Re applicant personal statement

Hello. I am a reapplicant for the 2015-16 cycle. I worked really hard on my first essay from last cycle and don't necessarily want to change anything even though I know I can't submit the exact same PS. Do you think it's necessary to re-write most of my essay and just take a different direction?

I don't know if this helps, but it wasn't my PS as to why I didn't get in last cycle (at least I don't think it is) because I received multiple interviews -- so assuming adcom liked my essay.

You are more than welcome to submit the exact same personal statement, there is no requirement on this. Programs like to see how an applicant improved from a previous cycle but if there is nothing significant to add or change in your statement, you are welcome to input the same one on the application. 

Thanks,

Danielle

I've asked a lot of people about this and received different answers. Some have said to change only 15% of your PS, and some have said to write a completely new one. If you feel that your first PS was strong, maybe you could change 15% of it by stating what you've done differently to improve your app in the past year. Good luck! I'm a reapplicant as well

FWIW, I did not change my personal statement significantly when reapplying.   My motivation for pursing a career as a PA hasn't changed, nor has my personal history that went into my personal statement.  Why would changing my PS make sense?  I can't say it hasn't, but I've never seen that advice coming from anyone that actual serves on an AdComm ... only from other aspiring PAs.  Consider your sources.  That being said, it could very well have made a difference for someone else in their application, but that's hard to say.  Like you, I received multiple interviews and I have a pretty good idea where weaknesses in my application needed to be addressed.  I did that and I had substantially more interview requests and received multiple offers of admission to programs.  

I've said that I changed 10-15% of my PS because rereading it a year later, I noticed a few things I could say more clearly or more eloquently - typical when you reread something that much later after you first wrote it!  Without specifically referencing that I was a reapplicant, I also did add verbiage to highlight things I'd done in the past year or so to make myself a better PA and PA school applicant as well as to explain anything that might be questionable (e.g., why I was continuing to work in a non-medical field in the interim).  

Good luck!

Please do not see each deliverable in your application package as something to be checked off as "done." 

Your whole application package, including your personal statement, is essentially a marketing brochure to get you interviews. If, after a year, you still feel that it's perfect, then go with it. If you see areas for improvement -- like what you've been up to this past year that improves your changes -- then make some changes accordingly.

Good luck.

Please do not see each deliverable in your application package as something to be checked off as "done." 

Your whole application package, including your personal statement, is essentially a marketing brochure to get you interviews. If, after a year, you still feel that it's perfect, then go with it. If you see areas for improvement -- like what you've been up to this past year that improves your changes -- then make some changes accordingly.

Good luck.

I am not using my application package as something to be checked off as done. I believe that my interviews were my problem and I have been working on that throughout this past year. However, I don't think this is something that can necessarily be addressed in a PS, but something that is shown on my interviews if I receive invites again.

There have been some minor changes since interviewing last cycle -- new job (although I already had 4,000 HCE), more shadowing of PAs (which I will incorporate into my PS), and a genetics course. But I don't see any of these as being the real issue to begin with and also just don't want to include them as something just checked off as done because I re-applied, if that makes any sense.

Thank you.

Archived