Evaluation - Does it matter how long ago you worked with the reference?

Hello! I am going back and forth about who should be my 3rd reference and would love some insight.

I have one from an MD/mentor, a recent science professor, and am thinking about approaching a registered dietitian (RD) who supervised me when I was working with patients with diabetes from 2009-2011. We still keep in touch and am confident he could provide me with a strong letter. However, I'm wondering would it matter that I worked with him long ago? 

Your insight is appreciated.

I don't know...personally if I was looking at your references I would go with something more recent. Although references never expire, I feel like your main 3 references should be as current as possible. You might consider using your RD letter as a 4th "additional" letter since you know it would be strong and they can speak to your character. Some schools require 3 letters but allow you to send additional letters if you want. You can use your RD letter for those programs perhaps...just my opinion!

I think it depends a lot on your ongoing relationship with the person as well. One of my references was the chair of my previous graduate committee. He and I also kept in touch ... and I felt he informally mentored me after I graduated. Also, although their first hand knowledge of you professionally may be dated, it can work to your advantage that they are still willing to speak highly of you ... along with the ongoing relationship.

Archived