CASPA 2015-2016

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@paoneday222 The interview is very relaxed and the faculty are very inviting. The program does a great job of presenting info about the technology they utilize and all facets of the program. As for the test, you do not need to prepare for it. The material should be review. I heard it does not impact the admission decision, but just shows "where you're at" with basic sciences. Best of luck!

@PAofPA I received the acceptance call Aug 4 in the evening and have not received any email or paper mail follow up yet. Congrats to those accepted!

Hi everyone!

I Interviewed at Lockhaven on Aug. 19th and was called the next day with an admissions offer. I thought I would go ahead and post my details/the process I went through to get to where I am now :)

Caspa submitted: June 30th (verified about a week later)

I received an interview invite about 2 weeks later and scheduled it for August 19th (risky since later in the schedule) since it was the day after another interview offer i had (Penn State).

HCE: 1500+

Overall GPA: 3.81

Science GPA: 3.42

GRE combined: 313

I studied undergrad at SUNY Geneseo which is out of state (NY). 

I opted for the Coudersport campus!

Good luck everyone! Feel free to message me if you have any questions, happy interviewing!

I submitted my application sometime in early June, received an offer of interview in late June, interviewed morning August 4th and received a phone call from them at 7pm on the 4th as I was driving home from the interview saying I got in! I chose the Lock Haven campus because my grandmother lives down the street and I have family in the area. My stats are:

University of Maryland undergrad, 3.7 GPA 

4,500 HCE hours - EMT and ER tech, both in very urban environments in a medically underserved county outside of Washington DC (PG County)

GRE - Verbal 94%, Quantitative 57%, Writing 5

Question for people that are choosing to go here/ already do, it seems like LHU's focus is primary care rural medicine. If I wanted to go into a specialty such as EM or surgery, and rotate not in a primary care setting close to lock haven, is this going to be difficult? Does LHU prepare you for every specialty and not just primary care? 

I submitted my application sometime in early June, received an offer of interview in late June, interviewed morning August 4th and received a phone call from them at 7pm on the 4th as I was driving home from the interview saying I got in! I chose the Lock Haven campus because my grandmother lives down the street and I have family in the area. My stats are:

University of Maryland undergrad, 3.7 GPA 

4,500 HCE hours - EMT and ER tech, both in very urban environments in a medically underserved county outside of Washington DC (PG County)

GRE - Verbal 94%, Quantitative 57%, Writing 5

Question for people that are choosing to go here/ already do, it seems like LHU's focus is primary care rural medicine. If I wanted to go into a specialty such as EM or surgery, and rotate not in a primary care setting close to lock haven, is this going to be difficult? Does LHU prepare you for every specialty and not just primary care? 

LHU likes to recruit people who plan on staying in PA, especially those who want to work in underserved communities in primary care because that's where the need is. By no means does that mean you aren't prepared to do other things! We have tons of graduates who are working in all different specialties. One of the faculty (also a graduate of the program) works in EM, and other faculty are involved in a few different specialties other than family med. Most PA schools are focusing on a generalist education since there's no way you could be prepared for every specialty in 24 months. With your generalist education, you will be prepared enough to start in a specialty if you choose, but like graduates from all other schools, your first year or two will be a lot of learning on the job. Currently, we have 8 clinical rotations, and only one of them has to be primary care. We are required EM and surgery rotations among others, as well. Your rotations can be all over the country, if you want that. We even have a few in Hawaii, I think! (You're responsible for housing wherever you go, though.) They really try to work with you as much as possible to get you what you want. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask here or PM me :) You made a great choice in Lock Haven!

No idea on how many spots may or may not be at any campus. I do know that a current student told me that at least two other students got switched to Harrisburg last year after people withdrew to attend a different school. Since LHU accepts so early, I think some people send a seat deposit as a place holder for themselves, and then if they get into their 'first choice' school, they drop the earlier seat. That's just my theory though!

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived