I start PA school this fall, and I am extremely excited.  Extremely excited!  

In my program, after 4 semesters of preclinical studies, we will rotate through 7 clerkships, and finish with 2 elective rotations. I expect that during school, my experiences will shape my decisions-but I am unable to resist the urge to plan now.  I look at these extra rotations as an opportunity to refine my top-choices for specialty, if I haven't already.  Here are the 7:

Family Medicine Clerkship   Internal Medicine Clerkship   General Surgery Clerkship   Pediatric Clerkship   Geriatric Clerkship   Obstetrics and Gynecology Clerkship   Emergency Medicine Clerkship   Elective I   Elective II

My top goal after PA school is to join a DMAT team, and while I wouldn't entirely pick a specialty based on my extra-curricular career, it will be a consideration.  From what I have gathered the specialties of emergency medicine, general surgery, family practice and critical care would all be advantageous.  I am aware that needs would be team-dependent and assume that most teams are looking for experience(years), not fresh out of school.

SO.  Can anyone tell me what specialities have been or are attractive towards DMAT team management?

Additionally with that specialty in mind, what would be a good elective to pursue?

-Thanks ladies and gentlemen

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Gilyprepa
      Hey everyone, there are still tickets available for those who are interested in the Loma Linda PA program. We have changed our event from zoom to being ON CAMPUS. There will be prizes raffled off. Due to some restrictions still being in place, the tickets that are being sold will only allow one person per ticket. More info on the flyer and event bright website. Thank you so much! Hope to see you there. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/llus-3rd-annual-pre-pa-conference-tickets-145958073527
      prePA conference final draft flyer On CAMPUS.pdf
    • By jcrispy
      Hello all,
      Long time reader, first time posting. I recently secured a job at a vascular surgery practice working with 2 different surgeons. The job includes working in all clinical settings (OR, inpatient, ICU, and clinic), but I am especially excited to be in the OR. My start date is at the end of August so I will have some down time before my first day. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to how I can prepare so I can put my best foot forward when I start. Books, online material, videos etc. (I am open to anything really). I do understand that the first year, as a new graduate, can be tough especially starting off in a surgical specialty.
      Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
    • By PA2104
      Hello, 
      I am a relatively new neurosurgical PA in Las Vegas, NV. 
      Recently one of the hospital systems we cover (Valley Health System, UHS) here in Las Vegas informed me that in order to gain first assist privileges in their hospitals, I will be required to have a separate first assist certification. If I were to have gotten my privileges completed one month earlier, I would have just been grandfathered in. What confuses me most is that at a few of the hospitals, they are allowing me to have the first assist privileges until my next reappointment in over a year whereupon I will then need to have the certification then to continue having the privilege. At other hospitals within the same system they are not allowing me to have the privileges at all. 
      I have reached out to the AAPA and they drafted a letter to send to several people within the organization, but I have not heard of any response yet from anyone within the Valley Health System.
      Has anyone else every seen/heard anything like this before? In my opinion it does not make sense and downplays any surgical training we get during school or thereafter. 
      I appreciate any other thoughts, idea, or opinions. 
    • By vjaniceb
      Hi there, my name is Vanessa and I just graduated with my bachelor's in February. I am looking to pursue into a PA program but not quite sure where to start. I am currently studying for the GRE and have about 250 internship hours done at an ENT clinic with an audiologist. I'm not sure in what I am doing and need any guidance or suggestion in what to do. 
    • By Nicolehant1814
      Anyone can pursue a career as an athletic trainer! However, there are a handful of requirements that need to be completed prior to entering into clinical practice as an athletic trainer.
      Successfully complete the curriculum within an accredited Athletic Training Program Earn a degree from an accredited Athletic Training Program Pass the Board of Certification (BOC) Exam – this is the National certification exam that establishes the profession’s health care credential Complete your state’s credentialing process – this is often in the form of licensure or additional certification

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More