Where do I even begin?

I've been making lists of what to include in my narrative, but I can't seem to create a fluid sounding essay. I want to explain why my gpa has fluctuated, I want to explain how my hands on patient contact has influenced my life, I also want to explain that I have been through hardships without sounding like I'm asking for a pity party, and on top of all of that I want the readers to understand that all of this has led me to wanting to work in a clinical setting as a PA engaging with patients and not only caring for them, but creating solid trusting relationships with them. I feel like I'm all over the place. Anyone in a similar situation? Or some wise words of advice? 

1. Make a basic outline before you begin, making sure you hit whatever points you want to make 2. If you're writing your essay and you're not happy with it, scratch the whole thing, take a break, then come back to the process ...Those are the two big things that really helped me. I knew I had a good story to tell, but I wasn't sure I was telling it well.

Personally, I started with a by doing a stream-of-consciousness draft. Typed what felt right, in a simple, colloquial voice that was unmistakeably my own. From there I determined the tone and some of the anecdotes that I wanted to highlight.

After that 1st draft, I bounced off ideas with people who were close to me (boyfriend, sister, etc.) about other things I wanted to mention - stories that were not elaborated upon in my CASPA application, anecdotes about patient interaction, etc. I made a quick outline of all the stories in my life that I thought were interesting/relevant, just to have them on hand.

I also read extensively other personal statements out there. I read many of the PS on here, as well as on blogs and other websites. I found the PS on MCW.edu very helpful, as well as the student testimonials on Methodist University's website very insighful for the ideas, tone, and themes I wanted to emulate.

Also, from writing and re-writing multiple times (I went through 14 drafts total), I realized I had a lot of material, so I had to be absolutely ruthless and cut out what wasn't necessary. I'm talking about that paragraph-long anecdote that I spent an hour polishing? Yeah, condensed down to 1-2 sentences. Be rutheless. Just because I liked the way a story sounded didn't mean I had to keep it in. It was hard but it made for a better, concise PS. My sister, who is a unapologetic editor, helped me with this, so I recommend finding someone who will help you edit your statement without emotional attachment.

I would think the most beneficial thing to do is to just start writing. It doesn't have to be great. Just get your ideas onto paper and see where it takes you. It's probably the hardest part to start, but once you do, it goes by quickly (I think I did my first draft in a couple hours 1 night; just hammered it out quickly because I wanted to get out all I had to say in one fell swoop). So...

Just. Start. Writing. Who cares if it's disjointed and crazy sounding. The sooner you get started, the closer you get to finishing your application. 

Archived