January 2016 Start,

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I feel like I'm the only one posting on here, so I'm sorry if I sound annoying. I received an interview invitation last week and will be interviewing on June 20th. I'm flying from Reno, Nevada. Anyone else interviewing that day?

Sorry for not responding Rainy I have been pretty busy lately.  Reno is a very long way how did you find Bethel?  I actually have some family in Fernley and we made an annual trip out to ski.  I won't be there on the 20th because my school held my transcript for over three weeks before sending it to CASPA.  Needless to say I am very upset about that. Good luck and keep us all posted on your progress.

Sorry for not responding Rainy I have been pretty busy lately.  Reno is a very long way how did you find Bethel?  I actually have some family in Fernley and we made an annual trip out to ski.  I won't be there on the 20th because my school held my transcript for over three weeks before sending it to CASPA.  Needless to say I am very upset about that. Good luck and keep us all posted on your progress.

I was looking for a program that focused on rural healthcare and had volunteer opportunities/programs that I would be able to participate in. I was also looking for programs in small towns, and I liked that they're a Christian school. I have never been to Tennessee and this will be my first time. It is definitely far from home but I am very excited for the interview and have heard nothing but good things about the people in the area. :)

I like the Christian atmosphere as well.  They even do a mission trip for second year students.  I wish I was going to be there on the 20th and I could show you around a little.  Oh well when school starts we are bound to meet then.  I have been in close communication with the program and I really like what I am seeing from them.  

I like the Christian atmosphere as well.  They even do a mission trip for second year students.  I wish I was going to be there on the 20th and I could show you around a little.  Oh well when school starts we are bound to meet then.  I have been in close communication with the program and I really like what I am seeing from them.  

I am very impressed as well. Did you accept a later interview date? Do you live in the area?

Yes I am. I rented a car and will be staying in Paris Friday night then will be spending the rest of the day Saturday exploring the town. I'm staying with a friend in Nashville Saturday night and will be spending Sunday in Nashville as well before flying out at night. I'm so excited to explore the area. It's always been a dream to go to Nashville ;)

Waiting for the CASPA verification is painstaking... I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! 

You probably didn't need to schedule a whole afternoon to explore Paris!  Nashville is quite a bit bigger.  

I am so upset at my school because it took them three weeks to send my transcript.  Right now it looks like CASPA is getting the verifications done in 4-5 days.  I just want this over with so that I can plan for the next phase.  Did you apply to multiple schools or are all of your eggs in the Bethel basket?

You probably didn't need to schedule a whole afternoon to explore Paris!  Nashville is quite a bit bigger.  

I am so upset at my school because it took them three weeks to send my transcript.  Right now it looks like CASPA is getting the verifications done in 4-5 days.  I just want this over with so that I can plan for the next phase.  Did you apply to multiple schools or are all of your eggs in the Bethel basket?

I had that problem last year so I requested transcripts the day I opened my transcript... I know that pain. I applied to multiple schools. Bethel is the only one that isn't on the West Coast. None of the other schools have sent out interview invites yet, so I don't really know where I'll stand with them. Are you applying anywhere besides Bethel? What are your stats/history like just out of curiosity?

I have a 3.55 GPA and 313 GRE.  I worked at a medical office last summer and about 100 shadow hours.  My UG degree is in business so I had to take all of the prerequisites this past year.  I checked you profile and you were born two years AFTER I graduated high school!  I am putting all of my eggs in the Bethel basket because my wife and I own our own home and our two kids are in school here.  Trevecca is right here in town but they will start five months after Bethel and we think it would be better if I were away from the family through the week so that I can study.  Since Bethel is only two hours from home I will be able to spend time at home every weekend.

I have a 3.55 GPA and 313 GRE.  I worked at a medical office last summer and about 100 shadow hours.  My UG degree is in business so I had to take all of the prerequisites this past year.  I checked you profile and you were born two years AFTER I graduated high school!  I am putting all of my eggs in the Bethel basket because my wife and I own our own home and our two kids are in school here.  Trevecca is right here in town but they will start five months after Bethel and we think it would be better if I were away from the family through the week so that I can study.  Since Bethel is only two hours from home I will be able to spend time at home every weekend.

I definitely feel like I'm a very young applicant, and I'm worried that it may play against me in the applications process. My original intentions were medical school but after going through that interview process and really thinking about it I decided it wasn't for me and spent the last 3 years working and volunteering in multiple areas and fell in love with the PA profession. I can agree that it would be easier being away from distraction of home life during the week. It will be hard but in the end it will be worth it.

Bethel's stats for the Jan 2015 matriculation:

Class average for those matriculating in January 2015 Cumulative GPA 3.36
Healthcare Experience 3268 hours
Shadowing Hours
approximately 194

Science Hours 87

Average Age 2

GRE Scores – 306/4.1

I don't think your that young of an applicant when you look at the class that started in January.  Don't forget that just one or two applicants like me can push the average age pretty far to the right.  Obviously they think you have the potential or they would bring you in for an interview.  My wife and I met with Vanderbilt MD school and decided PA school was better.  Even with a short residency I would finish my education the same year my daughter graduated high school.  Not gonna happen I love my family to much!

My stats are above all of those averages which I'm sure helped my application. I just received a denial from my in state program today so Bethel just jumped up on my list quite a bit ;) I agree with your med school view, as a woman I was looking at when I would be able to have children or have a family and I just didn't see it happening with med school. PA is just such a better option for someone who wants or already has a family. The balance associated with that profession is very appealing! Keep me updated on your status for interviews... I hope to see you in January!

• 3 weeks later...

I received an interview invitation on June 1, however I am still finishing up the Genetics requirement and will not be able to interview until it is complete (The end of August). Are there any past applicants who went through a similar situation? If so, how did it work out? I am a little nervous interviewing so late in the cycle with the rolling admissions process. 

Archived