview invite is pretty much the hardest part of the application process, so take a deep breath and don't stress too much about your interviews. At this point, you are all clearly qualified and interviews should be viewed only to see if you are a good fit for the program. At the same time, interviews should be just as much about you finding out if the program is the best fit for you. Come prepared with lots of questions. If you haven't received an invitation yet, don't worry! There are a total of four visit days I believe, and you could receive an invite the week before if more spots become available. Be sure to check your spam folders (a lot of my interview invites were filtered out).

Our cohort is excited to meet you all and we wish you the best of luck in these next steps! We would love to be a resource to you all in any way we can. Unfortunately, we can't disclose much information about the particulars of interview day itself. UC Davis has decided to make huge changes to the interview process in shifting from a formal interview day to a "visit day" for candidates. We had MMI (multiple mini interviews) last year, but I am under the impression that this won't be the case for this cycle. You can probably expect more of a group style evaluation with an emphasis on your ability to work through a task/discussion as a member of a team. Here are some tips for interviews in general:

1. Be Yourself (totally cliche, but absolutely true)- you don't need to reiterate all your accomplishments. They've read your application and they know you are qualified. Use interviews to talk about your personal passions and interests. The best interview tip I received was: "convince the faculty you are someone they could see themselves spending the next 2 years with mentoring, teaching, and hanging out with". If possible, find a common ground. It might seem strange, but in my interviews we often ended up talking about football, food, hiking spots, pets, music, and traveling. 

2. Know What The School Values- you don't need to memorize the mission statement, but come up with some solid life examples that demonstrate how you share the same values as the program. Interviews are about making sure you are a good fit. Ask good questions.

3. Be Confident- at this point the program is rooting for you! You are clearly qualified and you need to show the faculty that you belong at their school. Don't over-prepare for your interviews, but practice thinking on the spot and know your application.

4. Make New Friends- use interview days as a chance to meet some of your peers. You'll be working with these people in just a few years, and some of them might even be your classmates. Put yourself out there and start building your network. It'll relieve some of your anxiety and make interviews a lot more fun. Find some other candidates through the forum and go explore the area together. I met my roommate and some great friends all across the country just from interviews. Also, talk to current students =] We're here to help!

5. Know The PA Role- if you haven't already, shadow a PA. Make sure you know how a PA fits into the current health care system, the differences between a Physician/PA/NP, and your own vision of how you see the profession growing. Join professional networks like CAPA and AAPA if you can, and show your passion for transforming the current system.

My own experience as a 1st Year PA Student at UC Davis has been amazing so far =] Selecting the right program for me was a really difficult decision, but in the end, I feel I made the right choice by choosing to attend UCD. The campus is located in downtown Sacramento right next to the UC Davis Medical Center (about 20 minutes from the Davis undergrad campus). We share the campus with the School of Medicine and many of the other health science graduate programs. The campus is beautiful and the facilities are modern and equipped with great technology (high fidelity mannequins, mock patient rooms, etc.). There's a huge focus on team and case based learning, and I really like the non-competitive and collaborative environment of the program. Our cohort is extremely supportive of each other and we all work together to make sure everyone succeeds. Your cohort members will become some of your best friends the next few years. You will see each other every day, work hard through late night studying for exams together, and play even harder after exams. I'm sure most of you have heard that PA school is like drinking from a fire hydrant. It's true. The amount of information is overwhelming at times, but you will adjust quickly and you will be just fine. The faculty truly care about student learning and are very supportive when you need help. My favorite parts about the program so far have been the opportunity to practice our clinical skills with standardized patients (actors/actresses who are paid to act as patients) in a simulated clinic settings and the chance to work at any of the 8 UCD student run clinics with the med school students on the weekends. If you have any specific questions about our program or the application process, feel free to shoot me a message =]

MORE IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

Pre-Visit Day Mixer (optional):

Our cohort would like to invite all candidates to an informal dinner mixer (dutch) with current students the night before each visit day. This is completely optional and is in no way associated with the UCD SON Admissions process. We think it would be a great chance for you to ask any questions you might have about the program off the record and will hopefully help to easy any anxiety you might have going into visit day. It'll be really casual and will likely be at a location in downtown/midtown Sacramento. If you are interested in joining us the night before your visit day, please send me a message with your name, contact information, and the date of your visit day. I will provide you with more details as it comes closer about time/location. We look forward to meeting with all of you and can't wait to share our experiences with you!

Overnight Accommodations (optional):

I know traveling out to interviews and finding overnight accommodations can be financially draining, especially if you're coming from out of state. My roommate and I are both first year PA students and we have decided to offer our apartment to host 1-2 candidates overnight for each visit day. Our apartment is located in downtown Sacramento (about a 5 minute drive to campus and in close proximity to great bars/restaurants/tourist destinations in Sac). We have a big couch and I can probably get an air mattress too. We also have a few sleeping bags. It might not be the Hilton Suites, but it is free if you're looking to save some money or hangout with some current students =] We'll take requests on a first-come first-serve basis, and if there's overwhelming interest, I can ask to see if other some of our other cohort members are willing to host. If interested, send me your name, contact information, and the dates you need accommodations for. 

Best of luck to all of you and hope to see some of you out here in Sacramento in just a few weeks!

To those whose positivity is fading, I just received an interview invite this morning at 8 AM... so hang in there!!!  Judging by the website, there seems to be more spots available, although I can't tell how many are left. Stay positive! My application was verified in late June and I am ecstatic to be interviewing 10/12!

Hi guys,

I received an e-mail just now:

"Thank you for your interest in the Nursing Science and Health-Care Leadership Nurse Practitioner and Physician Assistant programs at the Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing at UC Davis. We have completed the initial review of your application, and we are delighted to invite you to the in-person Candidate Visit Day as part of our admissions process.
We are excited about our distinctive combined educational program, the only one in the nation that educates and trains nurse practitioners and physician assistants in the same classroom, supporting one of our core attributes of interprofessional/interdisciplinary education.  We bring the best of advanced practice nursing and healthcare science into an interprofessional curriculum, taught by an interdisciplinary faculty and designed to graduate highly skilled and knowledgeable clinicians.  
This phase of the admissions process will be a half day on-site visit from 8:00am -12:30pm, held on the UC Davis Health System, Sacramento Campus. While you are here, you will have the opportunity to meet several of the School of Nursing interdisciplinary team and to learn more about financial aid and our programs."

This means I'm selected for interview, right? This is my first interview letter so I'm over-excited at this moment XD

but I live in NJ...... there's no way for skype interview since it's In-Person?

I mean, I would go if it's a "must" lols

thanks for the input everyone :) Good luck with app process everyone!!

I seem to have misplaced my most recent email from the program regarding hotel information and where to meet on the morning of the  interview.  I emailed the program but they haven't gotten back to me.  Would anyone that has received that email be willing to post it on here? My interview date is October 9th.

@ chrispac09

Thank you for scheduling your visit with the UC Davis Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing!
The Candidate Visit Day will begin at 8:00am and end at approximately 12:30pm. Please plan on arriving 15-20 minutes early to accommodate for parking and check-in. Further reporting and parking instructions can be found below.  
Reporting: Please report to the Education Building located at 4610 X Street, Sacramento, California 95817 no later than 8:00am. Check-in will be on the first floor lobby in front of room 1204. Business attire is recommended. Upon arrival, you will check-in and have your photo taken. A light breakfast will be served.
Parking: We recommend parking in lot 14 or lot 16.  You are required to purchase a one-day permit ($6.00/day) from the pay station in either of these lots (all lots require a permit). Please do not park in any visitor parking spots as they are limited to 2 hours. Attached is a parking map for your reference. More detailed parking information can also be found here.
Hotel and Lodging: If you are traveling from out of town, there are two options for hotels within a short walking distance of the School of Nursing.

The Courtyard Marriott Midtown
Rates: ~$150.00/night
Distance: 0.2 miles, 3 minute walk

Hotel Med Park
Rate: ~$170.00/night
Distance: 0.3 miles, 5 minute walk

In preparation for your visit, we ask that you prepare a one minute elevator speech regarding your interest in healthcare. You will have the opportunity to share your interests in a small group format with a faculty member and other candidates. You do not need to bring anything additional to the interview.
We look forward to getting to know you and to introducing you to our program! Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or if we can be of any help to you.
Sincerely,
The UC Davis School of Nursing Admissions Team

Can you let me know how your interview went? I'm going on the 15th!

Hi everyone, I scheduled my interview on 10/19 and booked my hotel at The Courtyard Marriott Midtown for the 18th. The cheapest option includes 2 queen size beds, so if anyone has an interview on that day and would like to split the cost of hotel with me please let me know! The hotel is about a 3 min walk to the school of nursing.

Hi everyone!

I received my interview two days ago. I signed up for my interview on 10/15! So excited. Does anyone know how many people are in each interview group? Also have they assigned any times yet for the interviews. 

Thanks!

I don't think there are any specific times aside from just 8am-12:30.  From there I think it will be a group/collaborative type deal.

Ok so, I have an important question...

How hot is it going to be and how long will it take me to sweat through my suit?

Beyond that, excited to meet everyone and hear about where y'all are coming from.  I've been an ER nurse for about eight years with a masters in nursing and a BS in bio.  I like the idea of UC Davis because it incorporates both PA and NP, but also is in Cali (4:1 nursing ratio y'all) and I think I can find ok running in Folsom (?).  I'm from urban areas such as DC, Seattle, and Richmond VA, but want to work with underserved populations with a focus on diabetes education.

I don't really wanna compare stats, but just hear where everyone else is coming from.  As a nurse, I don't have a lot of friends applying to PA school so I welcome a conversation about motivation.

--Phil

Archived