Applying for January 2016 Start

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I received an interview to the Savannah campus and the Tampa campus within 24 hours of each other. I had already accepted the Savannah one for June 7/8, and the Tampa campus wanted me to come on the 9th. I asked them if there were other interview dates, and I'm now interviewing in Tampa on July 21. So I don't think there is much communication between the two but they work with you! Hope that helps!

Thank you the clarification! Good luck on both of your interviews :)

CASPA verified over a week ago but I have yet to receive an email from South stating they reviewed my application. How long did it take for you guys to receive an email from them once verified by CASPA?

Application received by South on June 3. I know I sent it in towards the end of May, can't remember the date. Then I received an interview invite on June 16.  hope it helps, good luck!

My application is currently being verified by CASPA.. Hoping I'll possibly get an interview invite.. I know it's kinda late now :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ BPB - I am a current student at South and I didn't submit my CASPA until end of July/early August. My interview was early September and I got in. You're definitely not too late! =) 

Good luck!!

I researched accreditation statuses, and while the PA program has continued accreditation through ARC-PA, the general university accreditation through SACS is under a sanction and placed on "Warning" status. In addition, the PA program is up for review in September (by ARC). These accreditation statuses are concerning, but I do not understand their implications fully. Is anyone aware of these statuses and their potential implications for a student about to enroll? If the university does not meet standards and reverse the Warning status, could the university and program be shut down?

"What will happen in December 2015? The SACSCOC Board of Trustees will consider the accreditation status of South University following review of a First Monitoring Report and financial statements addressing the standards cited above for non-compliance. The Board will have the following options: (1) remove the institution from Warning without an additional report or with a Fifth-Year Follow-Up Report; (2) continue accreditation and continue the institution on Warning, request an additional report, and, if needed, authorize a Special Committee; (3) continue accreditation and place the institution on Probation, request an additional report, and authorize a Special Committee; and (4) remove the institution from membership with SACS Commission on Colleges for failure to comply with the Principles of Accreditation. Commission staff will not speculate on what decision might be made by the Board of Trustees in December 2015."

If I were in the Class of 2017, I'd be terrified. At least prospective students would know by December 2015 before starting school in January 2016.

My interview is coming up :/ if I were accepted, I'm not sure if I'd put down a deposit to be honest...

Honestly considering not going to my interview now :|

Of course everything could turn out ok, but I'm spending hundreds on my flight, transportation and hotel costs. In addition, if I did get in, that's another $500... and you wouldn't know if you'd be able to attend in January 2016 until December of 2015?? I can't imagine getting prepared, signing a lease for an apartment, etc. only to wait months to find out less than 4 weeks from the program start if you'd be able to actually attend the school. I have two more (local) interviews so I'm really weighing my options at this point...

Ugh. I felt iffy about South (not the PA program) from the get go. I'm about to cancel my flight and hotel reservations. If I lived locally, I'd definitely attend for the experience.

Good luck to everyone! I really hope things work out for the program, current students, and potential future students. 

From the ARC-PA accreditation manual (http://www.arc-pa.org/documents/AccreditationManualPostgrad%20Standards%202ndedition%20July%202012%20fnl.pdf):

"The ARC-PA accredits only qualified clinical postgraduate PA programs offered by, or located within institutions chartered by and physically located within, the United States and where PA residents are geographically located within the United States for their education. Accredited clinical postgraduate PA programs must be established in a) schools of allopathic or osteopathic medicine, b) colleges and universities affiliated with appropriate clinical teaching facilities, c) medical education facilities of the federal government, or d) hospitals, medical centers or ambulatory clinics.

The sponsoring institution should either be accredited a) as an institution of higher education by a recognized regional or specialized and professional accrediting agency, b) by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC), c) by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitative Facilities (CARF) or, d) by the Joint Commission as a hospital/medical center or ambulatory clinic."

I don't think South fulfills b, c, or d (above). If the school is not regionally accredited, I think it will lose ARC-PA accreditation. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

@patobe123 I think that even with a warning sanction South maintains the regional accreditation so that criteria will be met at the time of the ARC review in Septmeber... As far as I understand. So the question would come in December. I am not sure what happens if they would lose their regional accreditation at that time.

Archived