Financial Aid-Has anyone else conacted them?

Has anyone else called and spoke with the Financial Aid office?

I called this morning using the number they provided in the acceptance letter, 313-993-3350. The woman on the phone said we wouldn't be receiving our award information until the orientation, July 15th. Does this seem a bit late to anyone else?

Prior to being accepted to UofD I had planned to attend a program in Philadelphia and they sent my financial aid award information right away. The award didn't come close to covering all costs, but they were giving us plenty of time to find private lenders to supplement the deficit.

The woman on the phone assured me the award would cover everything.......am I missing something here? The Phili school was a state university, UofD is private, does that make a difference?

I also spoke to them and the woman I spoke to said they review all financial aid applications in the order they arrived.  Since we are literally about the last ones they will be receiving, she told me the end of June, I guess July would also be about right.

Also, as I am looking into paying for school, I do not see the benefit of using financial aid from the Feds.  Private loan rates are better with no initiation fees, payback times are the same or longer and they do have limited forgiveness options.  Do you know any reasons to even take federal aid over private?

I honestly haven't looked into it that much as of yet.....originally I had planned to wait and see how much my award was before I went looking for additional aid. However, if I'm not getting that number until July I'll probably look into private lenders sooner.

I did speak with a friend who is in B2B banking who gave me some food for thought:

It's really all about the interest rate and term of the debt, right? If you can get lower payments through private funding and over a certain amount of years that you're comfortable with, then that is what matters. I know that federal loans don't require you to pay anything until you graduate, I don't know if it's the same with private. I also don't know if private requires collateral at all.

The only consideration I would make is that the federal student loan bubble has to pop some how and at some time, and it might result in the federal government just waving a certain amount of loans over a certain amount of time, much like they did with mortgages. In that case you would get a bunch of your loans forgiven and free. Its not like that is something you can count on happening, but the chance is out there.

The last bit there is obviously anecdotal, but that's all the information I've sought out thus far......hoping to do some more research in the next couple of weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else called and spoke with the Financial Aid office?

I called this morning using the number they provided in the acceptance letter, 313-993-3350. The woman on the phone said we wouldn't be receiving our award information until the orientation, July 15th. Does this seem a bit late to anyone else?

Prior to being accepted to UofD I had planned to attend a program in Philadelphia and they sent my financial aid award information right away. The award didn't come close to covering all costs, but they were giving us plenty of time to find private lenders to supplement the deficit.

The woman on the phone assured me the award would cover everything.......am I missing something here? The Phili school was a state university, UofD is private, does that make a difference?

July does seem very late. Especially, since we will be starting in August (I think) . I was hoping they gave us more information about financial aid and also about when classes would start and the schedule.

I was unofficially told that classes will start August 24th.   I am foggy about the schedule but for the 2 year program it looks like scheduled class is 1/2 days Mon, Wed. Full days Tues, Thurs and Fridays off, plus various online courses.  We shall find out July 15th...  If you have any specific questions before then, don't hesitate to call Rahima.  She is super nice and will answer anything she can.

I was unofficially told that classes will start August 24th. I am foggy about the schedule but for the 2 year program it looks like scheduled class is 1/2 days Mon, Wed. Full days Tues, Thurs and Fridays off, plus various online courses. We shall find out July 15th... If you have any specific questions before then, don't hesitate to call Rahima. She is super nice and will answer anything she can.

Thanks. I just asked Rahima about the start date and she said August 31.

Archived