2015-2016 Application Cycle -UC Davis

Agreed! I walked away from it feeling a little weird and didn't completely agree with how that whole interview process worked. But that's just my opinion! Maybe others feel differently...I think there were waaaay too many people present.

Thank you jstree2. I had a feeling that I wasn't the only one feeling the way I did.

I also agree that 50-60 people was a bit much.

I was most shocked by the lack of diversity, not a single black person (but I digress).

But I reiterate, beautiful building, facilities, amazing staff, and very coordinated otherwise!

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys, for those of you who interviewed, I am not asking anything about the questions asked at all. I just want to know if it was a large group interview with other candidates present or was it you and the faculty only. Because they asked to preparea 1 minute speech.

I really appreciate your help.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thank you jstree2. I had a feeling that I wasn't the only one feeling the way I did.

I also agree that 50-60 people was a bit much.

I was most shocked by the lack of diversity, not a single black person (but I digress).

But I reiterate, beautiful building, facilities, amazing staff, and very coordinated otherwise!

i'm black too and i was there today, the girl with the scarf 0_o...

Hey everyone! I get the feeling that a lot of people were disappointed that they didn't get to stand out and share their resume more today. Visit day was supposed to be more focused on learning about our program and seeing if it's a good fit for you. UCD decided to switch away from the more traditional MMI interview style from last year because it takes up pretty much the entire day. MMI style is also extremely impersonal (the faculty literally stares at you as you rattle off an answer for 7 minutes). I understand the frustration that you didn't get to talk much about your background or what you might bring to the program. However, if you've made it this far in the process, you don't need to worry. YOU ARE QUALIFIED! Your background and everything about you is exactly what the UC Davis program is looking for. They are looking to expand the class size (somewhere between 60-90 from what I've heard), and if it's anything like the process was last year, most applicants who attend the in-person visit will get supplemental applications. The supplemental application is your chance to add anything you couldn't include in your CASPA application. I know it's a waiting game, but RELAX! At this point your chances couldn't be better, and the program would accept all of you if it could. You've made it past the thousands of CASPA applicants by receiving a visit day invitation. From the 240 candidates that will attend an in-person visit, many will receive the supplemental. From there, to fill a class of 60-90, I'd imagine they would offer anywhere from 80-100 initially PLUS a waitlist (a lot of students in our cohort got in off the waitlist). Take a deep breath. No interview style is perfect and I'm sure you all did great! Another interview down. On to the next one =] It was great to meet all of you and I wish you the best of luck going forward! If you have any additional questions please feel free to send them my way. I'd be happy to help in any way possible.

My issue wasn't with how much or how little diversity there was, I thought there were a ton of qualified applicants there, but with so many how do they get to know us? How do they get to see what each of us has to offer? I met some great people, but also felt that I wasn't able to spend more than 5 minutes with one faculty member in particular. That was confusing and frustrating to me. But good luck to all and as for people to still interview, there's really nothing you can do to prepare except the one minute elevator speech. just be yourself and I'm sure everything will work out the way it needs to!

Just a reminder for all candidates arriving in Sacramento tomorrow. For those of you coming to visit day on October 12, the details for the pre-visit day mixer on the night of October 11 (Sunday) are posted below =] Details for all other visit days will be posted the week prior. Please message me if you have any questions. Good luck!

What: Pre-Visit Day Mixer with Current Students (optional)

When: Sunday, October 11 (night before visit day) at 6:30pm

Where: Broderick Midtown (1820 L Street, Sacramento, CA 95811)

Why: Our cohort would like to invite all candidates to an informal dinner mixer (dutch) with a few current students the night before each visit day. This is completely optional and is in no way associated with the UCD SON Admissions process. We think it would be a great chance for you to ask any questions you might have about the program off the record and will hopefully help to ease any anxiety you might have going into visit day. It'll be really casual (no need to dress up) and food/drinks will be available for purchase from the venue. If you are interested in joining us the night before your visit day, please send me a message with your name, contact information, and the date of your visit day. We look forward to meeting with all of you and can't wait to share our experiences with you!

Questions? Contact me at ryanfong15@yahoo.com or (916) 801-9202

HI Everyone,

Just want to say congratulations to everyone who received an invite and to everyone who has already interviewed. I will be interviewing on Oct/19th and would love to meet up with anyone who will be interviewing that day. Let me know if your available this week at all. Also really excited for the pre-visit mixer. Thank you to everyone taking time out of their busy schedules to host this and help calm our nerves.

Hi guys! My name is Tiffany and I'm a first year PA student. The odds are very much in your favor after attending visit day. They want to see how you can collaborate and work as a group, as we do a lot of team based activities as a cohort. I believe that UCD has a very holistic approach to how they select applicants, thus don't stress out too much about visit day! You've made it this far for a reason. :) Look forward to meeting those who are going to attend the mixers!

Can anyone expand on the format for candidate preview day? I am confused on why people were disappointed in it. I also have my interview on 10/15 and am staying at Marriott midtown if anyone else wants to meet up, go to the mixer together or practice together! :)

Can anyone expand on the format for candidate preview day? I am confused on why people were disappointed in it. I also have my interview on 10/15 and am staying at Marriott midtown if anyone else wants to meet up, go to the mixer together or practice together! :)

Hi! I am planning on attending the mixer! I would definitely be down to go together and/or practice!!

I had my interview today and please know you have nothing to worry about (and I was freaking out!). The staff is exceptionally nice and makes you feel so wanted and welcome from the very beginning.  It is clear they are on the same team as you and want you to succeed. Take a deep breath, have fun and meet some really awesome people. Like their email says, prep your speech, but don't over think it.  

Also, if you can make it to the mixer, I really recommend it. It was great to pick the brains of current students and was helpful in calming the nerves! (thanks ryan!)

Best of luck to everyone! 

For those of you coming to visit day on October 15, the details for the pre-visit day mixer on the night of October 14 (Wednesday) are posted below =] Details for all other visit days will be posted the week prior. Please message me if you have any questions. Good luck!

What: Pre-Visit Day Mixer with Current Students (optional)

When: Wednesday, October 14 (night before visit day) at 6:30pm

Where: Pieology Pizzeria (1020 16th Street)

Why: Our cohort would like to invite all candidates to an informal dinner mixer (dutch) with a few current students the night before each visit day. This is completely optional and is in no way associated with the UCD SON Admissions process. We think it would be a great chance for you to ask any questions you might have about the program off the record and will hopefully help to ease any anxiety you might have going into visit day. It'll be really casual (no need to dress up) and food/drinks will be available for purchase from the venue. If you are interested in joining us the night before your visit day, please send me a message with your name, contact information, and the date of your visit day. We look forward to meeting with all of you and can't wait to share our experiences with you!

Questions? Contact me at ryanfong15@yahoo.com or (916) 801-9202

Archived