2015-2016 University of Utah Application Thread

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should know that the questions on the supplemental are confidential, and anyone who completes the secondary application must agree not to disclose the topics.

The purpose of giving an applicant questions without letting them prep is to see how well they write on the fly. Let's face it, if you can't do that, you aren't ready for graduate level education...

Its also very upsetting that you are comfortable violating the honor code. I see that you have posted the same thing in other schools forums. Personally, I think you have demonstrated a severe lack of integrity that illustrates how obviously unsuited you are for this profession.

You should know that the questions on the supplemental are confidential, and anyone who completes the secondary application must agree not to disclose the topics.

The purpose of giving an applicant questions without letting them prep is to see how well they write on the fly. Let's face it, if you can't do that, you aren't ready for graduate level education...

Its also very upsetting that you are comfortable violating the honor code. I see that you have posted the same thing in other schools forums. Personally, I think you have demonstrated a severe lack of integrity that illustrates how obviously unsuited you are for this profession.

1. Can you point to where an applicant agrees to not disclose the content of the supplemental application?

2. Please copy and paste, or provide a link to, the honor code that you believe is being violated.

3. I have not made any sort of demonstration here of my integrity one way or another. Posting secondary essays is an extremely common practice on the medical school forums on SDN, where every single school, both MD and DO, have a dedicated thread, where for years the supplemental questions have been posted with no one ever raising a single concern or complaint.

I am an active member on SDN, and have benefitted from the content of the threads there, so I decided to create a few threads here with a similar format. So far, you are the first person to raise a kerfuffle about it. Not to mention the fact that some PA programs have links to their supplemental applications on their websites, where anyone can access them.

The goal of posting the secondaries/supplemental applications on forums like this are so people can prepare their answers while waiting on other components of their application to complete, that may delay it, and put increased time pressure on them, thus constraining the opportunity to compose thoughtful responses to the essays. Another goal is to compare the essays provided by the programs during the current cycle with those of past cycles to look for thematic elements that may help students get a better idea of the culture of the program, to make a more informed decision as to the fit of that program to their interests and goals, and vice versa. Thirdly, posting the content of the essays on a thread allows for creative and constructive discourse regarding the essays, the program and its culture/values/goals and so on, as shown by the questions they ask, and the type of applicant they are looking for. Finally, for you to charge that someone who cannot pen on the fly a 5000 character essay on why they are specifically choosing to apply to a particular program, especially when the applicant may have 10 more equally long essays to write, is, therefore, not qualified for graduate level education is just ridiculous. I'm not even sure how you came to believe such nonsense.

4. I have personally already completed supplemental applications for a couple of programs, and nowhere was it indicated that the content of the essays were meant to be kept confidential, and at no point was I asked or required to acknowledge an "honor code," or any sort of stipulation that I would swear to secrecy the questions asked in the supplemental.

5. Finally, to assert that I am obviously unsuited for the profession based upon me offering to post supplemental application questions is such a patently asinine, absurd, and ludicrous claim. I'm not really even sure what to do with it. 

Listen, we all know how competitive this process is, (and this seems to be the motivation behind your rage rather than your ostensible regard for some non-existent "honor code"), but these threads are used for support and encouragement among applicants. This is not really a good place for the gunners out there looking for every micron of an advantage they can get over others, and get ticked off when they sense that someone else they are competing against may benefit from something posted on these threads.

It's a long application season, and we are just getting started. Try to relax a bit.

Schools treat their supplemental applications differently.  Some post the essay topics online for all to see; and allow you an unlimited amount of time to think on the topic and structure your essay.  However Utah's supplemental application does not work like that.  They send you a link to the multiple short essays, and when you open it, you have a limited amount of time to read the prompt and formulate the answer.   Assuming the supplemental application process remains the same, it would most certainly be violating the honor code, and showing poor integrity to share the essay prompts.  

Assuming the supplemental application process remains the same, it would most certainly be violating the honor code, and showing poor integrity to share the essay prompts.  

Violating the program-specific honor code? Is this code outlined within the supplemental application information? If not, where has it been detailed? If someone posts a link to, or quote from, the honor code with a statement about the expectation of confidentiality with the supplemental application, I will abide those guidelines and will not post the information online.

Thanks for your reply. It's like you said, each program handles these matters uniquely, and if information is presented here that shows a policy that the essays are to remain confidential, none of them will be posted.

Utah is unique in that if you fill out a supplemental, you agree to not share the questions. I think lots of Uber competitive people are jumping to conclusions. Most programs make their supplemental available for the applicant in such a way where the applicant has time.

Since you were unknowing, I do think it's unfair for others to jump in you for it.

We should all be here to support each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Utah is unique in that if you fill out a supplemental, you agree to not share the questions. I think lots of Uber competitive people are jumping to conclusions. Most programs make their supplemental available for the applicant in such a way where the applicant has time.

Since you were unknowing, I do think it's unfair for others to jump in you for it.

We should all be here to support each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your post. I've created a number of threads for other programs with the same format, and this is the first instance where people have pointed out that there may be a violation IF I were to post the supplemental questions (but since I haven't done so, no harm no foul). I have no interest in violating the rules put forth by the institution, after all.

Though only one person overreacted, I certainly appreciate your reasonable and level-headed reply. We are definitely here to support each other, and I look forward to cheering you guys on throughout this cycle.

I contacted the admissions department to get clarification on the supplemental issues that have been discussed in this thread.

There is no honor code or statement signed by applicants agreeing to keep the essays confidential. They did say, however, that their preference is that they are not posted on online forums such as this one, not because they need to remain confidential, but because the program puts a time limit on answers so as to replicate an in-person interview style, requiring applicants to answer extemporaneously, rather than through polished answers. Plus they said that were someone to post the questions on a forum, it would put that applicant at a disadvantage since others would have access to the questions ahead of time, and be allowed to think about them more thoroughly than the student who had to answer under time constraints.

Everything as explained by Utah made perfect sense. And the situation was not as one member on this forum made it seem: that it was a violation of an honor code, demonstrated a lack of integrity, or indicated unfitness for the PA profession.

Now that that is all cleared up, we can move on to the helping and supporting each other part of the application cycle.

I know we are still fresh into this whole process, but I wonder how everyone is feeling and what progress is being made. I submitted my application to nearly all my programs already, except for Utah. I am completing two prereqs still, and the program website states that applications cannot be reviewed until all the prereqs are finished. I hate that I'll be late with my application to this program! I hope it doesn't put me at too great a disadvantage.

• 2 weeks later...

@didymus,  I am excited to see that you are applying to a couple of the same schools I am!

I feel like this thread got off on the wrong foot... So, I started a new thread dedicated to positive energy and support for all applying to UPAP this application cycle!  No need to start this process off with negativity.  Feel free to post applicant info in the new thread, if you are so inclined, and good luck to everyone!

@lanime,

Thanks for the kind words. I don't know that a new thread needed to be started; it's not a huge deal that there was a bit of conflict here, since that is a natural part of life and interaction. It also led to some clarifying information, which was a good thing for everyone reading the thread.

I'm still hopeful for the posts that will be contributed here, so I may stick around this thread, unless it is utterly abandoned by everyone else (but there's no call for that).

Again, I think the negativity was from one person only, and he/she hasn't been back to comment, so the negativity may be over with.

Thanks again for your post!

I'm trying to decide if now is the time to submit my application to Utah. The deadline is fast approaching (August 1st will be here before we know it), but I have 3 prereqs I'm taking this summer, and Utah will not review an application until they are all completed, IIRC. However, my courses won't all be completed until August 7th, since I'm starting one later in the summer.

Does anyone know if Utah has rolling admissions?

@didymus, Utah does not have rolling admissions.  They don't contact people for interviews or rejections until October.  The one advantage to applying early-ish would be that you have access to the supplemental application once your CASPA is in.  So, as long as you don't wait until the very last minute, you should be fine.

And if your good here, so am I! ; )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all I am also applying to the University of Utah PA program.  Timed answers always make me a little nervous since I like to revise my writing a lot (this coming from the girl who has yet submitted her CASPA apps because I am still tweaking some things on my personal statement). Hopefully everyone does well! 

Archived