Did you complete the highly recommended courses prior to applying?

Hi Everyone!  I am new to the forum.  I am completing my final required prerequisite this summer and submitting my application in September.

How does everyone feel about the highly recommended courses?  Do you think they are meant to simply help the student be more successful in the program, or are they another chance to make your application as competitive as possible by completing them prior to applying?

There are 6 courses that are highly recommended.  I will have 4 of the 6 done before applying, but I am wondering if I should arrange my schedule to have all of them done prior to applying.

How many of you did 

Thanks!

• Administrator

There's really a continuum of benefit--both for success in the application process, and success in PA school itself.  Nothing is ever totally useless, because a 4.0 in basket weaving will still increase your cGPA.

Having said that, in a competitive environment like this year's PA application cycle, I would not expect to succeed without most or all of the 'recommended' courses finished, because the program will have a large pool of candidates who have self-selected to apply for the program in part because they meet the desired courses, both prerequisites and recommended ones.

I recommend any applicant keep taking as many science courses as they can while maintaining at least a 3.8 in new coursework (4.0 if you need to bring your GPA up), so that if they don't make it in one year, their next year's application package will be that much stronger.  If you run out of biology to take, take more chemistry, or botany, or psychology, or a language.  Being a PA is a field where diversity of education and training can really benefit an applicant.

Thank you!  My plan was to take the extra chemistry in fall and medical terminology in the spring - but both would be too late to help the application.  I agree that more science would help me in the program, which is why I want to take them either way.  But I agree with what you are saying- I am going to try to do at least one of them during the summer.  My science GPA is only 3.75 so I really need the extra credits anyway to help raise it.  Thanks! :)

Archived