Billing and reimbursement for procedures

Hello, I'm a recent grad with my first job in interventional radiology. I am the first PA the group has worked with, and we are experiencing growing pains as we try to navigate the billing for the procedures I will be doing.

Procedures: paracentesis, thoracentesis, thyroid biopsies, PICC insertions, lumbar punctures, myelograms, arthrograms. Fluoroscopy: MBS, UGI, esophogram, BE, VCU, HSG.

For now, I will be doing the procedures and the rads will be dictating the interpretation report. Obviously I will document a procedure note in the EMR. I'm learning about S&I codes. Someone has said they will bill for the S, procedure part I do, at 85% and then the I, interpretation part the rad does, at 100%. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I feel responsible to make sure what I do gets billed accurately, and that I'm bringing in as much money as possible.

Any advice from personal experience with the topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Archived