Taking the DHSc plunge...

• 2 months later...
so after a long run today thinking over life options I decided to apply for a Doctorate program with an emphasis in global health.

I've been taking a global health and tropical medicine course at the local university over the last month and it reminded me how much I like being a student.

That's awesome, EMEDPA! I am not familiar with the DHSc degree but will not read up on it. I identify with the "i like being a student" thing" :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
one more term done! just turned in my final paper for comparative international health studies. great course.

just around 2 years to go now....

E, I hope you have mastered EndNote......that is the be all end all of paper writing. Luckily, I don't have to do literature searches anymore, I have a librarian do it for me, but she sends me the results in an endnote format. I simply review it, discard the ones I don't want, and then cite as I write, which is an awesome thing......simply click what reference you want where, and then choose your formatting when you are done.

You can also change formatting at any time. One paper, I recently submitted to Health Affairs, and they wanted uniform requirements. SO, clicked on that, and voila, the whole paper is formatted in uniform. They passed on the paper, as they thought it was a little too specific (sociologic theory) for their audience (more policy), and so I resubmitted to the Journal of Interprofessional Care.....well, they want APA 6th. So, I go to the CWYW (cite while you write) menu which is a pop up in your word document. I click on APA 6th, and voila, reformatted....5 seconds to do. Re-submitted....

For anyone who is writing a fair amount of papers, or is academically inclined.....EndNote is worth its weight in GOLD.....

• 1 month later...

Another term done. Just turned in a 29 page paper on The scientific evidence for acupuncture's efficacy with an attached power point teaching tool for introducing family medicine patients to acupuncture.

This paper and project was more work than either my undergrad or master's thesis.

I'm wiped. I'm now basically 1/2 way through with the program. still enjoying it and looking forward to a few global health electives.

next term I start to work on my internship project and travel to Haiti for 2 weeks.

Summer term is biostats and research methodology.

• 2 months later...
Well well well. Emedpa and DHSc. What a path. Hoping I can bring you over to the dark side soon. Lots going on and you can be part of it if you want. Email me. Ready?

about 1/2 way done with the DHsc. still have 2 yrs or so to go. we can chat about all of this when I see you in august

• 2 weeks later...

Just about 1/2 way through my second on campus summer institute now. I'm taking a required statistics and research methodology course. The course uses 3 books(including optional texts) + a computer program(IBM SPSS). The math is fairly straightforward but getting the outputs I want from the stats software is not. the program is neither intuitive nor user friendly but I'm getting it down and will do fine in the course I am sure.

I love stats and research.

but does it correlate with your ability to teach? and if so negatively or positively? please derive the pearson correlation coefficient and plot the association in a scattergram then comment on skew and kurtosis....wait, that was yesterday's homework....:)
did you have to use SPSS?

but does it correlate with your ability to teach? and if so negatively or positively? please derive the pearson correlation coefficient and plot the association in a scattergram then comment on skew and kurtosis....wait, that was yesterday's homework....:)

did you have to use SPSS?

hey, was just looking through your curriculum. this sounds like a cool course:

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]PAS590

[/TD]

[TD]Emergency and Disaster Readiness

[/TD]

[TD]2

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Remember, you can never prove your hypothesis. You can only reject your null. Which is what stats does.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

almost done with stats now. definitely harder than conflict.
having taken 2 out of the 3 summer institute courses now I think my strategy if I had known better up front would have been leadership and conflict together then stats by itself instead of my current plan of 1 course/summer x 3 years. oh well, live and learn. maybe this will help someone else.

• 4 weeks later...

almost done with stats now. definitely harder than conflict.

having taken 2 out of the 3 summer institute courses now I think my strategy if I had known better up front would have been leadership and conflict together then stats by itself instead of my current plan of 1 course/summer x 3 years. oh well, live and learn. maybe this will help someone else.

Yes, this will help others.  Thanks for keeping this thread going.  I start my first class 9/30 and I'm a bit nervous about diving back into school.  

that is a fairly easy course. if it is the same instructor as when I took it the students will be split into teams who will then have to present modules to the other students. There are online quizzes in the course which are developed by the student teams.

medical writing is a great course. I highly recommend it. I took my final paper from that course and got it published.

I am taking the internship course this term. I just opened the syllabus and it looks like I have a lot of writing to do this term.

• 3 weeks later...

About 25% of the way done with my internship class now. Next term global epidemiology.

I'm taking an entire term to write both my internship and practicum proposals. This allows me to also do my summer Haiti missions without missing coursework. I have found very few professors willing to let me take time off from the discussion boards to do medical missions work in an area without internet access. The notable exception to this was my medical writing instructor, Dr. Danielsen, who allowed me to turn in assignments around the 10 day medical mission. I would like it if more of the professors had this flexibility. Some told me that it was not possible to pass their courses if I took a single week away from the discussion boards.

Doing this means I take 4 years to finish the program if I double up on courses once. If not it will take 4 years + 1 term.