Finding a job as a new grad - Is this a good idea?

Hi all,

I graduate in 2 months and I want to get the ball rolling on find a job after graduation. I want to find a job in dermatology and I don't see any postings for dermatology jobs in the city I want to work. Would any of you all think it's an ok idea for me to go to individual doctor offices and drop off my resume + cover letter at the front desk and tell the receptionist to give it to the office manager? That's kind of how I found my job before I started PA school (except I used email). Any advice would be appreciated! 

Just do it right.  Do a cover letter for the specific office you're cold-calling upon.  Call ahead, ask for the name of the office manager, CEO, etc so when you "drop by" you know their name, and the letter is addressed to them.  When you "drop by", make sure you are in interview attire. 

I actually did this several times as I was graduating.  There was one place that wouldn't even accept my letter/CV, a few places took it and talked with me, but didn't have any openings.  Another place (expanding urgent care center) gave me a job offer that was MUCH better than the other job offer I had in hand, and I was about to start with them when I got another offer at a great ED. 

The thing with that urgent care office is that they hadn't even thought about hiring PAs until I "dropped by".  I contacted them again about a year later asking about PRN work and they had hired 2 other PAs, and I started working there part time as well.

Archived