PA School and Tattoos

This question is intended for anyone who is currently in PA school or has been in the past. Are people pretty open about their tattoos while in PA school? or do they keep them concealed at all times? I am debating going for a 3/4 sleeve. Keep in mind that I understand tattoos remain a bit of a taboo in our culture. 

• Administrator

If you're male, they don't see 'em at an interview unless you're wearing very non-traditional attire.  Several of my classmates were quite obviously tattooed if wearing informal clothing, but all of them covered up adequately in formal wear.  I doubt seriously anyone would care.  On an inpatient rotation in scrubs, you may be inclined to keep your white coat on, as some may see the tats and assume you're something other than a PA student, but I'm not sure I'd even endorse your fears about tats remaining taboo.  I have yet to see anyone under 30 who has a problem with them, and most of the younger generation of firefighters/EMTs I work with (<25) have some ink somewhere.

If you're male, they don't see 'em at an interview unless you're wearing very non-traditional attire.  Several of my classmates were quite obviously tattooed if wearing informal clothing, but all of them covered up adequately in formal wear.  I doubt seriously anyone would care.  On an inpatient rotation in scrubs, you may be inclined to keep your white coat on, as some may see the tats and assume you're something other than a PA student, but I'm not sure I'd even endorse your fears about tats remaining taboo.  I have yet to see anyone under 30 who has a problem with them, and most of the younger generation of firefighters/EMTs I work with (<25) have some ink somewhere.

Thank you for the quick response. That has definitely put my mind at ease. I currently have a 1/2 sleeve but would like to go a bit further. I figured it would be fine since the PA profession doesn't strike me as a t-shirt sort of job. Covering up may be tedious, but definitely manageable. 

Archived