Applying for January 2016 Start

Hi Gang,

I am in the pursuit of becoming a PA and South University-Savannah Campus was one of my top choices! Before applying, however, I had a few questions concerning South University's PA Program that I hope a current or former student could answer.

I have heard that students are responsible for locating and organizing their own clinical rotations. Is there any truth to this?

I have also heard that there has been issues with high attrition rates, with students having to repeat courses and ultimately having to pay extra tuition for courses they had to repeat. Is there any truth to this?

With the exception of these two things, I have heard really great things about the program. I would like to gain more insight about South University's PA program moving forward! 

Thanks in advance!!!

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a current student but during the info session part of the interview they went over these questions. The attrition rate is very low, IIRC the reasons were usually out of South's control (medical/family issues). They do have "remediation" courses for students that need help in certain areas, however. I don't recall them saying if many students took these courses.

The school organizes clinicals. The student is responsible for finding transportation and housing if the site is far away.

My memory might be a little fuzzy, but I'm pretty certain of these topics.

Not true. School has clinical sites set up. However, for your elective clinical (we have 1), things MAY be a little different- but that just depends on how picky the student is.

The PA program is 27 months with just a few short breaks and is very time consuming. As a result, someone with a significant family/ health problem is typically the reason that a student drops out. In regards to your specific question about having to "pay extra tuition for repeated courses"...If you do not pass a course with >70/ C you will be dismissed from the program- which I am pretty sure is the case with every PA program in the country. So this cant be true for the PA program.

-current student.

Hi Gang,

I am in the pursuit of becoming a PA and South University-Savannah Campus was one of my top choices! Before applying, however, I had a few questions concerning South University's PA Program that I hope a current or former student could answer.

I have heard that students are responsible for locating and organizing their own clinical rotations. Is there any truth to this?

I have also heard that there has been issues with high attrition rates, with students having to repeat courses and ultimately having to pay extra tuition for courses they had to repeat. Is there any truth to this?

With the exception of these two things, I have heard really great things about the program. I would like to gain more insight about South University's PA program moving forward! 

Thanks in advance!!!

Anyone else on the waitlist with me? Still not giving up! Patiently waiting :-)

Does anyone know how exactly the waitlist works? Do they wait until the end of all interviews before looking at the list? Or look at it as people decline, even though they may have more upcoming interviews?

I have an interview July 21/22 for South in Savannah. I am so anxious about interviewing and the fact that it feels like it is so far away!

How many people have applied multiple times to South? How many times?

I applied to South twice.  The first time I applied the day applications closed and the class was already full.  The second time I applied when CASPA opened and was accepted in the 2nd set of interviews.  Good luck!

Hi Gang,

Thanks in advance!!!

Current clinical student chiming in ...

You CAN set up some of your own rotations but it is not required.  There is an entire clinical team who does it for us.  All of my rotations (except my elective) have been set up by the team without difficulty.  

Second ... we haven't lost a single one of my classmates.  We are still 70 strong with 7 months to go.  No one has repeated courses at this point.  The class below us is still 70 strong as well.

I am not sure where you got your information from but that has not been my experience with the school at all.

Does anyone know if they are still doing interviews for this cycle?  I foolishly applied the day before the deadline and now it seems as though most people already know and/or the class is full so I'm starting to lose hope.  I haven't heard anything from South regarding my application and it seems to be impossible to reach them via phone.  Any advice?

Does anyone know if they are still doing interviews for this cycle?  I foolishly applied the day before the deadline and now it seems as though most people already know and/or the class is full so I'm starting to lose hope.  I haven't heard anything from South regarding my application and it seems to be impossible to reach them via phone.  Any advice?

I applied very early in the cycle and I haven't heard anything, either. I'm starting to wonder the same thing you are. Try emailing them instead of calling, maybe you'll have better luck getting a response. At this point, I'm guessing there's a good chance that even if I do receive an invitation to interview, it'll be for a spot on the waitlist. I hope I'm wrong, though! 

There "should" be a few more interviews scheduled - they haven't been cancelled as far as I know.  Last year when there were still interviews even though the class was technically full.  The school emailed anyone invited to those particular interviews and informed them that they would be interviewing for a wait seat.  I am in clinicals though so not on campus and don't know daily updates etc.  Don't lose hope yet!  I have several people in my class (Class of 2016) that were originally wait listed and later offered seats.  

I have a question for those who have attended previous interview sessions and the tour of Savannah. I had a friend apply last year and she wore business casual clothing for the tour then a suit for the interview. Was this consistent with your experience?

Absolutely. Just be sure you are presentable. The trolley tour was pretty humid and hot, so I'd recommend wearing something professional, yet comfortable.

I second that @HNguyen17. A tip for professional dress in hot weather is to wear natural fabrics such as cotton or wool blend in a suit. That will be breathable and keep you cooler than polyester. Best of luck and enjoy the interview. Everyone is very inviting :-)

Archived