didymus

2015-2016 Yale University Application Thread

I'm a bit late with applications but I'm having trouble answering the supplemental question regarding what I've done to prepare myself for a program with an emphasis in research and what my strengths and weaknesses are. Is it asking what my strengths and weaknesses are in relation to my research skills in particular or just in general? 

I understood the question to be asking about your strengths and weaknesses as they pertain to research, not in general.  

I recieved an interview invite today! I reserved October 27. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Congrats to you!! I was just wondering when was your CASPA verified and sup app sent? I am still waiting to hear back so just a bit concerned :/ 

Hey Everyone:

Total newbie here joining this ongoing conversation. I got an interview invite by email! I look forward to meeting everyone soon! :-D

For those who might ask about timelines:

Sept. 16 = CASPA e-submitted & complete

Sept. 28 = CASPA verified

Sept. 29 = Yale Supplemental e-submitted

Oct. 1 = Yale File Completion (email)

Oct. 2 = Yale Interview Invite (email)

Oct. 3 = Confirmed for Oct. 22 & BAR Outing night before

Hope this helps and good luck to you all! I am really looking forward to meeting those of you signed up for Oct. 22.

Has anyone received a rejection? My Yale app was completed in Aug., but it appears that they have already been reviewing/assessing applications that were submitted after mine. 

Good luck to those with interviews this week!

@Noelle92:

I am interviewing on the 22nd, but I happen to live in the downtown area, so I can speak as to the Hotels. Your options are:

- La Quinta Inn = cheap; has free shuttle that travels up to 5 miles from hotel; next to IKEA and highway, which is not the best/safest area in town; generally clean; very simple but free continental breakfast

- The Omni Hotel = heart of downtown; very safe area; fancy/usually expensive; within 5-10 min walking distance of Yale PA; serves the best brunch buffet in town on the 19 floor; same floor also has a bar with amazing views at night

- The Study at Yale = very fancy and hipster; great restaurant called Heirloom; right on Chapel St - which is the most popular drag in downtown and forms the SE corner of the Yale Colleges

- The New Haven Hotel = fairly fancy, super clean, closest to Yale PA of all hotels; you can usually get it for a great deal on Hotwire. Its the one thats usually hovering right around $85-100/night with a 4-5 star rating. This also happens to be very close to BAR, the pizza-bar that Yale PA first years hold their night outing at the day before interviews.

Does that help at all?

@Noelle92:

I am interviewing on the 22nd, but I happen to live in the downtown area, so I can speak as to the Hotels. Your options are:

- La Quinta Inn = cheap; has free shuttle that travels up to 5 miles from hotel; next to IKEA and highway, which is not the best/safest area in town; generally clean; very simple but free continental breakfast

- The Omni Hotel = heart of downtown; very safe area; fancy/usually expensive; within 5-10 min walking distance of Yale PA; serves the best brunch buffet in town on the 19 floor; same floor also has a bar with amazing views at night

- The Study at Yale = very fancy and hipster; great restaurant called Heirloom; right on Chapel St - which is the most popular drag in downtown and forms the SE corner of the Yale Colleges

- The New Haven Hotel = fairly fancy, super clean, closest to Yale PA of all hotels; you can usually get it for a great deal on Hotwire. Its the one thats usually hovering right around $85-100/night with a 4-5 star rating. This also happens to be very close to BAR, the pizza-bar that Yale PA first years hold their night outing at the day before interviews.

Does that help at all?

YES thank you so much! Good luck on the 22nd!

Congratulations, jbarbosa9! There were some really great applicants in that first group. It's good to hear that calls are going out. Hoping to hear back soon!

For those that have already interviewed, I was wondering if I could ask you a couple of questions.

Caveat: please be aware I do not under ANY circumstances want to know what kinds of questions they asked; I think that's dishonest and unfair to others.

What I was wondering about, and thus hoping you wouldn't mind answering:

(1) What was the Interview Day like?

(how was it structured/formatted?)

(2) Overall, how stressful was the experience?

(low, avg, high)

(3) Any general advice?

Thanks!

I'm still in disbelief, but I've been invited to interview and signed up for November 17th! The other options listed were November 4th and 5th, for those wondering. I'm so excited!!! Good luck to everyone, and thanks so much to medinterp for the hotel information!

Dear J-Z:

Congratulations! And - You are most welcome. If you have some time, I would also recommend taking the free Yale Tour (awesome campus/architecture and history) offered several times a day) and grabbing a legendary slice of pizza at Frank Pepe's in Wooster Square. Pizza runs in the New Haven bloodstream. You can also visit either of the spectacular Yale Art Museums for free.

PS: By the way, J-Z ... I love your new Magna Carta album. Great stuff! :-) Rap on!

• Upvote 1

Hi! Anyone else have an interview October 15th? And any suggestions on what hotel to stay in for those who have already been up there?

I'm also interviewing on the 15th. But I'm staying in an Airbnb. Are you by chance flying into Bradley airport? I'm looking for someone to share a cab/shuttle with.

AzDL:

There are actually two great options to get to Yale from Bradley or the NY Airports. And you dont need to split fares with someone. They charge a flat fee per person and they shuttle people back and forth all day long, usually about every hour. See below:

(1) CT Limo Shuttle

http://www.ctlimo.com/airportshuttle.html

(this is the service that I always use; it usually drops you off at Phelps Gate, which is the Northern border of the New Haven Green in downtown, and the Southernmost gate to enter Yale College; I'm sure you could arrange hotel/AirB&B drop off with the Driver/Dispatcher too, although most of the hotels are a super close walk from Phelps Gate anyway)

(2) GO! Airport Shuttle

http://www.2theairport.com/shuttles/hartford-bradley.php

Hope this helps some of you!

For those that have already interviewed, I was wondering if I could ask you a couple of questions.

Caveat: please be aware I do not under ANY circumstances want to know what kinds of questions they asked; I think that's dishonest and unfair to others.

What I was wondering about, and thus hoping you wouldn't mind answering:

(1) What was the Interview Day like?

(how was it structured/formatted?)

(2) Overall, how stressful was the experience?

(low, avg, high)

(3) Any general advice?

Thanks!

Congrats on the upcoming interview!  This was my 3rd interview and it was easily the least stressful of all of them.  You got the sense that the program just wants to get to know you as a person, and that they also want you to experience the school.  They are selling you on the school just as much as you are selling yourself.  And they do a great job.  Every single staff member, as well as the current students we met with, were personable and made me feel comfortable.  The interview itself, which is only 30 minutes, feel more like a conversation than an interview.  Aside from the 30 minute interview the rest of the day consists of an information session (lasts about an hour and was extremely informative), sitting in on a class with first year students, lunch with interviewees and several current students (1st, 2nd and 3rd years), a campus tour, and the opportunity to ask any final questions at the end of the day.

In terms of general advice just relax and be yourself.  When you sit down for the one on one interview you will discover that they have really taken the time to get to know you from your application (As much as is possible).  They asked me very specific questions, mostly related to my CASPA essay, but it wasn't done in a way that made me nervous.  It made me feel like they cared about getting to know me.  

Best of luck to you!

• Upvote 3

I'm also interviewing on the 15th. But I'm staying in an Airbnb. Are you by chance flying into Bradley airport? I'm looking for someone to share a cab/shuttle with.

I'm flying into Tweed airport. Are you going to the dinner on October 14th?

• Upvote 1

@medinterp210 Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

@noelle92 Yep, planning on going straight to dinner when I arrive!

• Upvote 1

Hi everyone! I'm a current first year student at Yale and was in your shoes only a year ago so I know how stressed/anxious you must all be. If you have any questions about Yale/Pa school/interviews etc feel free to message me and I'd be glad to assist :)

@Yale2017:

Hi Yale2017! Thanks for writing all of us. We appreciate it!

I was actually just reading about your White Coat Ceremony on the Yale Med website this afternoon. Congrats!

I don't know what questions my fellow applicants currently have, but – I was wondering if you could tell me what a typical weekday is like for you as a Yale PA student from the moment you wake up til the moment you go back to bed. I'm curious to learn more about your general experience in that sense, and what your days are like.

Typical day varies, usually about 830-330, but earlier on fridays. We also will be beginning the longitudinal clinical exp beginning in 2 weeks and when that starts we will have class 830-12 MWF and be going to a clinical site one of those days, depending on our placement.

Usually I wake up around 730 and live within walking distance to class so that helps. Class usually 830-330ish with lunch 12-1. I usually go home after to have a little break, but many people go study at the library. On a good day, I usually study for a few hours that night and go to bed around 11

• Upvote 1