UF Class of 2018

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UF does not do a rolling admission. There are usually 6 or 7 groups of 20 or so interviewees every couple of weeks. Some people will find out sooner than others, but there are always enough spots available in the class at the time of the last interview group. So technically everyone is still interviewing for a spot and not a spot on the wait list. For the most part, many of us found out in December when the preliminary class was finalized. From there some were pulled off the wait list as others decided to attend other schools. So to answer your question, it's not true although you *could* hear back in 60 days or less.

Don't get too worked up just yet. The whole process is a lot of "hurry up and wait."

So generally, if a school offers one a spot, one must then put down a non-refundable "deposit" to secure one's spot within a certain amount of time after acceptance. Correct? My worry is that applications themselves are a serious drain on my bank account. I'm having to work overtime every week just to apply to one school at a time. UF is my first choice. The nightmare would be being accepted to another school, not knowing what's going on with UF, submitting a non-refundable "deposit" to secure a seat elsewhere, then a month later being accepted to UF and not able to go because I've already spent too much money.  

So generally, if a school offers one a spot, one must then put down a non-refundable "deposit" to secure one's spot within a certain amount of time after acceptance. Correct? My worry is that applications themselves are a serious drain on my bank account. I'm having to work overtime every week just to apply to one school at a time. UF is my first choice. The nightmare would be being accepted to another school, not knowing what's going on with UF, submitting a non-refundable "deposit" to secure a seat elsewhere, then a month later being accepted to UF and not able to go because I've already spent too much money.

Unfortunately that's how it works. For everyone. For pretty much every school. You could potentially pony up a LOT of money. Or you could (should) only apply to schools you are willing to attend. FWIW the deposit at UF is only $200 I think, compared to $1000 at many others. So set aside $200 now so you can accept UF at any time and then use the rest of your money as needed for applications or deposits.

MT2PA is right. It becomes a chess match of sorts. I would rank your schools on ones you would most likely attend. You can then use that ranking to budget interviews/acceptances so you are not throwing money at schools you aren't likely to attend. You also have plenty of time to save now and make the fees less of a burden down the road.

There are also a few who are accepted a week or two after their interviews. If you completely nail the interview and get a call the next week, you wont even have to worry about the dilemma.

Hope this helps/

On a positive note... According to the previous forums... UF starts calling peeps for interviews starting this week. OMG!! I will be staring at my phone from now until December lol ???? Good luck all, may the phone calls commence!

Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk

First of all, don't apply to any schools that you wouldn't seriously consider attending. That is the biggest waste of money. Second, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush so if you are offered a seat somewhere else before you hear from UF, then I suggest you pay their deposit and reserve it. Yes, you might later get accepted to your first choice and lose that other deposit. That's just the cost of doing business. Finally, if that is the case for you and you are a Florida resident just know that your tuition at UF is lower so even if you lose your deposit to other schools, in the end you will get a fine education for less money.

First of all, don't apply to any schools that you wouldn't seriously consider attending. That is the biggest waste of money. Second, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush so if you are offered a seat somewhere else before you hear from UF, then I suggest you pay their deposit and reserve it. Yes, you might later get accepted to your first choice and lose that other deposit. That's just the cost of doing business. Finally, if that is the case for you and you are a Florida resident just know that your tuition at UF is lower so even if you lose your deposit to other schools, in the end you will get a fine education for less money.

I just want to be accepted at any cost ;)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I got my email today saying my application has been reviewed and is being forwarded to second level review! Next step, hopefully an interview!!

Yay me too! I was getting a little worried that I was the only one receiving these emails. Congrats!!!

It's probably to try and figure out if the class meets the prerequisite requirements. Think of it this way, they want more information instead of just assuming what the class is about and judging your application from there.

I had a few classes that weren't very clear, so I sent them more info just to be sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Guest tpa18

I just received the second-level review email as well. Go Gators!

Hi Alexis1021, when did you receive the first email about your app being forwarded to the adcom for review? Thanks! 

Just to give y'all some more general timing information, the first interview is usually in late August or early September, depending on the academic calendar for the Fall. I was invited to the first interview group (applied in early June) and was called in early August.

Do you remember if you got all these emails including a second level email, or is this something new since CASPA has changed?

I just went back through my emails. I only received a forwarding to admissions committee email last year once my supplemental had been received. We are in midterm mode now and they haven't even began to talk about interviews, so I can't pinpoint a timeline. I think they typically begin in early September.

Archived