Chances thread, also question on specializing?

So I'm 28 and this is my second time applying. Last year my science gpa was just below a 3. (I messed up when I was younger.) When I graduate this year it should be a 3.19-3.22. I have 4 years experience as an Emt doing 911,two of which were for FDNY. I think I have a good statement and references. I'm also planning to take the gre and I've been shadowing an ER doc.

How are my chances with my gpa? I don't stress over much if anything but this kills me.

Also, I have a particular interest in cardiology and emergency medicine. How does one specialize? I had a pa buddy who specialized in cardiology but I'm not sure what he did to get that.

Thanks!

Just apply to ED and Cardiology jobs when you graduate. I "specialized" in surgery by accepting a job in surgery. 

If you're really worried about it, I'm sure there will be some great suggestions here for residencies or tailored elective rotations, etc.

No comment on the GPA. Depends entirely on where you're applying and whether you're a good fit for the program.

I think the improvement in your GPA will be viewed as a positive by schools! It takes a lot to raise a GPA from below a 3 to a 3.19-3.22. Be sure to add what you did to increase your grades to your personal statement! Also, your 4 years of EMT experience should help majorly! Good luck!

I think the improvement in your GPA will be viewed as a positive by schools! It takes a lot to raise a GPA from below a 3 to a 3.19-3.22. Be sure to add what you did to increase your grades to your personal statement! Also, your 4 years of EMT experience should help majorly! Good luck!

Thanks. To be honest, whenever I look at my application I get depressed. I've been a firefighter and EMT and nothing really bothers me or stresses me out, except this.. ha

Your perseverance and experience should get you in somewhere. 

As far as cardiology goes, being a medic and having done an optional rotation in cardiology was all it took to get an interview. Been doing it now for 9 years.

Good luck!

Archived