certified diabetic educator (CDE) certification - lucrative or not?

My manager approached me today to excitedly inform me that she suggested me when a diabetes rep came in and mentioned her company will provide free CDE training for a provider in our office. I do really like endocrinology but don't want to work in Endo due to the lower salaries (kind of burnt out right now on long hours and low compensation as it is in family med). I'm trying to read between the lines and see if this is something that would actually benefit me or only benefit the hospital and my workplace. I have a very busy patient schedule and family medicine and work long days and already feel quite underpaid. I like many aspects of family medicine but that one is not one of them. I guess I'm a little bit worried that if I do this training I will have an increased workload but really nothing financially to show for that. Has anyone out there done this? Worth it or not? I kind of feel like this would be something for a nurse and not something that will be financially beneficial for a physician assistant's career. Huge thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some advice or perspective on this.

I would not pay a PA to do in depth diabetes education visits. The CDE's I know are either LPN or RD. To be honest RD's are very good at this probably better than a PA given all the diet modification strategies and education. It would help you in the sense that you would gain some extra teaching points. I wonder how much a CDE really expands on a PA's knowledge base. 

• Upvote 1
Guest Paula

CDEs are RNs, RD, PAs, NP, Pharmacists and a few others qualify to take the CDE exam.  LPNs do not qualify.  The RN and RD CDEs in my office get lots of referrals from me and they manage the insulin dosing, teach carb counting and insulin dosing, teach on the use of pumps, self-monitoring blood sugar testing techniques and strategies to achieve good control, teach on treating what to do during sick days and much, much more.   They relieve my work load a lot as I don't have time for the in-depth teaching needed.  They work under a standing order for patients they are sent and do a great job making insulin adjustments and suggesting medication changes that will help the patients.

I considered getting my CDE but after talking to my RN CDE friend she said to not bother because the reimbursement for it is not really there, if at all for her.  The RD can bill out for medical nutrition therapy under some insurance plans, not highly reimbursed.  I do not know if there are any rVUs associated with diabetes education and management.   I am seeing patients anyway and bill for what I do and I need to continue to see patients, not do all the education.  I suppose if your office has rVUs for each visit it might be different. 

After 3 years at my old job doing it all, diabetes education, PA, social worker, medical guru, drug counselor, emergency medicine PA, etc., etc,.  on the rez I am so happy to delegate some of this to the team members in my new job in a larger system and medical practice.  It really relieves a lot of stress and burnout to have others shoulder the load and responsibilities with you. 

Plus you will need to have 4,000 hours ( or so) of direct diabetes care before taking the test, costs about $250 last time I checked and you have to keep up CEUs and re-certify every 5 or 10 years.  Don't you have enough to do with keeping all your PA CMEs and new 10 year cycle PI/SA CME?  That was another reason why I decided against taking the test.  I had the hours of patient care but there is so much more to the test...than medical knowledge. 

I can already do more than a CDE.  In fact, I give orders for a CDE to do my grunt work, ie spending hours teaching diet, insulin injections, blood glucose monitoring, exercise, etc.  For me to do that myself would be a waste of my time, as I would not get reimbursed well.  I can see a dozen patients in that time.  I'm not dissing, as I utilize our hospital's CDE frequently.  I'm just saying...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By SDPA19
      Is there equivalent SAFE training for PAs as SANE training for nurses?
      If not, does our collaborating physician need to be trained in sexual assault exams, in order for us to perform them?
      After hours of internet searching, I have only found that PAs can perform them, but no specifics on requirements. 
    • By Nicolehant1814
      Anyone can pursue a career as an athletic trainer! However, there are a handful of requirements that need to be completed prior to entering into clinical practice as an athletic trainer.
      Successfully complete the curriculum within an accredited Athletic Training Program Earn a degree from an accredited Athletic Training Program Pass the Board of Certification (BOC) Exam – this is the National certification exam that establishes the profession’s health care credential Complete your state’s credentialing process – this is often in the form of licensure or additional certification
    • By BJessee
      I am looking for some insight from any PA practicing in outpatient psychiatry, especially is TN or VA
      I heard from a colleague that there has been some issue with reimbursement in the outpatient psychiatry realm that is specific to PA services
      I wondered if anyone currently practicing in this specialty or anyone with knowledge about the situation could weigh in. 

Are PAs reimbursed at the normal rate or at a decreased rate?
      Are there discrepancies between reimbursement for medicare/Medicaid and commercial insurers?
      Thank you all in advance!
    • By SDPA2019
      Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone here recommends a good derm filler program, PRP, botox---aesthetic programs. I am at a self taught type of practice. I did get trained on Botox and with experience now I feel pretty confident in my skills. I am still a little nervous when it comes to fillers and feel that I need an actual training from a reputable program. Anyone here that have gone through these programs and found it helpful in their practice? I have some patients who are interested but want to make sure I am trained appropriately!!
      I am in California and willing to travel anywhere. But I will be paying out of pocket so trying to do my research before the big purchase. thank you so much! 
    • By surgblumm
      In this day of selivering bad news, I thought that this article that I saved from last year would be a great refresher. Food is food regardless of the source.

The Rules for Delivering Bad News to Patients

August 27, 2019

The Watercooler: Career Advice

The Bookbag: Education

The Rounds: Clinical Considerations

General

0 Comments

I've talked to some colleagues recently who've been a little down about their roles as nurse practitioners. Working in family practice, they have found themselves in the position of delivering bad or upsetting news to their patients. Cancer diagnoses were fortunately made rather than missed, but letting a patient know they've got a serious, life-altering illness or condition is tough, not to mention, this is not something most of us as NPs learn to do in school. 

Have you ever found yourself in the position of delivering difficult news to patients? How did you feel? Having such conversations as nurse practitioners can make us anxious or awkward. Some of us approach these discussions emotionally while others appear detached and robotic in their delivery of the news. Delivering bad news is an unavoidable part of our jobs as nurse practitioners but that doesn't mean we get used to it. Fortunately, however, conducting serious conversations is a skill that can be learned and there are many guidelines out there to help healthcare providers hone this skill set. 

Rule #1: Know what constitutes bad news

Sometimes I share information with a patient that I perceive as not a big deal. Then, the patient starts to freak out. Or cry. Or to have some other sort of emotional reaction that I didn't anticipate. Bad news doesn't have to be a terminal diagnosis. It can be related to anything surrounding a diagnosis such as timing, personal or professional consequences. Breaking a metatarsal and wearing a boot, for example, may not be too bad in the grand scheme of things, but breaking your foot the day before your wedding is pretty disappointing. 

Rule #2: Full disclosure is best

In the past, healthcare providers operated on a more guarded front. In the 1800's, for example, the American Medical Association even encouraged physicians to avoid sharing news that discouraged patients. Today, however, studies (not to mention ethics!) show that most patients prefer full disclosure. It's our duty as nurse practitioners to share up-front, honest information rather than sugar coat our delivery with excessive optimism, withhold details, or give false hope. Share news with the patient directly rather than directing it toward family members. Honest, trustworthy information is empowering! 

Rule #3: Prepare yourself

Anticipate the conversation you're about to have with your patient. You may even wish to practice your delivery with a colleague. Prepare yourself to feely badly as you share the news. And, don't forget that silence is OK. Avoid the temptation to fill gaps in your conversation rather let the patient process and take the time to formulate questions. 

Rule #4: Frame the conversation

Framing the news you're about to share is essential. Your patient may or may not be expecting to hear something difficult. And, the way you set up your conversation has an impact on the patient's reaction. Using the word "serious" (ex. "I have some serious news to share...") is better than using the word "bad". "Serious" creates a more constructive framework that inspires action and empowerment as opposed to the word "bad" which indicates the situation is helpless. Even if you're delivering a terminal diagnosis, your patient can choose how to react and what steps they wish to take in response. 

Rule #5: Think SPIKES

There are a few well-known methods for delivering serious news to patients, my favorite of which is the SPIKES method. This algorithm lays out considerations for nurse practitioners and other healthcare providers in these situations. Here's the SPIKES protocol:  

Setup - Think through the conversation you're about to have, anticipating questions the patient might ask beforehand. Prepare for an emotional reaction. Gather any necessary resources that might be helpful for the patient. 

Perception - Gauge the patient's understanding and perspective on the news you have shared. This is best accomplished by asking questions like "What did you take away from what I just shared with you?" or "What are your expectations of treatment?". This way you know you are both on the same page as far as understanding the medical outlook, next steps and goals. 

Invitation - Encourage the patient to think further about their care going forward. Find out how much information the patient wants about his or her medical condition as well as who he/she would like to be included in decision making such as family members. 

Knowledge - This step has to do with how you as a provider deliver information. The best practice is to deliver the headline first, followed by the details. Communicate using language that matches the patient's level of education and medical knowledge. Be direct in your delivery, avoid skirting the main message. 

Empathy - Understandably, patients get emotional about serious news. Anticipate such a reaction and display empathy. Naming the patient's emotions can help. Asking "Can you tell me more about what you mean by that?" will also help you determine how the patient feels about the situation. 

Summarize and Strategize - Make a plan for the next steps in both treatment and communication with your patient. Express support and encourage the patient to tell friends and family the news to develop a personal support system. Talk about how the patient can act on this news to accomplish his or her treatment and lifestyle goals going forward. 

Have you ever delivered bad news to a patient? How did it go?

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More