Working 1 full time or 2 part time jobs?

Just curious the thoughts or experiences people have on working 1 full time or 2 part time jobs as a physician assistant? I have a couple offers coming my way and I am having a tough time deciding if I should just dedicate to one and hope it become a full time or accept 2 part time offers, assuming the schedules coincide. Thanks for the input.

Just curious the thoughts or experiences people have on working 1 full time or 2 part time jobs as a physician assistant? I have a couple offers coming my way and I am having a tough time deciding if I should just dedicate to one and hope it become a full time or accept 2 part time offers, assuming the schedules coincide. Thanks for the input.

I think it is pretty common. I know plenty of PAs that work multiple jobs. Don't forgot about PRN opportunities as well.

Hold out for the full time gig.

Competing part time gigs are that, always juggling.

There is also the concern about benefits, will you get any from either job?

It is just not about the salary, you have to consider retirement contributions, insurances, CME funds, professional fees and dues.

Then there is time off. Since you are part time at each, both will look at the fact you are not working full time for them and think you have plenty of time off. They may also be counting on you to cover the time off for those working full time.

Ask for full time hours, they may just say yes.

Good luck.

G Brothers PA-C

I love having 2 part time jobs. You stave off burnout this way, and frankly it is better job security. If one job fails, for whatever reason, you aren't screwed for income. Also, getting time off is usually easier when you aren't a full-time, benefited employee. The company's expectations of you are slightly less. When I want time off i usually just tell them I need X days off. It's not a negotiation or a 2 month advance notice.

The obvious drawbacks are benefits, and sometimes scheduling can be an issue. You may get some benefits, or none. You have to weigh it against the freedom and versatility of having two jobs. No "one" entity owns you. If you want to leave, you can leave without needing to find another full-time job first, and add hours at your other job.

I think this is sort of a generational thing too. My dad's generation still thinks the full-time-job-with-benefits is the working gold standard. Part-timers are seen as slackers. I could care less. I make MORE money than I would at one standard PA job, and I'm not dependent on any one employer for anything.

I currently have one full time and one per diem job. I the past In the past I have worked several per diem jobs a once. I kind of miss that. With per diem work you don't seem to get caught up in the politics/gossip. Thou I do a pretty good job of avoiding it now. The down side is I had no guaranteed hours month to month. I did, however always have more work than I wanted.  

Archived