Am I Competitive for 2015-2016 cycle? Feedback appreciated!

Hello, 

This is my first post so hopefully I do it right.  I have read numerous other posts and love everyone's feedback and interactions so I decided to try this out.  I am applying for PA school right now.  My application is about 90% done at this point.  I am just wondering if there are any last minute things I should consider, change, review, etc.  Here are some of my stats:

cGPA:  3.45

sGPA:  3.11

GRE: verbal: 151, quant: 154, writing: 4.5

Direct Patient Care Experience hours:  ~4,000 and still working full time along side MDs, DOs, PAs, and FNPs every week as a medical assistant at a Family Practice and Urgent Care

Other Health Care Experience hours:  ~500

4 strong letters of recc, 1 from an MD/owner of the clinic I work at and along side, 1 from a PA/owner of the clinic I work at, 1 from a science faculty member, and 1 more from a FNP I work closely with and have for the past 2 years

~100 hours of shadowing a wide variety of providers and settings

~2 volunteer travel trips including a week long trip to Tijuana, Mexico to build houses, and a 6week long trip to India to volunteer medically in clinics and slums

~about 30 other hours of volunteer work

I have what I feel is a strong personal statement...

I have a couple certifications such as phlebotomy, diabetes educator, MS clinically trained, CPR, emergency medical responder, EKG...

What does everyone think?  Am I a strong applicant?  I am hoping to submit my CASPA application within the next 1-2 weeks.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much! :)

A few questions. What are the minimums and averages for matriculated students at the programs you are looking at applying to? Does your sGPA include college health classes? I personally forgot they were included and was only calculating my BCP, so be sure to take a look. Otherwise, as a fellow applicant, you look like strong competition.

Oh, make sure your personal essay is as strong as humanly possible. 

Thanks for your response! I believe minimums for schools I'm applying to are in the 2.75-3.0 range and averages I believe are about 3.4-3.5.  I am actually not sure I included all my health classes or not.  Anyone have any good suggestions or easy ways to calculate gpas without having submitted your app yet and having CASPA do it for you?  I am definitely trying to solidify my personal statement the best I can too.  Thanks again for the feedback!

Thanks for your response! I believe minimums for schools I'm applying to are in the 2.75-3.0 range and averages I believe are about 3.4-3.5.  I am actually not sure I included all my health classes or not.  Anyone have any good suggestions or easy ways to calculate gpas without having submitted your app yet and having CASPA do it for you?  I am definitely trying to solidify my personal statement the best I can too.  Thanks again for the feedback!

You can go to any GPA calculator online to figure out what your science GPA is.

• 2 weeks later...

Update, I have about 4,381 direct patient care hours and still am working full time at the clinic I have been for the past 2 years with PAs, MDs, and FNPs.  I also will be starting another on call health care related job on the weekends.  I am close to hitting submit on my application and am looking for any last minute advice/positivity/recommendations/etc.  Any and all comments/criticisms/suggestions are appreciated, thank  you!!!

Archived