Taking the DHSc plunge...

Just wrote my last discussion posting in the program. I am now 100% done.

For other folks considering doing this, it is a very worthwhile endeavor, but requires considerable time management skills. you really can't put off writing a big paper abd hope to get it all done at the last minute. Many courses have weekly assignments and a few large papers, some 20-50 pages in length. you can't procrastinate when writing a large paper like this. you need to break it into manageable chunks. write an outline. give yourself a MINIMUM of 1 hour for each finished page and divide your project over the term. 36 page paper due last week of class? discipline yourself to write 3 pages/week, every week for 12 weeks. there really is no other way to do this and stay sane while working full time hours.

My course is officially over 9/20. the degree will be conferred 9/30. I will probably have it in my hands 11/15, but for all intents and purposes I am now Dr. Emedpa.

• Upvote 4

For other folks considering doing this, it is a very worthwhile endeavor, but requires considerable time management skills. you really can't put off writing a big paper abd hope to get it all done at the last minute. Many courses have weekly assignments and a few large papers, some 20-50 pages in length. you can't procrastinate when writing a large paper like this. you need to break it into manageable chunks. write an outline. give yourself a MINIMUM of 1 hour for each finished page and divide your project over the term. 36 page paper due last week of class? discipline yourself to write 3 pages/week, every week for 12 weeks. there really is no other way to do this and stay sane while working full time hours.

My course is officially over 9/20. the degree will be conferred 9/30. I will probably have it in my hands 11/15, but for all intents and purposes I am now Dr. Emedpa.

Congratulations! I'm still very much interested in that global health track. Give me a few years of paying for other things and I may tackle it. What are you going to do with all that free time now?

• Like 1

Congratulations! I'm still very much interested in that global health track. Give me a few years of paying for other things and I may tackle it. What are you going to do with all that free time now?

Well done Dr. E! Go celebrate - that's an order!

Heck, after reading what E went through with school maybe I should consider it too ... 

Free time for E is something like this  5TP3ZVt.gif LOL

• 4 months later...

Anyone else still on the DHSc journey right now?  I have completed 9 classes so far.  Took this semester off to relocate,  I feel like I am running on empty with motivation to get back into it.  Have 3 classes left and then I will do the internship, practicum, and doctoral analysis.  I have certainly learned a lot of good information during my experience so far.  I just wish there was something more to this program then paper writing. 

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

@EMEDPA I know it's been a while but congratulations once more!

I am interested in applying for the Lynchburg DMS program. I love school, if I'm taking courses, might as well make it count and be competitive. However, I am still paying off grad student loans and am not excited about the prospect of adding to it. 

Any tips on how to present this program as something my current employer would want to pay for? lol, I can see how they would be amenable to applying the $1500 yearly CME towards the tuition.  I am a dermatology PA. 

8 hours ago, mari29 said:

I am interested in applying for the Lynchburg DMS program. I love school, if I'm taking courses, might as well make it count and be competitive. However, I am still paying off grad student loans and am not excited about the prospect of adding to it. 

Any tips on how to present this program as something my current employer would want to pay for? lol, I can see how they would be amenable to applying the $1500 yearly CME towards the tuition.  I am a dermatology PA. 

Thanks. your organizational, time management, writing, research, and leadership skills will certainly improve by completing a doctoral program. Still happy I did mine. Now teaching part time and enjoying the experience.

10 hours ago, mari29 said:

Agree with what Emedpa says. Also, try to sell the individual classes rather then the degree. Meaning present the classes of patient safety, ethics, leadership, cultural diversity, etc... and how each will help improve your patient interactions, leadership skills, decision making, etc...

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 9/16/2015 at 7:24 PM, EMEDPA said:

Congratulations Dr. E.

I am starting the education concentration in January. I am excited about the start of the program and a little nervous about managing my time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1