Taking the DHSc plunge...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Oh goodness, I think I would rather drive myself batty drawing Biochem pathways again and again and again and tests every Monday... ;)

it's not so bad. the reading/ topics are interesting and once you get the formatting down they are easier to write. my first several papers all had minor formatting errors on them but I think I have it dialed in now..

• 3 weeks later...
just turned in my last paper for course 2.

2 courses down, 14 to go.

the next course is less theory and more clinically focused.

More power to you; I officially became an MPAS today thanks to UNMC, and the only thing I can picture going back to school for now is something totally different from medicine:

http://extension.ucdavis.edu/unit/brewing/course/description/?type=A&unit=BR&SectionID=159507&course_title=Master Brewers Program&prgList=MBP&AreaName=Master+Brewers+Program

http://www.siebelinstitute.com/course_desc/wba_master_brewer.html

More power to you; I officially became an MPAS today thanks to UNMC, and the only thing I can picture going back to school for now is something totally different from medicine:

http://extension.ucdavis.edu/unit/brewing/course/description/?type=A&unit=BR&SectionID=159507&course_title=Master Brewers Program&prgList=MBP&AreaName=Master+Brewers+Program

http://www.siebelinstitute.com/course_desc/wba_master_brewer.html

congrats! I'm thinking when I'm done with the doctorate I'm going to take some fun courses like history of jazz, wine appreciation, etc

as well as an international medicine(overseas) course like this:

http://inmed.us/international_medicine/training_sites.asp

or if I have lots of extra cash lying around:

http://gorgas.dom.uab.edu/

no entry level programs offer a doctorate aside from wake forest(theirs is a pa/phd).

there are 4 DHSc programs in the u.s. and the army offers a DSc postgrad residency.

we will probably see some doctorate level entry level programs and more residencies offering a doctorate in the next few yrs.

a doctorate opens doors for teaching, administration, research and to some extent overseas work. also better pay in govt jobs.

the DHSc programs at atsu(arizona) and nova southeastern(florida) both attract pa applicants as well as mastered prepared folks from other health care fields( np, dentistry, etc) who wish to pursue a doctorate. you need good but not stellar grades to be considered for both and both require you to keep a B avg in the program. the stat is that 5% of pa's pursue a non-md doctorate at some point in their careers and around 5% return to medschool so around 10% of pa's using that logic end up with a doctorate of some kind before they retire.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

just had an opportunity to meet many of my classmates. it's an impressive group of folks with lots of epidemiologists from the cdc, high ranking military and public health service officers, pa's with incredible stories and prior practice and teaching experiences, docs(both md and do), naturopaths, etc. lots of students with international experience and backgrounds.

I am humbled and appreciative to be counted in this group. the professors are all nice folks in person and at the top of their fields.

next term I am taking a comparative international health systems course and am very much looking forward to it.

• Upvote 2

1 week/yr for 3 years. Can be done in 2 summers if you double up on course load but it's a bad idea in my opinion(at least for my situation). It's a lot of work for even 1 class. We had to come up with a referenced, professional quality 15 min presentation open to instructor and class scrutiny with power point/tables/etc in 2 days on a topic we had learned the day before.

I know you've mentioned it before E-

but what are your specific plans for using the DHSc?

(a good thing to hear for other members here who post about the advantaged of post grad education)

Opening new doors clinically/leadership?

Academics?

$$$ opportunities?

New thing to hang on your office wall?

certainly opens up doors for future govt service(cdc, public health service, state dept) as well as teaching opportunities at a higher level(full prof vs asst. prof, etc). more overseas positions with ngo's. a side issue, but one I considered, is even footing against a dnp in the eyes of an H.R. person who recognizes nothing besides highest degree.

I am genuinely interested in the subject of global health so if I am going to spend the money and time on coursework anyway I might as well get another degree. I considered an mph but already have a masters so can't see paying for a second masters when I can pay the same for a doctorate which covers much of the mph info(epidemiology, biostats, field projects, international health policy, etc