CASPA 2015-2016

From my research, they will give you your position in the waitlist December/January when they have everyone settled. At this point I'm sure they are still juggling applicants. Also, I know some people who accept seats pay the 500 seat deposit and later walk away when they are offered something at their first choice school. There is still so much up in the air - Do not lose hope yet! I know a girl who received a call the day before classes started and was offered a seat because someone else dropped! Don't let these negative people get to you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't agree more with paoneday222- it is still very early in the admissions process when you consider all programs across the board. I'm sure Lock Haven knows this, and I'm sure they anticipate that even once their class is officially full, the names on the roster will change (even up to the days prior to class). Personally, the majority of other programs to which I applied don't even extend interviews until January. Of course, Lock Haven is rolling admissions, so their interview offers came out quickly... But all things considered, now isn't the time to worry.

Much like the post above, I had a friend receive a call offering her a seat 2 weeks prior to LHU's first day of classes. There are 200-250 interviewed for 70+ spots. When you consider some applicants have another first choice and will ultimately decline LHU, your chances look better.

Still haven't heard anything. It's been 4 weeks and I'm getting super anxious! I'm just curious if I somehow missed an email or something!

I know someone who will be graduating the program this spring and when she easy applying she interviewed early November and didn't hear a thing till January

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Has anyone who interviewed 10/21 heard back yet? I'm starting to get worried now. I know it has only been about three weeks, but I'm starting to overthink.

I interviewed on a day they had two groups, 8-12 and another 1-5. I felt a little bit rushed when I walked into the actual interview portion, and wondered if anyone else had this experience or it was just me? I'm not sure if maybe the other groups of faculty gave off a different vibe, but I kinda felt like they had made up their minds before I even walked in the room... not sure if that is good or bad. I know they would have been conducting quite a few interviews that day because of the two groups, so maybe that was it.

They do have their minds pretty made up, I encountered same thing. Not a fan of the biased interview process here.

I just don't understand if it is the case that they have their minds made up about certain candidates, why waste time on an interview? Like I said, it may have been the circumstances. I had one actual person in the room and three others on the screen, so there was always an awkward delay and it felt very impersonal. 

Either way, I'd like to think they wouldn't invite someone for an interview if they were planning on rejecting the individual anyway, much less making such a person wait 3 weeks for a simple "no".

I liked the school and think it would be a great fit, so fingers crossed.

It really comes down to the interviewers, I was from the area and put years of work to get into this program.  A couple of the faculty there knew me and liked me.  I interviewed with one that easily dismissed me after about a 5 minute interview.  So a person that liked me granted an interview, but at the interview its really all about the person in charge of that interview.  There is no panel to decide.  I don't really get it myself, I perfectly fit with LHU and even worked in Lock Haven as a Paramedic and took my pre-reqs through their school.  I got 10 other interviews and with some top programs and have been accepted already to other schools.  How was I not a good fit for a middle of nowhere state program like this?  Who knows, being from the area I would've completely matched their mission statement.  One other thing to consider is they will take about half their students from out of state so they can charge the higher tuition rate.  The only thing that PA school admissions has shown me is how biased it can be, I have been chewed up and spit out by some adcoms.  Then another place you get accepted the next day because the interviewer/adcom were so impressed with you.  There is sometimes no rhyme or reason haha.  Good luck out there with your other prospects!

They do have their minds pretty made up, I encountered same thing. Not a fan of the biased interview process here.

I think that you need to stop being so resentful. You don't deserve an acceptance just because you interviewed here twice, just because you're from the area, etc. For the record, I thought my interviewer disliked me but I ended up with an acceptance.

I agree that the point of these interviews is to find out, as they told us at the beginning of the process, "if we are a good fit for each other." I have heard nothing but good things about this program, and the tour and info session on my interview day really sealed the deal for me. Prior to going for the interview I had somewhat obsessively looked for a list of common PA school interview questions. I was just surprised when I walked in that they basically asked "Why LHU? What experience do you have with patients? What do you do for fun?" I had prepared myself for the crazy difficult questions and was taken aback by the simplicity of the interview, which is why I was questioning here if anyone else had a similar experience. The interviewer may or may not have liked me, but that's life.

I've just been overthinking the events of that day, because the waiting period often gives you the time to play out the best and worst-case scenarios in your head.

I'm actually a student who sat in on some of these interviews, and you guys have no idea how hard the faculty goes to bat for some of these applicants. In fact, I asked one of the faculty why we have so many interviews, especially when some of the candidates have borderline grades, GRE, or healthcare experience, and I was told that they want to have a picture of the whole interviewee. Sometimes good candidates on paper are the top people, and some aren't always a good fit for the program. They are by no means flippant when rejecting applicants. They were all once in your shoes, too. Often there would be candidates that had less than stellar grades (in the realm of PA applicants) but they ended up as some of the best interviews. Yes, interviews will always be subjective, but that's the way it will work when we go to get jobs as well.

For those of you accepted, congratulations! And I strongly encourage you to help with interviews next year. The faculty love your input, and its a great way to see the other side of what you just went through. :) Good luck to everyone still waiting for a decision, too!

It's not being resentful, but putting the time and effort in that I did for this school in particular then being asked 4 questions within a 5 minute interview in no way could determine how you are a fit or what kind of provider you would be. And if other people from a bunch of places outside PA are a better fit, maybe the mission statement should be revised. Caspa is definitely a curse and a blessing. It's all good, will still be a PA in two years though! Congrats to those accepted, I was just sharing my own experience with all this and echoing what sassafras had posted. These things are why places like GWU performs an MMI style interview, or you atleast perform more than one single interview.

Archived