Taking the DHSc plunge...

DrPH is more of a management degree. Most PhD programs are more theoretical. the DHSc requires an applied research project after foundation coursework in epidemiology, biostats,global health policy, comparative international health systems, etc. It was (and is) pretty much exactly what I was looking for with regards to advanced training in global health. If I designed the program I would tweak it just a little bit to allow dual degrees like DHSc/MPH or maybe allow an emphasis in tropical or disaster medicine as well. these are some of the things I am mentioning in my current paper for the doctoral analysis course.

I think I read somewhere that you can get hospital management positions with a DHSc (even though someone like you who did it in global health). Do you have any info on that?

I think I read somewhere that you can get hospital management positions with a DHSc (even though someone like you who did it in global health). Do you have any info on that?

You can get management positions with almost any masters or doctoral degree beyond a PA degree. the question is, why would you want to....:)

I was offered a position as clinical medical director of a hospital in Ethiopia, but unfortunately could not talk the wife and kids into it...

You can get management positions with almost any masters or doctoral degree beyond a PA degree. the question is, why would you want to....:)

I was offered a position as clinical medical director of a hospital in Ethiopia, but unfortunately could not talk the wife and kids into it...

maybe for something once you are thinking about a retirement from the PA profession?

btw that ethiopia gig sounds nice...but wouldnt adjustment to the lifestyle been a prob for you?

btw that ethiopia gig sounds nice...but wouldnt adjustment to the lifestyle been a prob for you?

nope, I'm a pretty low-tech guy. cell phones are only for making calls, don't have a big TV, drive a basic stick shift car, like basic food, enjoy simple pleasures, and do very well in austere situations.I go to Haiti every year for 2 weeks and don't have hot showers, flush toilets, TV, internet access, etc while there. It's really nice to get away from all the frenetic technology demands of modern life. If single I would take this job in a minute. 

nope, I'm a pretty low-tech guy. cell phones are only for making calls, don't have a big TV, drive a basic stick shift car, like basic food, enjoy simple pleasures, and do very well in austere situations.I go to Haiti every year for 2 weeks and don't have hot showers, flush toilets, TV, internet access, etc while there. It's really nice to get away from all the frenetic technology demands of modern life. If single I would take this job in a minute. 

good for you man. hope it works out for you

• 1 month later...

recently back from Nepal and trying to catch up on the DA project. I have 27 pages done and 13 to go with 2 weeks to do them. still in SF for aapa conference and have been doing a bit every day around lectures. I work something like 12 out of the next 14 days, so will only be working, writing this paper, or sleeping until it is done. I had a nice chat with Dr.Kelly at the NSU booth in the exhibit hall. Anyone considering the program should drop her a line. She is very good at explaining the pros and cons of this degree compared to other similar offerings.

Working in Ethiopia would be amazing. As far as adjustments, you would have no problem. There are great international schools for kids and you can find everything you can think of especially if you live in the capital Addisababa. By the way how do you find jobs like this?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Working in Ethiopia would be amazing. As far as adjustments, you would have no problem. There are great international schools for kids and you can find everything you can think of especially if you live in the capital Addisababa. By the way how do you find jobs like this?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

mostly word of mouth. some posted on DHSc student forum.

Just finished the first draft of my doctoral analysis project. 51 pages. a few finishing touches and I will turn it in tomorrow.

It's been a rough week trying to meet this deadline after 17 unexpected days in Nepal and  working 12 of 14 days in a row doing 12 hr night shifts (still 4 to go) after returning from the aapa conference.

84 hours in the last 7 days. I'm beat.

Great job on the paper E. As for work, I feel your pain, I've been there. All you can do is keep moving foreword. At work I keep a picture of a bison swimming across a river. All you can see is the top of its nose, eyes and head as it struggles to cross.... Bison are very poor swimmers and they don't float. So moving foreword is the only option.   

Great job on the paper E. As for work, I feel your pain, I've been there. All you can do is keep moving foreword. At work I keep a picture of a bison swimming across a river. All you can see is the top of its nose, eyes and head as it struggles to cross.... Bison are very poor swimmers and they don't float. So moving foreword is the only option.   

moo.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just turned in the week 3 assignment for DHS 8400 global health issues. There is a nice pace and reasonable workload for this course, similar to global health policy and much more manageable than epidemiology. Basically each week requires a 2-3 page discussion posting on the topic of the week and a 1 page response to another student's post. References from peer reviewed sources must be included with each post. every other week there is an extended assignment of 6-8 pages on a specific global health issue such as the millennium development goals or human trafficking. There is a reaction paper on female genital mutilation and a student directed learning assignment, requiring a power point presentation as well.

The text for this course is well written and interesting. Overall, this is shaping up to be one of the best courses in the program.

On other DHSc related topics- I started the graduation process today. this requires sending Dr. Kelly a special form detailing everything you have done in the program, assuring fees are paid, transcripts are up to date, etc. You also need to fill out an intent to graduate form online. this all needs to be done fairly early during your last term if you want to graduate within that term and receive a diploma within a few weeks of completing your last course.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

a bit over 1/2 way through global health issues. I am really enjoying this class. Along with leadership, medical writing, and comparative international health systems, this is one of my favorite courses in the program. great textbook, reasonable assignments, and thought provoking discussions. It's required for folks on the global health pathway, but an excellent course nonetheless.

• 3 weeks later...

I've noticed an interesting change while going through the program over the last 4 years- at the start of the program I was worried about how to make papers long enough to meet minimum requirements, and now at the end of the program I find myself having to trim information out of my papers so that they do not exceed maximum length requirements. I suppose this says something about the development of my writing and research abilities. I think I also have a lot more to say about global health topics now due to a better understanding of the underlying issues.

Tomorrow is the last day of week 9 of my final 12 week class. I'm finishing up the last of 3 required critical analysis papers required in the course and still have a few discussion board assignments, a human trafficking project, and a student led seminar to complete.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Student seminar project turned in last night. One discussion posting to go. Just need to wait for another student to post one so I can write a response, then I am totally done with the program. I know there are other folks here doing the DHSc at Nova or elsewhere- feel free to continue this thread with your own experiencces. I will also respond to any questions folks post here about the program at Nova. I'm really glad I decided to do this. I've learned a lot about myself, my goals, and the field of global health. I started this whole process over 4 years ago after going for a long run and thinking about my future. I'm headed out for another run now.....

• Upvote 1