Average hours of week and number of weeks input

Does anyone else find issue with the way CASPA wants us to input our experience, whether it be volunteer, research or HCE? Especially with volunteering, it may not be every week or even every month that I get hours and so I'm wondering how everyone else is handling this. I wish it would just ask us to input our total hours period. Let's discuss.

I had the same question. I emailed the director and this is what she said:

"For your volunteer hours, please enter the most accurate information that you can. You can average amount your total hours and enter as weeks and hours in that section so you come up with the total. In the explanation box, you can explain your duties and responsibilities, as well as how your schedule worked. However, programs won't care so much about that vs. what you actually did in the position and the total amount of hours you obtained. "

From the FB page I found this:

Central Application Service for Physician Assistants Hi Nicole, list your status as Per Diem as opposed to full time, part time, etc. This indicates your hours are expected to be widely varied. You still have to enter something in the hours section, so make your best choice. You can then explain in the text box your actual time commitment.

One thing to remember is the raw numbers from CASPA are calculated in the PAEAs annual report and these are the metrics they are now reporting as far as the average applicant's hours of experience. So, there has to be some kind of uniformity for the data to make sense. I think that's why the categories are set up the way they are.

The calculation method was implemented because there were many errors on the past application where applicants could just free-hand their hours. Therefore, the auto-calculator was added. With that, we know that not all experiences are weekly and consistent - as do programs - so you should calculate your total hours and then divide that up by week and hours in order to input it correctly. This will not harm anything on your application as programs are aware of how this process works. 

Thank you,

Danielle

Archived